Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports >

drowning at wb today

Old 04-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
LeoRn

Default drowning at wb today

There was a horrible accident at WB today.Boat went down. One man drowned. Another still missing. A teenage boy made it out ok. Thats all I know.
LeoRn is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 04-18-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
FISNFOOL

It is sad start to the season.

By Diane Smith

and Matt Fredmonsky

Record-Courier staff writers

An 18-year-old Akron man is dead after drowning at West Branch State Park Friday afternoon.

Portage County Sheriff David Doak said the incident could have quickly become a double drowning because the victim, who could not swim, tried to pull one of the girls he was swimming with under the water.

David Stoneking and two female teenagers were swimming at the state park’s beach, near the border of Charlestown and Paris townships, when Stoneking disappeared beneath the surface of the Michael J. Kirwan Reservoir at about 1:30 p.m.

John Wilder, manager of West Branch State Park, released a statement saying divers from the Portage County Water Rescue Team had located Stoneking’s body in 22 feet of water at about 5 p.m.

Witnesses said the teens were trying to swim from a point near the beach across a shallow cove to another point on the water’s edge. The area is not a designated swimming area and has a steep drop off — something that Stoneking might not have known when he went into the water, Doak said.

“He was pulling her under,” Doak said. “It was fortunate that she got away. As bad as it was, it could have been a double drowning.”

After escaping from Stoneking’s grasp, the female swam to shore and flagged down another car in the parking lot, whose occupants called for help.

Tom Decker, an investigator with the Portage County Coroner’s Office, said an autopsy on Stoneking would be performed by the Summit County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Decker said the water temperature was between 50 and 60 degrees. It was raining hard at the time, Doak said.

Doak said the girls probably were not aware that Stoneking could not swim.

Authorities searched by boat first before sending three divers into the water.

The man’s family had been notified and was en route to the park by 3:30 p.m.

Metro Life Flight landed at the park at about 2 p.m. and was on standby until the helicopter left at 3:30.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Eliminator

Isn't that article from last year? Yesterdays drowning involved a capsized boat and three gentlemen one a 14yr old who swam to safety.
The beach swimmers drowning posted above was from last year.
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
jcustunner24

Send a message via AIM to jcustunner24 Send a message via Yahoo to jcustunner24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
Isn't that article from last year? Yesterdays drowning involved a capsized boat and three gentlemen one a 14yr old who swam to safety.
The beach swimmers drowning posted above was from last year.
That story is actually nearly two years old. Stoneking drowned in May of 09.

Brief story here:
http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/5019323

It doesn't say anything about a drowning being declared, but it certainly doesn't look promising.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Sculpin67

I'm glad I didn't go out yesterday - i heard there were small craft advisory's on in-land lakes.
Sculpin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
CRAPPIE LOVER

Send a message via AIM to CRAPPIE LOVER

This morning's Record Courier said a boat went down at WB..A 14 year old boy swam to shore and had someone make a cell phone call..Two men were still in the boat..Then it said a young man found one of the others in the water..The County Coroner's office said there were no reports of any deaths related to the incident as of 10 p.m. Sunday night..Search for the missing man was called off at 10:30 p.m... The search was to resume this morning..As I read the newspaper article one man was rescued and one is still missing...Should have never been on the lake with the high winds out there..Hope for the best but it does not look good....Rangerjulie will be able to tell us more I am sure.....JIM....CL....
Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
exide9922

I hope everything turns out for the best but that does not sound good. people need to use a little common sense with the weather though. yesterday was no day to be out on the water. even if they had life jackets, that doesnt help with the cold water
exide9922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Erterbass
Ohio Angler

Unhappy

Here's an update from the Canton Repository. One man has drowned and another is missing; a teenage boy was able to swim to shore.

Saturday was NOT the day to be on the water. Lifejackets would have saved all three...

Uniontown area man dies in boating accident

Bob

Soft water fan
Erterbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
rucaradio

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x17984...ating-accident

I was on West Branch from about 1:30 - 5 PM yesterday. The waves in the main part of the lake were some of the worst I've seen @ Kirwan - about 3 - 3 1/2 feet. I remarked to my fishing buddy I was glad to have my 19.5' cabin cruiser and not a small fishing boat.

