Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > The Lounge >

Defunct , or abandoned former fairgrounds

Old 06-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
yonderfishin

Default Defunct , or abandoned former fairgrounds

Does anyone know the location or rumored location of any "former" farirgrounds no longer used for that purpose , in Ohio ?
yonderfishin is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 06-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
sonar

YES I DO!!! As a matter of fact,I know that the old Summit Co. F,Gs site,on North street,below the rt.8bridge,in Akron,is now called Old Forge field,and the Akron Public Schools,own it,there was a horse track,and stable,barn,vets camp...And also a grand stands, made entirely of concrete ,it now has the transportation,central distribution,warehouse , grounds dept,communications,central food services &purchasing dept. + a football field,baseball,&soccer fields on it ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<-----
sonar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
big red

plain city in union county.it's now called past time park.alot of the buildings are stil there with a softball field,little league field.they hold a steam and power show there and if i remember correctly,a sweetcorn fest.
big red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
BuzzBob
Take a Dad fishing

Lookin to do some dirt fishin huh yonderfishin?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
freyedknot
useless poster

chipewa lake park in medina county.
freyedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
yonderfishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBob View Post
Lookin to do some dirt fishin huh yonderfishin?

Yep well doing some research toward it anyway.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will keep adding to my list. Next comes finding the ownwers and getting permission to go there , but these ones are looking tough to impossible , still worth looking into though.

I have heard talk of a few places in the Toledo or Perrysburg area but digging up information on these is pretty difficult. It helps if the location is now a field or just stand of woods but most things get leveled and something else built over them. The history of these places are still interesting to read about even if they are of limits. I usually concentrate on empty lots in my area , look up the owner and go from there but I know there has got to be something better out there somewhere.

Last edited by yonderfishin; 06-06-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
robertj298

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonderfishin View Post
Yep well doing some research toward it anyway.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will keep adding to my list. Next comes finding the ownwers and getting permission to go there , but these ones are looking tough to impossible , still worth looking into though.
I think you will find that most have already been hunted to death. I used to do the same thing. lol
robertj298 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
jennis9
Fish against the fish...

My father gave Martys9 a metal detector and we did a little research on it... I believe there is a great forum for 'dirt fishing' (love that) ... you probably already know this though... I went there to look up some information. http://metaldetectingforum.com/ The stories are cool.
jennis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
yonderfishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj298 View Post
I think you will find that most have already been hunted to death. I used to do the same thing. lol
Yeah , unfortunately most have already been hunted to death , but depending on the site there can still be some virgin ground there to hunt. Lots of people concentrate on only the most obvious areas and walk right past good ground because it dont look as attractive and they dont realize it looked MUCH different 40 to 100 years ago. There has also got to be some undiscovered honey holes out there that for one reason or another have been completely ignored or forgotten about. Its just gonna take a lot of work or luck to find them.

When I lived in Georgia I was given a tip on a really old former fairground that had been hunted to death over the years and was still being hit hard on a regular basis. After locating it , behind a little small town flea market , I went out there and was able to still find buffalo nickels and silver coins spread out all over the place , I bet they are still pulling goodies out of that spot , I have never before or since seen any place so loaded with old coins.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
yonderfishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennis9 View Post
My father gave Martys9 a metal detector and we did a little research on it... I believe there is a great forum for 'dirt fishing' (love that) ... you probably already know this though... I went there to look up some information. http://metaldetectingforum.com/ The stories are cool.
I have been a member on that site for a long time ( ohiochris ) , and a few other ones too. Its a really good source of information
Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
robertj298

Quote:
Yeah , unfortunately most have already been hunted to death , but depending on the site there can still be some virgin ground there to hunt. Lots of people concentrate on only the most obvious areas and walk right past good ground because it dont look as attractive and they dont realize it looked MUCH different 40 to 100 years ago. There has also got to be some undiscovered honey holes out there that for one reason or another have been completely ignored or forgotten about. Its just gonna take a lot of work or luck to find them.

