Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > The Lounge >

HELP!! I caught a snapping turtle!!!

Old 08-02-2004, 10:34 PM   #1
AndroDoug
Duke of Bucketmouth

Default HELP!! I caught a snapping turtle!!!

Holy schmolly, guys. I went out to Congress Lake today (Hartville OH Stark Co), and at the end of the evening, we saw something turning around in an opening of some pads. We looked at it from afar and was wondering what on earth it could be?!!

It looked like a huge catfish turning over and over, or maybe it was a beaver??? We trolled right up next to the commotion to find 2 HUGE SNAPPING TURTLES FIGHTING! They were both GIGANTIC and biting each other. They paid us no mind. My buddy then yells "get the net!". So I, like a dummass, gave him my aluminum tubular frame, telescoping 12', rubber net. It snapped when we got one turtle half way out of the water.

I then (from seeing guys like tightliner and others in pics on this and former sites) grabbed the massive turtle by the tail. I have never held a snapping turtle before. It was heavier than my series 31 deep cell battery. I had no idea turtles were this heavy, or I wouldn't have used my net for it.

Well this is the deal, there is a list of Country Club members that want the turtles and it is going to be purchased. It buried the scale, which went up to 40 lbs. I need to know what an UNFILTERED live snapper is worth to people. I need to know cause I need to replace my expensive net off the top. There was talk of 80 bucks or more. Is this true???

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera on me today (re-occurring theme). We had special permission to fish Sunday, and my buddy caught a 6 pounder and we took pics. I brought the camera inside to show the pics and never returned it to my van .

Anyways, another good day on Congress, 10 bass, biggest 4 lbs and smallest 1 1/2. All real nice fish. We were using weightless worms or lizards, sliding them across the top of the pads, and letting them drop in the openings. Lots of big fish. Broke off twice on gigantic pike.

Please let me know guys. Thanks!

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 08-02-2004, 10:44 PM   #2
Phil Carver
Team Bass Xtreme

Send a message via AIM to Phil Carver

Purchased ? I believe you may want to read the 2004 fishing regulations before it is sold .
Old 08-02-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
DaleM
Original OGF Staff Member

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  
 Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  

Total Awards: 2

Good way to end up in court or jail androdoug. Totally against the law.

U.S. AIR FORCE VETERAN 1968-1972

Retired Fire Fighter

Remember: Don't make Old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:06 PM   #4
AndroDoug
Duke of Bucketmouth

This is a privately owned lake. The entire lake is owned by the club. I am not aware of any regulations with anything like that. This is the first turtle I have ever held. If selling a turtle from a private lake to a member who OWNS part of that lake is illegal, than there is something wrong with the law. I don't work there, my buddy does, and the turtle now resides in a tub at the club (ima poet and I didn't know it!). There is a LIST of MEMBERS that want to buy these turtles as they are catched.

This is the same lake that put "open season" on pike. They require you to keeep ALL pike under 30 inches, regardless of how many you catch. in the early spring, we would catch 10 or more per day. If you didn't want to clean them, they provided a dumpster to throw them in. They have a big problem with them and they want them out.

IF THEY CAN GO ABOVE THE RESTRICTIONS OF THE STATE ON LIMITS ON THEIR LAKE, then I think a snapping turtle is OK too.

And if it is illegal. then why do restaurants sell dishes with them??

I will stay out of jail, thank you. No crime committed here.

And besides, I am not the one selling it. A millionaire member is picking it up first thing in the morning.

Sorry, i was not aware of any regs. thanks for letting me know. I never keep anything I catch, ever, as I always practice C&R. This is a special cicumstance that was spurred on by my friend who works at the club and knew there was a waiting list for them.

Case closed. How much is it worth though?

Last edited by AndroDoug; 08-02-2004 at 11:14 PM.
AndroDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:16 PM   #5
MLAROSA
Loving Life

If theyhave a turtle problem and want people to rid them of them let me know. I will be more then willing to help out. 2 years ago we took 48 turtle. We eat them all, or give them to family members. Probably could work something out, where a trade is granted. I'll remove the turtles for fishing privledges if they like.

Pm me and we can trade contact info, if they are interested.