I didn't see anyone in distress or anything out of the ordinary... but because of the conditions I wasn't all over the lake either. I launched at the camp grounds, zipped across to by the swim beach, then headed back to Jay lake.
rucaradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
snake69
Equal opportunity fishing

That's gonna be ever so hard for that young boy to get over, knowing his father drowned and he couldn't help. I really feel for the youngster and the family!

"If everyone concentrated on the important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles!!"
snake69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
thelatrobe33
Ohio Bassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake69 View Post
That's gonna be ever so hard for that young boy to get over, knowing his father drowned and he couldn't help. I really feel for the youngster and the family!
X2

Something the young man will never forget. My thoughts and prayers to the families of all involved.

It was just over a year ago that I helped recover a man that was found at Mogadore. He had no life jacket. Please use your brain fishing this time of year guys! The water is still too cold out there!
thelatrobe33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
mpd5094

Here is an update from Fox News. God be with these gentlemen.

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-ki...,7878683.story

"Gone fishin', be back for deer season!"
mpd5094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
Tokugawa
Tackle addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatrobe33 View Post
X2

Something the young man will never forget. My thoughts and prayers to the families of all involved.

It was just over a year ago that I helped recover a man that was found at Mogadore. He had no life jacket. Please use your brain fishing this time of year guys! The water is still too cold out there!
That's why I stayed away from boating yesterday. Such a sad story.

Agreed! Even with a life jacket, hypothermia will set in pretty quickly.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
thelatrobe33
Ohio Bassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
That's why I stayed away from boating yesterday. Such a sad story.

Agreed! Even with a life jacket, hypothermia will set in pretty quickly.
I believe they say you have a 50/50 shot of lasting 15 minutes in water 50 degrees or below. I snagged a Mustang automatic PFD over the winter to wear when I'm alone and the water is cold.
thelatrobe33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
jaysin05

Thats terrible...my heart goes out to the kid and their family...
Old 04-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
DaleM
Original OGF Staff Member

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  
 Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  

Total Awards: 2

Here's another link:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

U.S. AIR FORCE VETERAN 1968-1972

Retired Fire Fighter

Remember: Don't make Old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Big Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Big Daddy

Just left the scene. They recovered the second guy today.

Very sad situation. Even though the outcome was tragic, the 13 year old who ran for help is still a hero. He did all he could to save the others.

Condolences to the families who are involved.

Please be safe on the water. I'd rather do a story on a family having a great day on the lake rather than what I had to see today. Very tragic.

Bass Pro Shops Pro Staff
Microspoons Pro Staff
ICE DANCE IN PROGRESS
Proud to be an ice fisherman

Take a kid fishing. Pass it on
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #18
JIG

Default Sad indeed!

Prayers go out to boy and family!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
rangerjulie

Default Such a tragedy

This was a TRAGEDY. Three guys in a 14 foot boat, 3 foot waves, no lifejackets - two lost their lives. PLEASE, check the conditions BEFORE you go out and WEAR your lifejacket.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
rangerjulie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAPPIE LOVER View Post
This morning's Record Courier said a boat went down at WB..A 14 year old boy swam to shore and had someone make a cell phone call..Two men were still in the boat..Then it said a young man found one of the others in the water..The County Coroner's office said there were no reports of any deaths related to the incident as of 10 p.m. Sunday night..Search for the missing man was called off at 10:30 p.m... The search was to resume this morning..As I read the newspaper article one man was rescued and one is still missing...Should have never been on the lake with the high winds out there..Hope for the best but it does not look good....Rangerjulie will be able to tell us more I am sure.....JIM....CL....
Guys, this is the kind of work I hate to do. I was on the boat with the sonar and ROV and we found the young man in 24' of water at about 1pm. So many things went wrong about this tragedy that should have never happened. First, the weather was not good for boating of any kind let alone in a 14' bass boat. The wind threw the waves up to 3 feet, and within minutes of launching their boat took on water. Second, they should have been wearing their lifejackets. The young man we recovered today would have had a chance if he had worn one. Then last, it was reported that they launched at around 6pm last night - too late to be going out on a boat during rough weather. I ask each and every one of you to please be safe, wear your lifejacket and check the conditions before going out. I would rather see you guys out there pulling in a big one than me having to pull you out of the water. Fish Safe.