Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > The Lodge >

Deer Checking: Automated Game-Check & Permanent Tagging

Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
reel

Default Deer Checking: Automated Game-Check & Permanent Tagging

OK I read this. Could someone tell me what it says ? ?
The automated game-check and permanent tagging process no longer requires hunters to transport their deer to an official game-check station for permanent tagging. License agents will process game-check transactions, but will not visually inspect or permanently tag deer on behalf of hunters.

Metal tags have been discontinued. Hunters will not receive a metal tag for their deer.

Hunters are encouraged to complete the automated game-check and permanent tagging process in a sheltered area.

Hunters must have their permit with the attached permanent tag in hand to complete the game-check and permanent tagging proces. Hunters can complete the automated game-check and permanent tagging process in one of three ways:

Call 1-877-TAGITOH (1-877-824-4864)
Visit wildohio.com. Click on "Wild Ohio Customer Center" and then click on "Game Check: Report a Deer or Turkey Harvest." To game-check a harvest online, make sure to use a computer hooked to a printer. A game check receipt will be issued and SHOULD be printed. When using a smartphone for game-check, you MUST SAVE the game-check receipt .pdf provided at the end of the transaction to print out later.
Visit any authorized license sales agent. A list of sales agents can be found at wildohio.com. Hunters do not need to take their deer to the agent for the game-check. Authorized license sales agents will be available for game check during normal business hours. Call for exact hours of operation before you go.

Regardless of the game-check method, the hunter must provide the 10-digit permit number, which is printed in large numbers on every permit.

The hunter must answer a series of questions like those traditionally asked at game-check stations. At the end of the process, the hunter will be issued an 18-digit permanent tag number. The first six digits are pre-printed on the permanent tag(s). When a hunter has game-checked their deer by Web or agent, they will receive a game-check receipt with their permanent tag number printed on it. Hunters using the telephone game-check method will receive the final 12 digits of the number over the phone. The first six digits are pre-printed on the permanent tag(s).

The 18-digit permanent tag number must be written on the permanent tag(s) in the spaces provided on the permanent tag(s). Remember, the first six digits are pre-printed on the permanent tag(s). The hunter must write the date and time of kill on the permanent tag and sign it.

DEER HUNTERS must write the permanent tag number on BOTH permanent tags. Like the metal tag, the completed permanent tag must then be attached to the deer. The temporary tag can be discarded. The game-check and permanent tagging process is complete.

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
mlayers

I don't know but I am sure it is going to confuse the ____ out of some of us......Matt
mlayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
FISHIN 2

Default Landowner

Also states a landowner cannot use this system. They must present their animal to a licenseing agent to finish their deer and turkey check in process. At least I took it to read like that, duh. Like they say, gonna confuse alot of people. Hope the GW sets up a drive by Q&A station !!! Also has no info on where these licensing agent are located. You must already know where they are located, kinda dumb not at least posting their locations as they did for check-in stations.

Last edited by FISHIN 2; 09-07-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: add
FISHIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
crappiedude

If it's like KY just call the number and follow the instructions. Very easy to do.
Or just go online and do it on the computer.

Anything is better than check stations.
crappiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
Sharp Charge

You still field tag your deer like normal, but when you get home you either call the number or go to the website and complete the tagging process.

http://ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/pub085.pdf Page 8 explains it all better.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
M.Magis

This isn’t difficult, and it’s been well documented for at least two years that it was coming. Not sure the surprise here, but it’s quite simple. Instead of finding an open check station to check a deer or turkey, now we can do it on line or over the phone. And instead of a number being stamped on a metal tag, it’s on a piece of paper. That’s it, no other differences. I didn’t think it was hard to understand, but it must be. I have no idea where you would get the idea that landowners can’t use it, but that’s not true. This started back in the spring and we used it for turkey season. To me, this is the best thing the DNR has implemented for years. I also am completely baffled how one would think this has anything to do with crop damage permits. That’s a whole different subject, though apparently just as confusing.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
TomC

shoot a deer, call the number, go thru the automated phone thing, get the tag number, your done. I love it simple and easy, and you dont have to shop at a check station now.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
crappiedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Magis View Post
This isn’t difficult.... To me, this is the best thing the DNR has implemented in years. I also am completely baffled how one would think this has anything to do with crop damage permits. That’s a whole different subject, though apparently just as confusing.
X2. I know that answer confused me
Old 09-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Header

Default Call in tags

The landowners can use the call in method: Taken from page 16 off the previous hot link provided by Sharp Charge.

