Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > OGF Kitchen >

Fair style Turkey legs

Old 11-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
viper1

Default Fair style Turkey legs

Well just shared this with a friend that asked so thought Id post it. If you google "Disney Turkey Legs" you get a lot of hits with some of them saying they have the recipe. Here is one I found; if you use your smoker I would not add the liquid smoke.

SMOKED TURKEY
1 cup tender quick salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 tsp. liquid smoke(leave out if using smoker)
1 gallon water (or amount to cover pieces)
1 turkey, chicken or turkey legs

Add all together and keep in covered container in refrigerator. Let stand for 24 hours.

When ready to roast, rinse off turkey and roast 2 hours at 350 degrees (whole bird) and then lower oven to 300 degrees until turkey is done. Turkey legs, pork chops, steaks and roasts can also be used this way. Adjust roast times for different cuts.

NOTE: These would also be delicious made in a smoker or slowly grilled over indirect heat. I'd probably go 225 on these to an internal Temp of 160 to 165 degree.

Also this is suppose to be a good one
SMOKED TURKEY LEGS [close to Disney Style]

The brine:
2 cups tender quick salt
1 cups brown sugar
2 tbsp. onion powder
2 tbsp. garlic powder
4 bay leaves
2 gallons water
4 turkey legs [totally submerged in brine]*
Sweet paprika

Mix all brine ingredients together in a non reactive container. Put the turkey legs in the brine and place the container in the refrigerator. Let stand for at least 48 hours.*

Remove legs from the brine and wipe them dry with paper towels. Rub the legs with a small amount of sweet paprika. Put legs in smoker and set temperature for 225 degrees F. Smoke for at least five hours.

*Large turkey legs will require 3 full days to be fully brined and flavored. Smoking time at 225 degrees F will be about 6 1/2 hours.

Turkey legs, thighs, and wings, chicken parts, pork ribs, and pork chops can also be cured and smoked this way. Adjust the smoke times for different meats.
viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 11-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
cheezemm2
Ohio State Alumni 05'

Send a message via AIM to cheezemm2
Exclamation Update

Well, I wish I had pictures, but....in the food world, when you make something really good, you know what happens to it! I only have the picture of the legs in the brine, once they left the smoker, they vanished!

I used a variation of this recipe and brined in the following for 36 hours:

1 Cup Instant Cure
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 TBSP Onion Powder
4 Bay Leaves

Cooking:

I couldn't stay by the smoker and was removed from the house for around 4 hours so I wrapped the legs in foil and set the oven to 225. After I returned home, I fired up the smoker with some Stubbs Natural Briquets (it's what I had on hand otherwise I would use Mali's Lump Charcoal found in Fischers Foods) I dry smoked them for the remaining 2 hours to allow the meat/skin to toughen up still at 225.

I used maybe 2 cups of apple woodchips for 3 to 4 solid smoking intervals. The turkey legs sucked up smoke more readily than anything I have cooked on the smoker.

The results:

After fixing truck brakes, two grown men were drinking beer and hitting turkey bones off the table going, "@#$#@ this is good". I was one of them.

I saved one for the wife who unwrapped it out of the fridge and ate it cold like a viking. If it passes this test, I have no worries!

Thanks Viper1 for the recipe above, it turned out really well. The only thing I would change is when removing the turkey from the oven and prepping for the dry smoke, I would've used a heavy rib rub on them to give the skin another level of flavor.

This recipe gets the coveted banana lama award
cheezemm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
viper1

Default great

Well glad you liked them! I love brined turkey legs and do feel kinda dumb chewing on a whole leg like a cave man. But hasn't stopped me yet. LOL I assume you used the recipe with 1 gallon water? Should be fine. Enjoy but next time pics! LOL
Old 11-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
cheezemm2
Ohio State Alumni 05'

Send a message via AIM to cheezemm2
Default Yep 1 Gallon Water

Just enough water to cover the turkey legs. I only had 6 little legs, these weren't true "so easy a cave man could do it" size turkey legs. They all had that nice pink coloration all the way through so I was fairly confident in the cure and sustained temps of 225 for 6 hours should do the trick on just about anything living.

Word is out now though and the other 6 or 7 friends who have been bugging me about these are a little less than happy that they didn't get any
cheezemm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
viper1

Default yep

Only complaint I ever had was there isn't enough. Pretty soon you dcon't let on when you smoke so you can get some too.
I asked about the water because cure isn't something to play with. Always keep it right. When it say 1 cup to gallon make sure and do it. As long as you follow directions on the cure you'll be fine. Now Morton tender quick,cure #1 and cure #2 are all different so don't ever use one to the same amount as the others. If in doubt give me a yell or I'm sure boat nut will always help too.

Glad you liked them. Always a treat here. Chicken legs are great that way too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezemm2 View Post
Just enough water to cover the turkey legs. I only had 6 little legs, these weren't true "so easy a cave man could do it" size turkey legs. They all had that nice pink coloration all the way through so I was fairly confident in the cure and sustained temps of 225 for 6 hours should do the trick on just about anything living.

Word is out now though and the other 6 or 7 friends who have been bugging me about these are a little less than happy that they didn't get any
Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
viper1

Default Fair legs

Made some of the Disney Turkey Legs up. So after brining them for 72 hours I smoked at 225 degrees for 2 hours with Hickory. Then preceded cooking at 225 till IT of 167 degrees. Four legs only took 2 1/2 hours. It is Delicious and meat is tender and pink. Taste hammy which I was after. Wife loved them so I guess they passed the test! Skin was tough because I didn't finish at 300 or better but we don't eat the skin and give that to our dogs who also enjoy it. Sprinkled with a hot smoked paprika. Only cooked 4 large legs because I changed the recipe to try. Saved two for another meal. Will make and freeze more next time.
OGF Kitchen

OGF Kitchen

And the Money Shot!!

OGF Kitchen