John Cooper ruined my childhood.
MLAROSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:42 PM   #6
TIGHTLINER

Send a message via AIM to TIGHTLINER

AndroDoug way to go on the Snapping Turtle! Try to get a picture of that beast before you get rid of it. For years people have been selling snapping turtles. There is no closed season on them and no limits on them and I know first hand that local restaurants will purchase them. I could not find it in words that it is legal to sell snapping turtles but I am almost 100% positive that in ohio it is LEGAL to sell Snapping Turtles and Softshell Turtles. Here is a few links that I was able to find on the ODNR site.
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/PDF/pub03.pdf
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/reso...s/snapturt.htm
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/fish...tle/turtle.htm
http://www.ohiodnr.com/news/feb00/reptiles.html
http://www.ohiodnr.com/publications/...es/turtles.htm
And just so everybody is straight, there is no limit on Northern Pike in ohio as well.
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/Fish...gs/default.htm
TIGHTLINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:46 PM   #7
catking
Banned

Default Snappers-

I'd also like to see a pic of this giant. The biggest I've ever seen first hand was a giant 48 pounder CATKING
catking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:54 PM   #8
Richs63Corvair

Hell with the pic ,,,,,, I want to see it in some hot oil , some breading , and a large order of fries..............LOL............Rich
Richs63Corvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:18 AM   #9
TIGHTLINER

Send a message via AIM to TIGHTLINER
Default It's Legal To Sell Snapping Turtles In Ohio!

Hey Guys, I did some searching and found the laws under the Ohio Administrative Code. It's an interesting read there is tons of rules and regulations in there that apply to fishing that are not listed in the ODNR handout that is provided to us when we buy our fishing license. So if you get bored give the entire code and overview. (http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com Enter 1501:31 Division of Wildlife into the search query) As far as the sale of snapping turtles goes it is legal. Refer to the Section (G) in this post. Take Care, Justin

1501:31-13-05 Turtle and frog regulations.

(A) Throughout the state, except at Pymatuning lake, it shall be unlawful for any person to take bullfrogs or greenfrogs from May first to six p.m. on June fifteenth each year. Season opens six p.m. on June fifteenth each year.
(B) Throughout the state, it shall be unlawful for any person to take, possess or transport, bullfrogs or greenfrogs which have been taken in Ohio from May first to six p.m. on June fifteenth each year.
(C) It shall be unlawful for any person to take bullfrogs or greenfrogs by shooting, except with a longbow and arrow.
(D) It shall be unlawful for any person to take more than ten bullfrogs or greenfrogs in any one day, or have in possession more than ten bullfrogs or greenfrogs taken from Ohio. This does not include those purchased out of state that are accompanied with a bill of lading at any time except as provided for Pymatuning reservoir, or as provided in rule 1501:31-25-04 of the Administrative Code.
(E) It shall be unlawful for any person to buy or sell bullfrogs or greenfrogs taken from Ohio. However, bullfrogs or greenfrogs that have been shipped from outside Ohio that are accompanied by a bill of lading may be bought and sold, persons possessing a permit issued under authority of section 1533.71 of the Revised Code may sell bullfrogs or greenfrogs taken from ponds or lakes they own or lease as a wholly enclosed preserve.
(F) Persons selling bullfrogs or greenfrogs under authority of this section shall record each sale, listing date of the sale, number sold and the name and address of the person to whom they were sold. These records shall be available for inspection by any division of wildlife employee during reasonable daytime hours.
(G) Legally acquired snapping and softshell turtles may be bought for consumption as food. All persons raising and/or selling snapping and softshell turtles for purposes other than consumption as food must obtain a permit as required under section 1533.71 of the Revised Code.
(1) Persons buying, selling, bartering, trading or giving away snapping or softshell turtles for food consumption must keep accurate records and retain them for five years, which include:
(a) The taxa and number of snapping and softshell turtles sold, purchased, traded, bartered or given away.
(b) The complete name and address of the person from whom or to whom the snapping or softshell turtle where purchased, sold, bartered or given.
(H) It shall be unlawful for any person to take or attempt to take snapping and softshell turtles by shooting, except with longbow and arrow.
(I) It shall be unlawful for any person to take or attempt to take snapping and softshell turtles with a steel or spring trap.
(J) It shall be unlawful for any person to set, use or maintain a turtle trap having any mesh measuring less than four inches on a side; however, traps may be constructed with square mesh less than four inches when such traps are provided with an escape ring of at least six inches in diameter leading out of the trap and such escape ring is held open at all times to permit the escape of fish.
(K) It shall be unlawful for any person to take or attempt to take turtles by means of a trap having wings or leads.
(L) All reference to bullfrogs, greenfrogs, snapping and softshell turtles in this section shall be defined as;
Bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana)
Greenfrog (Rana clamitans)
Snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina serpentina)
Spiny softshell turtle (Apalone spinifera spinifera)
Smooth softshell turtle (Apalone mutica mutica)
(M) All definitions set forth in rule 1501:31-1-02 of the Administrative Code shall apply to this rule.

