Notices

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > Trucks, Cars, Bikes and Trailers >

How to turn off the "service engine soon" light on F150?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
bad luck

Default How to turn off the "service engine soon" light on F150?

Yes, I know the obvious...take it to a dealer/auto repair shop and drop the coin....

but...

this light has been on for about the last 22 months or so, truck is running great........

Is there a series of "things I can do" buttons to push, etc...like what I did to get the seat belt sensors to stay off?

echeck is coming and spending more money for something that is running fine is an option I would like to avoid...

thanks
bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
chris311

in your service manual it says how to get it off in the section after what to do after a oil change and if you dont have the service manual go on google it will tell you
chris311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Snakecharmer

i've had good luck with AutoZone resetting the codes for me. sometimes all you need is a new gas cap but the last time I had to take it back to the dealer 3 times before they got it fixed right.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
fisherman5567
Fishin Everyday

go to advance or autozone and borrow their code scanner/reader tool. you can clear codes with it as well as read them.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
powerstrokin73

If the light is on there is a problem. If the problem was fixed it would shut off after the key was turned on a certain amount of times or you had it cleared. At this point if you cleared it would just come back on probably by the time you get home.

Best thing to do would be go to Autozone/Advanced get the code number and google it to find what the problem is, and fix it or get it fixed. With the light being on for as long as it has been clearing it wont last long. You need to fix the problem, it could be as easy as the fuel cap, vacuum line, or as bad as a cat. converter or O2 sensor.

thats my opinion...
If your in the Akron area I can help you find out what the problem is tell you how you can fix it, possibly fix it my self for ya cheap (I just like working on stuff) and if I can't do it I have the number to a guy that is VERY resonably priced

Evin
powerstrokin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
M.Magis

It seems you're assuming it's on for no reason. It doesn't cost anything to get it checked. Gas cap would be a good guess.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
acklac7
S.S.

Inland Rivers & Streams  

Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad luck View Post
Yes, I know the obvious...take it to a dealer/auto repair shop and drop the coin....

but...

this light has been on for about the last 22 months or so, truck is running great........

Is there a series of "things I can do" buttons to push, etc...like what I did to get the seat belt sensors to stay off?

echeck is coming and spending more money for something that is running fine is an option I would like to avoid...

thanks
taking out the cluster and removing the bulb is the only way to get rid of it (without getting rid of the problem thats causing it in the first place). As others mentioned you can often get it cleared with a Scan-tool, but chances are the code will set again and the light will come back on within a few days.

Ohio: The Iroquoian word for "Beautiful River"

True Ohio Sportsmen Should Release Stream/River Smallmouth

A.J.
acklac7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
powerstrokin73

Quote:
Originally Posted by acklac7 View Post
taking out the cluster and removing the bulb is the only way to get rid of it (without getting rid of the problem thats causing it in the first place). As others mentioned you can often get it cleared with a scan-tool, but chances are the code will set again and the light will come back on within a few days.
but if you go to a e-check place that plugs into your truck via the obd2 port they will detect the check engine alert and fail you...
powerstrokin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
bad luck

Thanks for the ideas....going to try a few things this afternoon, as well as owners manual. Seeing how I just got my "happy birthday" card/license plate bill from the state, I still have till early Feb
bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Hooch
Fare Thee Well!

Default E Check

E Check... Sounds like a pain in the butt. I've never had to do it. I've lived in Centerville and Columbus and fortunately never had to do this. How many cities have this E Check?
Hooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
hardwaterfan
hwf

its just around the cleveland area....apparently our vehicles pollute more than everyone else's in the state.
hardwaterfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
lakota

If you disconnect the negative cable on the battery for 10 minutes or so it will clear the codes from the computer. I had a 2000 Ford Ranger I bought new that had 200,000 miles on it when I recently got rid of it. The check engine light stayed on for 7 of the 10 years I owned it. Got sick of throwing money at it to never have it stay off so I gave up on it. Before I would have it e-checked I would let it sit without the battery connected then take it and have it e-checked and always passed. The light would always stay off long enough to have it e-checked.

Someone told me that Fords are well known for having issues where the check engine light would come on for no reason and I have to agree as both Rangers I have owned had this problem.

Last edited by lakota; 12-14-2010 at 08:28 PM.
lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
fishinjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
E Check... Sounds like a pain in the butt. I've never had to do it. I've lived in Centerville and Columbus and fortunately never had to do this. How many cities have this E Check?
cincinnati had the E-check until about 6 years ago. it cost $19.99 (and, yes, you got the penny back). I don't know why they cancelled it but I'm glad they did. :-)
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
Wow
Will Yak For Food

Exclamation E-check it anyway!

Now I know why you called yourself " bad luck". I had exactly the same problem last month. I made an appointment with a mechanic to fix it. I went to the licence bureau the day B4 my birthday to register my other car. the clerk told me to E-check it anyway. He said it would help to have the form from E-check dated B4 my registration expired. At the E-check station, I told them the "SES" light was on. They said they'd try the exhaust test instead of plugging into the CPU... Well! It passed, got my reg., cancelled the mechanic and am driving legally bathed in the glorious glow of my service engine soon light........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ...............Name:  Monkey edit.gif
Views: 5627
Size:  11.0 KB
Wow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
ress

Best fix for that would be a piece of black electrical tape cut to the size of the light.
ress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
ohiojmj

I'll side with the minority; I vote for getting it fixed or at least checked. While it may be a bad sensor, how do you know that you are not damaging something long term, although you may have proven it over many months of neglect? You could be poluting (if you care). I prefer to check engine when check engine light goes on because it is reasonable to assume that the design engineers had a good reason to warn you of trouble. i also prefer not to get stranded or in a wreck.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
bkr43050

I have a Ford Freestyle that somewhat regularly decides to turn the Service engine light. The error that it is giving me is a "Fuel Data Check Error". I have had this checked at a garage and it was determined that the cause is a flex fuel sensor. This also causes my fuel gauge to drop to empty at the same time which is a pain. I have been told that this affects nothing unless I am truly going to run any flex fuels which I have no intention of doing. So I have learned to live with the light coming and going because I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars just to extinguish a light. In my case the light goes off on its own and the gauge goes back to normal operation eventually as well. It is just an inconvenience that I have chose to live with. I occasionally have gone to the automotive stores to borrow their diagnostics unit to verify that the error is indeed still the same and then proceed to turn it off. I don't want to be making a trip to them weekly so I have not made a habit of checking and clearing it. So based on my case I can certainly relate to the thought of not wanting to fix something that may not really be broken.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
BFG

Check Engine light has been on in my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 for the last 4 years.

I've put 5 gas caps on it and eventually it comes back on again. Dodge dealer charges me $85.00 to hook it up to their code reader, then another $20.00 for a gas cap.

As a result...I too drive bathed in the glory of the Check Engine light...over 171,000 miles now. That truck owes me nothing.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
lordofthepunks

easy fix- drive truck to nearly any used car dealer or chevy dealer. trade truck in for a silverado or sierra. the check engine light will be gone.
lordofthepunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #20
Shortdrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG View Post
Check Engine light has been on in my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 for the last 4 years.

I've put 5 gas caps on it and eventually it comes back on again. Dodge dealer charges me $85.00 to hook it up to their code reader, then another $20.00 for a gas cap.

As a result...I too drive bathed in the glory of the Check Engine light...over 171,000 miles now. That truck owes me nothing.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

Should have bought a F-150