Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports >

Electric only Lakes?

Old 04-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
ProHawg

Default Electric only Lakes?

I was wondering which electric lakes around northeastern Ohio I can put my boat in and fish. I have a bass boat with a 115 hp motor on back. I am interested in maybe fishing like Mogadore, but not sure if it is possible because I can't take my engine off. I can only trim my motor out of the water. I hear some lakes won't even let you on the water with a gas motor on your boat......which lakes are these? Thanks
ProHawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 04-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
mpd5094

You're not allowed to have the motor on the boat at Mogadore. You are allowed at Nimisilla, but can't use it.

"Gone fishin', be back for deer season!"
mpd5094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
snag

you can use your boat at wingfoot with your electric motor,no mogadore or la due at all,deer creek and walborn are ok with a big motor on but run by elec-.. think thats about it in this area.......
snag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Bobinstow90

Lake Hodgson (Ravenna water supply) lets ya fish with main engine tipped up running electric only. Costs a few bucks but it's a beautiful little lake to fish and produces bass, crappie, cats, gills, eyes.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
rustyhooks

a couple weekends ago at nimisila i watched a guy with a bass boat putting his boat back on the trailer . in the process he lowered his gas motor , fired it up ,and ran the boat up on the trailer.
i think i know the answer , but , is that legal?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Nipididdee

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  
 Lake Erie Region  

Total Awards: 2

Akron Water Supply lakes- Moggie, LaDue and East Branch you are not even permitted to have a gas tank in the rig.

Checkout the ODNR homepage and search your lakes desired- the restrictions or HP limits are identified.

www.dobass.com
Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyhooks View Post
a couple weekends ago at nimisila i watched a guy with a bass boat putting his boat back on the trailer . in the process he lowered his gas motor , fired it up ,and ran the boat up on the trailer.
i think i know the answer , but , is that legal?
It's actions like that will no doubt lead to the total demise of what we're fortunate to have now, there's always someone that has to push the envelope you know.
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
rustyhooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
It's actions like that will no doubt lead to the total demise of what we're fortunate to have now, there's always someone that has to push the envelope you know.
thats exactly what i was thinking . i watched the guy as he trailered his boat and pulled it up the ramp, the whole time i was thinking to myself
.." man, ya spend all the money on a very nice bass rig , nice fishing gear , a big arse merc on the back, a ton of lures , and you gotta pull some a-hole trick like that? "
granted , he was by himself, but the rules are the rules.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
JF1

Actually....yes that is allowed. I have talked to the rangers at Deer Creek and Nimisila on more than one occasion and asked if I were allowed to "power load" my boat after a day of fishing. I have also fished several tournaments on each of those lakes, and at the end of the day we ALL power loaded our boats.....while the ranger was present.

It makes it alot faster to load the boat, thus not tying up the ramp if someone else were coming to load their boat....
Old 04-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Cull'in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1 View Post
Actually....yes that is allowed. I have talked to the rangers at Deer Creek and Nimisila on more than one occasion and asked if I were allowed to "power load" my boat after a day of fishing. I have also fished several tournaments on each of those lakes, and at the end of the day we ALL power loaded our boats.....while the ranger was present.

It makes it alot faster to load the boat, thus not tying up the ramp if someone else were coming to load their boat....
Correct...kinda!
It's at the discretion of the ranger. Some allow you to use the gas motor to load up and a few will not.
There's one guy at Nim who has asked me keep my prop out of the water while fishing. I asked him about loading up, his reply, "Not while I'm working".
I thanked him and went on my way...with my prop up!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
fakebait

Welcome to the gray area of life. When will things get back to black & white? I see this everyday everywhere. Interpretation of laws and rules basically allows people to do whatever they want anymore. When the rangers do not follow or understand the rules that is bad. I feel that the rangers that allow it just do not want to bother with it because it means doing work. The one ranger that will enforce it probally cares about his job and is willing to do it. I'm not saying one way or the other is right or wrong but; when you have people in the same employment as rangers enforcing two different decisions of the same rule makes you wonder which one is right. Hence this thread.
fakebait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
snake69
Equal opportunity fishing