STEP 1 - The landowner hunter must immediately
attach the homemade temporary
tag to the deer or tur key at
the place where it fell.
Once finished with Step 1, the hunter legally
possesses the deer or tur key and
is free to transport it to its final destination
STEP 2 - The hunter must complete the
automated game check and permanent
tagging process by 11:30 p.m. on
the day of the harvest.

Last edited by Header; 09-08-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
M.Magis

A land owner can also use the online method. I used it this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIN 2 View Post
Also has no info on where these licensing agent are located. You must already know where they are located, kinda dumb not at least posting their locations as they did for check-in stations.
Did you miss this part?

Quote:
A list of sales agents can be found at wildohio.com.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
FISHIN 2

Default Landowners

On page 16, column 2, paragraph 3, in bold red writing. Regulations book says " LANDOWNERS CANNOT USE THE TELEPHONE GAME CHECK OPTION" , That's where I got it from. Seems a little confusing to me.Sounds like the only option for a landowner will be internet access or a license agent.The smartphone potion is internet access also.No, caught the part of internet agent checking, just a few folks won't have the fore thought to find an agent when they're 4 counties from home. Would still be nice to have it in the book. What's a couple more printed pages for the conveinience.

Last edited by FISHIN 2; 09-08-2011 at 04:37 PM.
FISHIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
M.Magis

Am I misunderstanding? How are the license agents any different than they've always been? There was no change with that.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
wildman

I think it is the worst thing that the ODNR could of done. It is about saving a few buck's for them and a little convenience for others. But there are no positives only negative's for everything else. You can scout, work in food plots spend money on corn, get up at the butt crack of dawn, gut your deer, drag it, but there is a problem taking it to a check in station. Come on....

Someone shoots a buck that they think is the big one that they have been after but it isn't... then it gets called in as a doe.

or the buy there tag on line. copy it a few times. Shoot there deer put it on filled out take it home butcher it throw tag away. Next hunt grab copy of the one tag they bought then hunt again..

With the tags lost to non-callers they may not be saving as much as they think.

Yea Yea Yea cheaters are going to cheat. Well they just made it a thousand times easier...

Only 1 out of 500 deer will be seen by anyone that matters... That's coming from a GW and he feels the same way.. He does like the fact that he has less work dealing with tag's though...

Ohio has the best deer hunting in the country for the reason of 1 buck only.
This year more bucks will be killed and not documented..

The deer #'s will be off and I bet the #'s will be lower this year.

3 different groups of people I know in KY: I asked how they liked the system 1 said that the deer that gets tagged in his area are only the ones that are worthy.. another said that to many people take advantage of it. and the 3rd said it easy but it's to easy. he said that as he laughed. One is an old friend another is one of my customers and the 3 was a guy that I played softball with once...

Bad is what it is! Anyone that say's different lives in a bubble not reality..

Last edited by wildman; 09-09-2011 at 11:14 PM.
wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
Lundy

Wildman,

These new regulations will not make me or or anyone I know suddenly start to take deer illegally.

I do not, have not, and will not spend anytime trying to think of ways to cheat the system, I will just follow the law. You list many ways you believe the system can be circumvented.

