Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Fishing Reports - Out of State >

Dale Hollow Info

Old 12-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
DuV

Talking Dale Hollow Info

Planning a trip to Dale Hollow for next May. We are looking to stay at East Port Marina which is quite aways from the main lake. Its at the junction of the East and West branches of the Obey River. We are hope to fish for Walleye, Smallmouth and Crappie. My thought is that it is good to be up in the river system and fishing shallow water that time of year. Any one have any experience in this area of Dale Hollow care to share info?
Thanks, DuV
DuV is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
Fletch
FishOn

Send a message via AIM to Fletch

I've heard conflicting information on Dale for May.
I met a guy on the lake one day and he said they did pretty well on grubs and short plastic swim baits in May. Others have said that it is so clear at that time of year the fishing can be tough.
You'll probably get some more answers soon. There are some great folks on this board that are willing to help.
Good luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
ShakeDown
OGF Staff

Duv...I've stayed at East Port before, and wouldn't recommend it in may. Water is too warm, days can get REAL hot and youll do your best after dark.
ShakeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
DuV

Thanks Fletch and Shakedown. I probably will look to go north again this year since I can't go any sooner. Thanks again, DuV
Old 12-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
THE CASTING KID
"KATIE" (JUNIOR MEMBER)

Send a message via Yahoo to THE CASTING KID
Default Dale Hollow Lake- East Port Fishing

As a repeat customer to EastPort Marina for at least the past ten years, I'm glad to hear your planning a trip. You'll have a great time. EastPort Marina is my home away from home. We have been down several different times per year and sometimes go twice a year. I can't say enough good about the resort and the lake itself. The people here are extremely friendly, the restaurant food is amazing, and the houseboats and cabins are really nice. The cabin we stay in all the time, cabin 7, even has my picture on top of the tv. You said you were going down to fish for walleye, crappie, and bass. Yes it is true that the other end of the lake is really good for smallmouth bass but the east and west forks are fantastic for crappie and walleye. You deffinately picked the right time of year to go. The fishing should be prime! We have been down in late march, april, june, july, and august, and we always are very sucessful. June was especially good for us. If we can catch lots of bass in july you'll do even better in May. The east fork is the spot for walleye and I recommend fishing the willows on the shallow side of the river or even in places such as mill creek with minnows for crappie. This end of the lake is really good for nice largemouth but not as good for small mouth. If you want smallmouth, fish toward the dam. For largemouth, fish the deep sides of the river or in coves such as mill, franklin, big hollow or even the east fork. Fish the bluffs. Top water bates work great in the early morning when the fog is just lifting and the shad begin to break. Its really fun since the water is so clear you can see the fish attack. This lake is my favorite lake. I've gone down here every year since I was born and even took my first steps in the cabin. If you have any more questions just ask. I'm pretty sure my dad or I will know the answers. My dads gone down for over thirty years. Tell eastport you talked to the casting kid (Katie from Canton, OH). Richard will know who you mean. If you want to see lots of pictures, go on to EastPorts Facebook page or website. There's tons of great pictures, and mine are on there to.

-P.S.- If you try EastPort once, you'll be back. EastPort, where everyone knows your name.

*haha this was not a payed message! Just written from someone who plans to move there after college. If you ever fish Dale Hollow, no matter what end of the lake... you'll be back!

****CATCH, PHOTO, RELEASE****

Last edited by THE CASTING KID; 12-12-2010 at 03:59 PM.
THE CASTING KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
ShakeDown
OGF Staff

Well there you have it...two completely different opinions of East Port. Catalogue me under someone who's been and hasn't returned Don't get me wrong, we did catch fish when there but I think the other end of the lake has more versatility, and we've had crazy good times down between Holly/Dam on the smallies, eyes, and trout.

Either way, you can't go wrong on the Holla
ShakeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
DuV

Talking Thanks!

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts about Dale Hollow. I think most times differences in opinions can go back to differences in preferred styles and tactics. Neither are right or wrong, just different! Thanks to all who responded, cause I can use all the help I can get! LOL See Ya, DuV