Out of all the electric lakes, this is the only one (Nimisilla) I've seen this happen on more than say a half dozen times. At the time, my 14' MFG had a 25 hp engine, but of course, I was able to load quite easily. One time though, a quick storm blew in, but I weathered it out because I thought with all my tatoos and all, they would "size me up" based on appearance alone, and I'd pay a hefty fine. Now that I think of it, it happened twice....battery died on me. I limped...very slowly back. I think that's when I went to 2 batteries in series so I didn't have to worry about that problem anymore!!

"If everyone concentrated on the important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles!!"
snake69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
ZEBRACON1

This is one of the better threads I've read on the site lately. Lots of good info. I didn't know you could take a med/big motored boat on Walborn. I've got an 18' aluminum bass boat with a 70hp motor now so I had drawn the conclusion that my days on these 10 horse lakes were over. Electric down with the big motor trimmed up is at least an alternative to not being able to launch at all. And I wouldn't abuse the rules by power-loading. Nice thread guys !
ZEBRACON1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #14
Bobinstow90

Suspect that the electric only rule at Hodgson means electric only including loading. Would be a good idea to ask. They don't want gas/oil residue in the drinking water.

Power loading over time can really tear up the simple sand/gravel ramps that are not build to withstand the wash that goes with power loading.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
ProHawg

Hey Nip, Yeah I checked out the odnr site, but they don't go into the specifics about if a lake is electric only..... you have to remove the motor. Thanks all for the info. It is much appreciated. I think I will be giving Nimisilia a try soon!
ProHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
lakeslouie

Not gonna quote anybody here but you holier than thou folks down on using big motor to load rig, need to get a clue. Its a ramp. I fish Nimi alot and have talked to probably all the rangers about this and they are OK with it. Keep squawkin and next time you can wait 10 min for me to do it your way or 30 sec my way. Geesh!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #17
cedar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeslouie View Post
Not gonna quote anybody here but you holier than thou folks down on using big motor to load rig, need to get a clue. Its a ramp. I fish Nimi alot and have talked to probably all the rangers about this and they are OK with it. Keep squawkin and next time you can wait 10 min for me to do it your way or 30 sec my way. Geesh!
I heard that!
cedar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #18
ZEBRACON1

Or YOU could be waiting 10 minutes for me to load.... depends on who is at the ramp first. Some guys like to follow the rules man. If you're so "in" with the rangers, why don't you get them to post on here that we can all power-load if we want to. If you gotta wait an extra 10 mins for someone following the rules, use the extra time for a few more casts. Or even give them a hand... geesh.
ZEBRACON1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
rustyhooks

lakeslouie, i was NOT try to come off as '' HOLIER THAN THOU", ! if you took it that way ......oh well. i was simply trying to point out a ,hopefully small, group of people that for what ever reason think the law does not apply to them.
ELECTRIC ''ONLY'' MEANS ''ONLY''
i have lost enough fishing spots over the past 45 yrs to that '' group " that are immune to the rules' behavior , that i believe i have the right to state my opinion. sorry if you dont agree.
JF1 ''actually ,no ! it is not allowed. i hate to disagree but.......
i spoke to 2 rangers over the past few day's and they both emphatically said QUOTE '' no way''
1 of them actually looked at my plate as if t make a mental note of it
when i asked him about power loading his response was ... electric only, look it up !! no kidding , thats what he said
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #20
Cull'in

Here's a complete list of electric motor only lakes...

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraf...7/Default.aspx

Way too much gray area on power loading at places like Nimisila, Walborn and Deer Creek.
Don't expect any clarification though, even at the DOW office on Arlington St. the whole issue of prop in or out of the water is posted as being at the discretion of the ranger.

My advise, follow the posted rules unless told otherwise on that particular day!