Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Central Ohio Fishing Reports >

Hoover Reservoir

Old 07-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
ThreeAmigosFishingOhio

Default Hoover Reservoir

Three Amigos went fishing last night at the retention wall below Hoover, Jozee caught a small stripper and that was it. Headed off to Galena fishing pier for catfish. Read more on the blog..

Blog Spot - http://threeamigosfishingohio.blogspot.com/
ThreeAmigosFishingOhio is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
hatfield75

Three Amigos, I have caught fish this year at Alum, Griggs, Delaware and Oshay. I have fished Hoover over a dozen times and been shut out. I don't know about anyone else but I would not mind if they drain the lake and build the stupid Westerville Walmart on its corpse just so I would not be tempted/compelled to fish there again.

Last edited by hatfield75; 07-01-2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: grammar
hatfield75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
ThreeAmigosFishingOhio

We could hear the bass just freaking annihilating the top water, just couldn't see real well. We tried some bass lures, top water and spinner baits. But nothing.. I caught the one cat of the night and about a half hour later got a good bite but that was it.. We were using the blood ball catfish bait.. Anyone else ever use these? It was my first time using them. Usually use livers.. I have read that a lot people say big gold fish, blue gill are best.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
KWaller
BASS prodigy

Send a message via MSN to KWaller

Man you guys catchin strippers! I think you mean stripers haha.
Kyle
HPT
CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeAmigosFishingOhio View Post
Three Amigos went fishing last night at the retention wall below Hoover, Jozee caught a small stripper and that was it. Headed off to Galena fishing pier for catfish. Read more on the blog..

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors
KWaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
SwollenGoat
Scourge of Hoover

FYI - you were likely catching whitebass, and that was what you were hearing hit the topwater.

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink....
When they wake up in the morning thats the best they are going to feel all day!"

–Frank Sinatra
SwollenGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
ThreeAmigosFishingOhio

White bass, I think that's right. Jozee caught it and through it back before I got on the wall. We were in Galena when the bass were hitting the top water. He has the picture and will post it later, I am sure. Nice catch on my spelling error...

Old 07-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
st.slippy

I agree, no fish in Hoover!! Don't even try there. Just leave it full as it is vital to the Water supply. Not worth fishing though. Nice job on the strippers! I didn't know they hung out down there. Fishing gets me in enough trouble with the wife, I definitely don't need to go chasing strippers at the local reservoirs
st.slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
gone2fish

Now I am curious. What is the best bait to catch strippers below Hover? I read someplace that a professional football player used a sack full of money and made it "rain". Don't know if he was at Hover.
gone2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
toad
geriatrics supporter

a handfull of dollar bills is the best bait

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
USMC_Galloway

Seeing as they called a crappie they caught a bass, who knows if they were really catching strippers. For all we know they could of been your run of the mill prostitute. For them all you need is a hand full of change.
USMC_Galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
BassBoss
Sitting somewhere fishing

Hoover, all I fish there is one or two things, First a rooster tail on any rocks, two a minnow under a slip bobber. First the rooster tail, I've caught white bass numerous times on them, a flathead catfish about 4 Lbs, and a bucketfull of crappie and bass. Slip bobber W minnow I've caught about a 100 crappie total in like three trips there total, and a few channels. Hope you like the tops so yeah.
BassBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
jparrish

Really That will work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
a handfull of dollar bills is the best bait
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone2fish View Post
Now I am curious. What is the best bait to catch strippers below Hover? I read someplace that a professional football player used a sack full of money and made it "rain". Don't know if he was at Hover.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
moto

I love fishing Hoover. I always get lucky with eyes, bass and crappie. I have issues with Alum...
Old 07-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
jparrish

I have never knowingly got any eye's EVER. that seems to be something I will have to go for next time. They have any special baits they like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto View Post
I love fishing Hoover. I always get lucky with eyes, bass and crappie. I have issues with Alum...
Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparrish View Post
I have never knowingly got any eye's EVER. that seems to be something I will have to go for next time. They have any special baits they like?
I bottom bounce with a crawler harness a quarter mile south of sunbury bridge on the east side of lake. Also near oxbow boat ramp I herd is a good area as well. The guy i talked to uses worm tipped jigs green color there. He said something about an old creek bed in that location. From the boat ramp head out to middle of lake where the water gets around 12' he did mention he catches his limit there each trip. I have tried there once and caught a huge white bass and a catfish but then again I was bottom bouncing not jigging.

Last edited by moto; 07-06-2011 at 10:58 AM.
moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #16
jparrish

Thanks for the info! I just picked up a little Boat over the weekend so their will be a good chance I will get to fish that spot sooner than later. But for the time being I am just stuck to the bank Few more weeks..I have a trip to Myrtle Beach next week that is taking my money away from me right now but after I will be on the lookout for a motor for the little guy..
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #17
moto

I'm full electric on Hoover. I have a 12ft Jon with a 40 thrust trolling motor. I bought a good deep cycle battery and I have yet ran the battery dry. Most of my fishing trips are 7 hours on average. I have debated if I want to invest in a boat motor.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
jparrish

Wow 7 Hrs? That's a lot longer that I was thinking one would go..Heck maybe I'll just pick one of them up!! That seems like a better deal for me. How much gear are you packin on when you go out also? I am a bigboy so I may need to get two batteries to get out for the same time..lol Anyways here she is in all of her glory..

Central Ohio Fishing Reports

Quote:
I'm full electric on Hoover. I have a 12ft Jon with a 40 thrust trolling motor. I bought a good deep cycle battery and I have yet ran the battery dry. Most of my fishing trips are 7 hours on average. I have debated if I want to invest in a boat motor.

Last edited by jparrish; 07-07-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Added pic
jparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #19
moto

I have two people in the boat two anchors 3 poles fish finder so I'm totally loaded I bought the battery from walmart it was under 100 I can get the model # when I get home. They have the trolling motor there too. it actually pushes my boat fairly well. just make sure you have a battery meter and an extra oar just in case. I think a lot of people under estimate the longevity of deep cycle batteries. after the 7 hour trip I have either half or a quarter of the battery left. I have never been stranded.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
jparrish

Dang that is alot of stuff!! you'll have to snap a photo of your beast..Were did you get your motor from? I am looking on craigslist right now, a few good deals but nothing to run after yet.

Quote:
I have two people in the boat two anchors 3 poles fish finder so I'm totally loaded I bought the battery from walmart it was under 100 I can get the model # when I get home. They have the trolling motor there too. it actually pushes my boat fairly well. just make sure you have a battery meter and an extra oar just in case. I think a lot of people under estimate the longevity of deep cycle batteries. after the 7 hour trip I have either half or a quarter of the battery left. I have never been stranded.