HISTORY: Eff 2-27-75; 6-1-79; 6-1-84; 4-17-89; 3-1-00; 2-1-02; 1-1-04
Rule promulgated under: RC 119.03
Rule authorized by: RC 1531.08
Rule amplifies: RC 1531.08
RC 119.032 Review Date: 10-17-02; 10-17-07

Credit: Anderson's Online Documentation
http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com
TIGHTLINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:26 AM   #10
Phil Carver
Team Bass Xtreme

Send a message via AIM to Phil Carver

Good job Tightliner ! I am glad to see some - one figured it out .
Old 08-03-2004, 12:34 AM   #11
catking
Banned

Default Snappers-

Nice work TIGHTLINER !!! Now pass the gravy............ .DA KING !!!
Old 08-03-2004, 01:10 AM   #12
AndroDoug
Duke of Bucketmouth

Imagine the luck!!! I just HAPPENED to buy a "section 1533.71 revised code" permit two days ago !!!!!

Good thing I did! Or it would be illegal!

Thanks Tightliner! Great research.

Last edited by AndroDoug; 08-03-2004 at 01:16 AM.
AndroDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:36 AM   #13
Fishman
Catch bait???

Send a message via AIM to Fishman

lol man all you haters got burned
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:13 AM   #14
Bassnpro1
OSU outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to Bassnpro1

hey Androdoug, you don't need that permit if the people buying it are buying it for consuption. You only need that permit if they are buying it for reasons other than for consumption.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:48 PM   #15
bkr43050

Default Good find Tightliner

I was about to look up that rule because I knew that it was that way several years back. I used to set lines for turtle and sold to a restaurant locally. It make for some nice college spending money. It seems to me that I was getting liek $8.00 a pound, and that was cleaned (out of shell). I would suspect that if you got 3 bucks a pound live weight you would make out pretty well. Keep in mind that they are not the easiest to clean if you are not experienced at it.

Those sound like a couple of beauties at 20+ pounds. Congratulations on the catch.

Oh, by the way, I remember checking into the permit thing and found out back then you did not need it either as stated by Bassnpro.

Last edited by bkr43050; 08-03-2004 at 12:51 PM.
bkr43050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:23 PM   #16
steelmagoo
Enjigneer

Look for turtle meat on the internet. I think I saw snapper for $19.75 per pound boned and $11.75 per pound bone-in from some place in Louisiana.

See here:http://www.crawfish.cc/turtle_meat.htm
Old 08-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #17
bkr43050

Wow! That may make me get back into the business with those prices.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #18
AndroDoug
Duke of Bucketmouth

Going, going, gone! My friend called me from the golf course today and said the official weight was 42 pounds. The guy gave him 80 bucks for the turtle and was very happy to get it. My friend said they put it in a tub with a latch on lid, and the guy put it in the back seat of his Cadillac Escalade (no kidding!). I guess this guy cleans a few turtles each year and his wife puts it into recipes. They really like it as a delicassy. I guess it goes to show you that even rich guys can get their hands dirty every now and then!!

We have had opportunities to grab turtles before, but have always been to chicken! Now knowing I can make a few bucks, every turtle that doesn't run from me is a dead duck!

I will now go net shopping to replace my busted up rubber one!

PS-My friend DID get a couple pics with his camera phone. I will investigate the possibility of DL them onto the computer.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:48 PM   #19
catking
Banned

Default 42 pounder-

That is one big turtle !!!There is a guy up the road from where I live that we call "Turtle Man" cwcarper , when a younger lad, used to supply him with quite a few each year that he caught while cattin at his grannys (my moms) place.........it would be great to see a pic, thanks for trying CATKING
Old 08-04-2004, 08:00 AM   #20
bkr43050

Wow! That is one huge snapping turtle! When I read the post originally I thought you meant that you retrieved both turtles and the combined weight was 40+. Even that is a very big turtle. In all of my years I have never seen one go over 30#, let alone 40#. I too am anxious to see pictures.