When I lived in Georgia I was given a tip on a really old former fairground that had been hunted to death over the years and was still being hit hard on a regular basis. After locating it , behind a little small town flea market , I went out there and was able to still find buffalo nickels and silver coins spread out all over the place , I bet they are still pulling goodies out of that spot , I have never before or since seen any place so loaded with old coins.
I'm originally from columbus and now live in mt. blanchard but back in the day I found a ton of stuff at some of the old parks in columbus such as franklin and schiller. Up here I've found a few decent spots such as an old baseball field that is now just a corn field. I love places like that because being plowed every year something new keeps being churned up
Old 06-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
big red

why limit yourself to the old fairgrounds.try some of the old country schools that may still be standing or you may find where they once stood.with todays detectors,you may finds alot more that others missed with the older detectors.there are endless locations of these around.
big red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
yonderfishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by big red View Post
why limit yourself to the old fairgrounds.try some of the old country schools that may still be standing or you may find where they once stood.with todays detectors,you may finds alot more that others missed with the older detectors.there are endless locations of these around.
I do that too , atleast in my general area. They are much easier to find though and are among the most detected sites so usually not as productive unless I could stumble on to one of those rare forgotten about ones. I research anything old , I just happen to be in fairground mode at the moment.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
yonderfishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj298 View Post
I'm originally from columbus and now live in mt. blanchard but back in the day I found a ton of stuff at some of the old parks in columbus such as franklin and schiller. Up here I've found a few decent spots such as an old baseball field that is now just a corn field. I love places like that because being plowed every year something new keeps being churned up
Good score finding that old baseball field , something like that could be difficult to find.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
robertj298

Quote:
Good score finding that old baseball field , something like that could be difficult to find.
It does get a little tricky. I find reading old newspapers and looking at old county atlases help
Old 06-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
viper1

Default hunting

Ha ha reminds me when I was young. A friend of mine and me use to go down to this neighbor hood bar. Mostly just older guys went there. On saturday and sunday mornings wed search the parking lot. Alwys found lots of coins from the druncks. Sorry didnt mean to still the thread. Just brought back good memories.
viper1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
JimmyMac

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  
 Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  

Total Awards: 2

Oh man I gotta get out of this thread, My wife already wants me to dump a few hobbies, this is all way to interesting and makes me want a metal detector...
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
yonderfishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Oh man I gotta get out of this thread, My wife already wants me to dump a few hobbies, this is all way to interesting and makes me want a metal detector...
Just tell her what I tell my wife ( and she knows its true too ) , the hobbies keep me busy and out of trouble. They also let me get away from her for a while , which when you have been married for a long time is a good thing. Though I would like it better if she shared some interest in my hobbies , best I can hope for though is that she understands their importance.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
BuzzBob
Take a Dad fishing

Yonder-Last year I found a park that is members only. It's in a housing development right in the middle of a town of 35,000 people. I wrote and got permission to hunt last fall.

Imagine my shock when every few feet I hit a coin! I kid you not. The first day I couldn't believe how sore i was from all the kneeling and standing. This park has not been hit my a detector in a long time. Picked one silver dime and a lot of wheats.

Found one spot where I hit a penny every sweep. Must have been leftovers from an Easter Egg hunt or something. I actually stopped digging and wanted to save the light of day for better stuff. Imagine, turning your back on guaranteed money!

Charging the XLT right now!

Look me up on FB as "Finding Treasure"
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #20
yonderfishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBob View Post
Yonder-Last year I found a park that is members only. It's in a housing development right in the middle of a town of 35,000 people. I wrote and got permission to hunt last fall.

Imagine my shock when every few feet I hit a coin! I kid you not. The first day I couldn't believe how sore i was from all the kneeling and standing. This park has not been hit my a detector in a long time. Picked one silver dime and a lot of wheats.

Found one spot where I hit a penny every sweep. Must have been leftovers from an Easter Egg hunt or something. I actually stopped digging and wanted to save the light of day for better stuff. Imagine, turning your back on guaranteed money!

Charging the XLT right now!

Look me up on FB as "Finding Treasure"

Sounds like that place was a lot of fun. It must have been there for a while if there was silver and wheats in it.