Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

New London

Old 01-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
quicktafix1

Default New London

I stopped at New London yesterday and saw quite a few people fishing. However no one came in while I was there to ask what they were fishing for and what (if anything ) they were catching. I have read there are walleyes in there. Does anyone here fish New London reservoir? What do you catch? Are there walleyes and how big? (average)
quicktafix1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Oldsman67

you can catch everything except northerns and muskies.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
icehuntR

Default look it up

try the ODNR website .has some info about NLR.
icehuntR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Sluggo

I fish it pretty regular during open water times of the year. I do catch walleye there but the size is small, averaging about 13". I catch most of my walleye there in the spring and fall. At those times I would rate the walleye bite as Good....definitely not Excellent. Actually, this past year was not all that great as previous years. Also, I catch smallmouth bass at New London from spring to fall and I would rate them as Very Good with an average size of about 12". I have caught a couple 3lb.+ smallies there but I really don't target them all that much. What New London has a ton of are rockbass! These I would rate as Excellent and definitely what I have caught the most of there and throughout the year. Their sizes are very large as well (as far as rockbass go). All in all, I love the quietness of the lake and clarity of the water. I also release all of the bass I catch and strongly suggest doing so. I, personally, do not keep the smallmouth as I believe they are a vulnerable fishery and can be damaged quickly with harvesting in such a small reservoir. Nevertheless, the law permits legal harvesting of them so the choice is yours and I would not fault you either way. The walleye there are stocked and non-reproducing, i.e. put and take. So, I do keep walleye if they are 15" or over as well as rockbass on occasion. I only wish they would instill a 15" or greater size limit on the walleye there as I believe it would substantially increase the average size of the walleye in the lake. But, then again, I am not a fisheries biologist so my opinion is just that....a non-scientific based opinion. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Sluggo; 01-05-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
quicktafix1

Thanks guys!! I too believe all bass no matter which kind should be returned in all lakes. There is no way they compare to Perch or Walleyes. Sluggo nailed it. The beauty and solitude of ice fishing is really what it is all about. (unless you take the kids/grand kids who really do need to catch something) Do rock bass taste good? I have caught them before but never eaten any. It may be a good idea to keep some.
quicktafix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Perchy101
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I'm coming up on Saturday to fish.... who is gonna be out there?
Perchy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
weight forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktafix1 View Post
Thanks guys!! I too believe all bass no matter which kind should be returned in all lakes. There is no way they compare to Perch or Walleyes. Sluggo nailed it. The beauty and solitude of ice fishing is really what it is all about. (unless you take the kids/grand kids who really do need to catch something) Do rock bass taste good? I have caught them before but never eaten any. It may be a good idea to keep some.
I've kept rock bass a couple times with a basket of crappie & gills. The are pretty good actually. Not any different than the other panfish.
weight forward is offline   Reply With Quote