any ginseng hunters

Old 09-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
markfish
bassing around

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  

Total Awards: 1

Send a message via Skype™ to markfish
Bow any ginseng hunters

iv never hunted sing before I've done some checking on the net got some sort of idea of what it looks like but not for sure I'm seeing it goes for around 400.00 a lb, well just thought i see if anyone could point me in the right direction,on what to look for and how id it and dig it wright.thanks for your help
markfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Rednek
"The Widow's Son"

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/commu...hlight=ginseng

www.rednekoutfitters.com
Rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
RiverDoc

Markfish: Here is a distribution map for ginseng. The problem with this map is that it gives a false sense of the distribution. Ginseng typically grows near edges or openings of undisturbed, mature forests. It is hard to find undisturbed forests in most of Ohio, though these are dispersed throughout the state. It is more common in West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennesseee, and North Carolina. In many states it is considered a threatened species.

Like many members of its family, this species has a central stalk of flowers, then fruits arising near the center of the plant. The fruits are not cylindrical or spherical, but somewhat flattened like a bean.

http://www.virtualinsectary.com/plants/plant_29.htm (photos)

http://plants.usda.gov/java/county?s...39&symbol=PAQU (distribution)

http://www.wildgrown.com/laws.htm (laws)

RiverDoc
RiverDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
markfish
bassing around

Default thanks

well i dident see anything yesterday, but nice to be in the woods just walking and getting some nuts for the years cookies so not all lost,so thinks guys for your help,
Old 09-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
multi species angler

Default Ginseng

The best advice that I can give someone wanting to find ginseng is to hunt in a mature woods containing a lot of big beech trees. It normally grows best on the north, east or northeast facing slopes. I have found ginseng growing in places where the conditions were not conducive to ginseng growth yet there it was. But to increase your chances of finding it hunt in the afore mentioned places. The best thing for a person to do that wants to learn how and where to look for seng is to have an experienced hunter to take you along. This is how I learned and how I taught many others.Good Luck.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
BigV
BigV

Keep this in mind when hunting for Ginseng in Ohio.

Overview of Ohio's Ginseng Laws
The Ohio Administrative Code, the set of laws that govern the state, lists all of the laws regarding the harvesting, selling, and buying of ginseng. Below are some of the basic rules. Anyone interested in ginseng trade should contact their local Wildlife District Office or their county Wildlife Officer, or call 1-800- WILDLIFE for more information.

1. Ginseng harvest season is from September 1st to December 31st annually.

2. The ginseng plant must have at least 3 prongs (stems) to be harvested.

3. A ginseng collector/digger must have landowner permission to hunt and harvest on private and public lands.

4. Collectors/diggers must keep accurate harvest records by county and collection date.

5. Collectors/diggers must immediately plant the seeds from collected plants at the place where the plants were collected.

6. Dealers and buyers shall obtain certification from a state inspector of the Division of Wildlife that the ginseng was legally collected before it can be exported from Ohio.

7. Your certification document must state the exact, correct weight of the ginseng root being certified.

8. The fee for ginseng certification is $3 per pound.

9. Dealers may not buy dry, uncertified ginseng between April 1st and September 15th.

10. You cannot buy or sell wild green ginseng that was collected between April 1st and August 31st.

11. Dealers must get a state dealerís registration permit that expires August 31st annually.

12. When you buy ginseng root, make sure you obtain: the sellerís name and address, the dealerís state registration permit number if applicable and ginseng certification number, the weight of ginseng root collected by county, and the date of the transaction.

13. You must provide all of the above information when selling ginseng root.

14. Dealers and buyers must display educational materials provided by the Division of Wildlife.

15. Dealers and buyers shall show proof of certification to any out-of-state purchaser.

16. You must keep accurate records on all ginseng sold and purchased. These records are open to inspection by authorized Division of Wildlife employees.

17. Dealers and buyers must submit for weighing all uncertified ginseng on hand as of March 31 to the Division of Wildlife and they will receive a receipt for it.

18. A person may only possess ginseng from a state that has a ginseng management program that has been approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

19. You cannot export uncertified ginseng out of Ohio.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
streamstalker
not waving...drowning

Good looking out, BigV.

With the economy the way it is, you have to wonder how wildlife is going to suffer from poaching by people who are just trying to get by.

Times are tough.

Last edited by streamstalker; 09-19-2010 at 12:51 PM.
streamstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
Smead

Had a friend who looked into it.

Besides all the regulations, the $400 was for a dried oz. of ginseng.

He was considering attempting to grow it. Given that it takes years to mature, it's somewhat similair to growing christmas trees.

He discovered that you could make more money by growing a couple of acres of....garlic.
Smead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #9
markfish
bassing around

Default thanks

well i dont get out much and thought i give it a try,i got thr laws part just need to find 1 to know im on the right track,not looking to get rich just the hunt, and being in the quiet wood does a man good,iv look at two woods so far and nothing,well mabey the next time or im looking at it and dont know it,but thanks again for all your help/