I like the new system and look forward to using it this year. My glass is half full and clearly see all of the benefits of the new system for hunters. Your glass appears to be half empty and leaking
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
ostbucks98

Honest people are honest and scum bags are scumbags this isnt going to change peoples morals
ostbucks98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
crappiedude

I know so many people now who wouldn't go to check station in Oh & In because they have such limited hours that they're never open when they need them. They just take them home and butcher them.
It's only going to matter to honest people anyway.
If anyone thinks the past system prevented the same abuses, you're sadly mistaken.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
Ted Dressel

It will make hunting on Hollidays easier.And evening hunts.I'm all for it.
Ted Dressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
BassBlaster

Send a message via AIM to BassBlaster Send a message via Yahoo to BassBlaster

I'm with Wildman, I have been against this from the beginning. You all can say what you want but I'd lay money down that there is a record number of antlerless deer checked this year or the overall number is just way low from previous years. I agree that scumbags are scumbags and honest people are honest people but its not always one or the other. Theres a whole bunch of people in the middle that may just be opertunistic scumbags and ODNR is just making this way to simple. I recently saw a study(just last week but cant remember where, I'll look it up if anyone is interested)that said 80% of men would cheat on thier wives or girlfriends if they knew up front that she would never find out. Opertunistic scumbags, they are out there and we'll see them this hunting season!!

On another note, I'm also a firm believer that the muzzle loader season being so late in the year is a bad idea. I wonder how many bucks are killed and tagged antlerless because they have allready dropped? Back when season was still in Dec, my buddy shot a buck and one side fell off when it hit the ground. The other side come off in his hand as he was draggin it out. He told the lady at the check station it was a buck and he had the antlers in the truck. She said if they are not on the deer, it is antlerless. No one keeps records on these bucks.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #19
Fish-N-Fool

I'm all for it...as others have said it changes nothing for me expcept saves me time, gas, and a hassel of driving to a check station. It is great for early season hunting too when it is a little (or a lot!) warm out there.

I always ask the doubters....are YOU all of sudden going to break the rules and tag multiple bucks in? Are you? If you answer no than you prove nothing has changed...poachers will continue to poach and hunters will continue to obey bag limits.

As somebody else said it is already just as darn easy to kill a deer and butcher it...very unlikely to get caught IMO. Officers can and will ask for records from the deer processors and taxidermists (especially here)... you still need a tag and #. It will be easy for officers to identify a guy checking bucks as does...and they will. It isn't as if people will be poaching bucks and taking to taxis & processors...they will get caught with this new system.

So it goes back to the old "mom, grand dad, wife" gets a tag...people that do this are already doing it...no change; other than the records are now easier to review that DNR has it stored in an access like database in real time. Your wife/grand dad/daughter (name your search) tags a buck every 4 years...DNR runs a query on your name and it pops right up.....they come see you to talk. Maybe your wife hunts and has killed a buck every now and again....maye she don't and you tagged 2 a few times - bang! More time to devote to enforcement not dealing with manual processing of tags.

Wildman - I buy my tags on-line; no need to copy as I can just print 50 of them when I buy it if I want to. I always print 3 copies; I keep 1 in my truck, 1 on me & 1 at home in my desk (I am a little anal - ask my wife). Somebody can already do this easily.

We basically police ourselves as Ohio sportsman...always have. There isn't enough manpower for DNR to police the community...and neither party wants that! Birds of a feather flock together....I couldn't even imagine what my father, brother, and hunting buddies would say if I just shot two bucks and said "well it's easy now you just call it in as antlerless and cut it up yourself" That just wouldn't be acceptable and I wouldn't find it acceptable behavior by any of them! Poachers will poach...we just need to keep turning them in.

I really don't see how this changes anything other than makes it easy for 99% of us

Interesting to see actual statistics after the year has closed....if it's true the system is flawed there will be a record % of the kill tagged as antlerless and less deer tagged overall. We'll know by the end of January.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
crappiedude

A few years back, I located a monster buck. This was the biggest buck I have seen in over 30 years of bow hunting. He'd been feeding in the back of a bean field all summer long.
By opening day of bow season his headless body was discovered on an adjacent farm. He was the 2nd good buck in a few years harvested off that field before the season that I know of. I hear of this quite a bit.
No check in system saved him, it only makes it harder for the rest of us.