Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Lake Erie Fishing Reports > Lake Erie General Discussions >

Walker TripZ, Tru-Trip, or Jet

Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
ReelTimeWes

Default Walker TripZ, Tru-Trip, or Jet

My prefered trolling method is cranks but seems that spoons are producing good lately. I'm looking to add more divers to my arsenal. I have a few Jet 30's & 40's now. Have been looking at the Walket TripZ and the Tru-Trip divers. I like having the ability to trip them as aposed to the Jets. Any pros or cons to either? They look to be close in price to each other.

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Jim Stedke

You can add a tripping devise to your existing Jets also. Standardize on one and don't look back. And be ready to take off up to 100 white bass & white perch in 1 days fishing.
Jim Stedke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
boatnut

I haven't run jets in quite awhile but seems most of the "big boys" like pooh bear, sara J, etc run the newer tru-trips. I think you can get down deeper with them but with shorter leads?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
bones.

Tru-Trips are the way to go. The release mechanism is very well designed, smooth and easy to adjust. The new 40 will go 40 foot as opposed to the Luhr Jenson only going 36 foot or so. The 50 will get you to near 60 foot. I ran the 50's last year and they never failed to release. If fishing the islands area or water less than 35 feet the 40 would be the way to go. If deeper than that use the 50.
bones. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
ReelTimeWes

Yeah I see alot of the "big boys" running the Tru-Trips. They just look huge to me.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
Dawitner

Default Slide divers

Personally I like slide divers instead of Dipsy's. The new ones with the release arm always trip and they trip when you want to reel them in, no more dragging in a dipsy that won't release. Another plus is you can vary the lead to any length you want and not have to tie anything extra on the line.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Fish Scalper

The only brand suitable for use on small boards or with mono are Luhr Jensen's out of the package in my opinion. Harder to trip anything on mono or behind a small board. You didn't say what your setup is or board style is, but the big boy's run big boy gear all the way around.
Fish Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
CarpetBagger
Mr. OGF

Just got my 1st batch of Tru-Trips on the boat. I got both 50s and 40s for this season...just looking to give em a shot see how they work...Look like a winner...I like the idea of getting 50ft down with 150ft of line makes for some quicker sets off the boards..

My only concern is how steep, i have been told, they dive once the pressure hits em...little concerned about running a 125' lead off the board and trying to get it over a 150' dipsy diver without having em run into one another...We'll see i guess...

http://www.CarpetbaggerCharters.com

THE BEAST IN THE EAST

Last edited by CarpetBagger; 06-08-2011 at 02:51 PM.
CarpetBagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
MDBuckeye

Would the tadpoles also be something to consider with a diver? They look like a good bet and with the results from this past weekends tourney's they work. I just wonder if they are quite as good in the deeper water in the middle basin.
MDBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
ReelTimeWes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBuckeye View Post
Would the tadpoles also be something to consider with a diver? They look like a good bet and with the results from this past weekends tourney's they work. I just wonder if they are quite as good in the deeper water in the middle basin.
Don't know but I have been seeing more post on people running the tadpoles. I primarily fish the western basin.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
CarpetBagger
Mr. OGF

You dont have to buy the offshore set to be successful... We run 2-5oz drop weights on a lot of gear in the summer fishing for walleye....Rubber band the weight to the line when its coming in you just grab and snap the band and your in business...

Ebay has weights DIRT CHEAP....

http://www.CarpetbaggerCharters.com

THE BEAST IN THE EAST

Last edited by CarpetBagger; 06-09-2011 at 11:19 AM.
CarpetBagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
Double J
Capt Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpetBagger View Post
Just got my 1st batch of Tru-Trips on the boat. I got both 50s and 40s for this season...just looking to give em a shot see how they work...Look like a winner...I like the idea of getting 50ft down with 150ft of line makes for some quicker sets off the boards..

My only concern is how steep, i have been told, they dive once the pressure hits em...little concerned about running a 125' lead off the board and trying to get it over a 150' dipsy diver without having em run into one another...We'll see i guess...
I've been using the tru trips this year and i can tell you they pull very hard and require big big boards!average sized big boards wont cut it.the short leads are a big advantage but create a problem with the divers though.we've been pulling eyes with 60 foot leads this past week off geneva with tru trip
40's,excellent product.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #13
Double J
Capt Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelTimeWes View Post
My prefered trolling method is cranks but seems that spoons are producing good lately. I'm looking to add more divers to my arsenal. I have a few Jet 30's & 40's now. Have been looking at the Walket TripZ and the Tru-Trip divers. I like having the ability to trip them as aposed to the Jets. Any pros or cons to either? They look to be close in price to each other.
tru trips pull super hard....better have serious big boards to tow em!they do work great though,short leads are nice!
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote