Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Lake Erie Fishing Reports >

Fish cleaning around Ashtabula

Lake Erie Weather | Lake Erie Wave Forcasts & Temps| Free Maps & Charts| Lake Erie Lake Cams| Charter Captains| Marinas & Dealers| Lodging

this forum is sponsored by: South Shore Marine

Old 08-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Smallmouth Crazy

Default Fish cleaning around Ashtabula

Headed up this weekend and was wondering if anybody can point me towards a good cleaners?? Thanks
Smallmouth Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Walleye Wacker

Dont go to the Geneva cleaners by the marina.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Papascott

IMHO drive to conneaut and have snug harbor clean them.
Papascott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Dfrenzy

River marine in Ashtabula has always done a nice job for me in the past but now I am docked in Geneva. I have not had any complaints on the cleaners in Geneva but I have not personally had any fish cleaned there myself. If there is a problem wit the Geneva cleaners please pm me with any concerns as I would like to hear.
Dfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Smallmouth Crazy

Thanks guys for the help...if there is anybody else I should try please let me know.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #6
Iraqvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrenzy View Post
River marine in Ashtabula has always done a nice job for me in the past but now I am docked in Geneva. I have not had any complaints on the cleaners in Geneva but I have not personally had any fish cleaned there myself. If there is a problem wit the Geneva cleaners please pm me with any concerns as I would like to hear.
River marine is good..I went out on a couple charter trips this summer and they cleaned them up nice..They are right next to the lift bridge..Not a single bone in the walleyes or perch..It was $2 for an eye and 50 cents per pearch..
Iraqvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
Smallmouth Crazy

Thanks again sounds like I will go with them.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
walfisher

Default Motel in Ashtabula

A few years ago, my wife and I had a very bad experience with trying to get walleyes cleaned at River Marine. (Could be very different today as I have never returned there to find out.) In the meantime, I have searched and have found one motel in Ashtabula that allows guests to clean their catch and no extra fees are charged. (Too, I think the owner will actually clean your catch for you for a modest fee.)

I am new to this wonderful message board and hope that it is OK to say that the motel is called Cedars Motel and it is located in town on Highway 20. We were there just two weeks ago and cleaned our own catch. (Other than having been a guest there a few times over the past 2-3 years, I probably should say that I have absolutely no connection to the business. I have learned, though, that the owner, too, enjoys walleye fishing trips.)

Hope you have a great trip to Ashtabula. We drive some 300 miles (each way) to get there a couple/three times each summer to try our luck with walleye fishing. We "love" that part of the country.
walfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Smallmouth Crazy

Thanks for the info and welcome to the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walfisher View Post
A few years ago, my wife and I had a very bad experience with trying to get walleyes cleaned at River Marine. (Could be very different today as I have never returned there to find out.) In the meantime, I have searched and have found one motel in Ashtabula that allows guests to clean their catch and no extra fees are charged. (Too, I think the owner will actually clean your catch for you for a modest fee.)

I am new to this wonderful message board and hope that it is OK to say that the motel is called Cedars Motel and it is located in town on Highway 20. We were there just two weeks ago and cleaned our own catch. (Other than having been a guest there a few times over the past 2-3 years, I probably should say that I have absolutely no connection to the business. I have learned, though, that the owner, too, enjoys walleye fishing trips.)

Hope you have a great trip to Ashtabula. We drive some 300 miles (each way) to get there a couple/three times each summer to try our luck with walleye fishing. We "love" that part of the country.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
2CatchEyes
"Miss Kate"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrenzy View Post
We fished geneva several times in early july last year. We were on a friends boat and he took the fish to be cleaned at Geneva Cleaners. He gave my son and I a bag to take home. When I got the fish home I always remove all the red meat and silver off of the fish. Those fillets were the most hacked up fillets I ever saw. These were 5 to 8 pound fish and the fillets looked paper thin. I called the supervisor of the cleaners the next monday. He was very nice and seemed concerned, I told him the time and date so he could look at records to see who was working. I always clean my own fish at our campground but this particular time was not a good experience. It may be better now.

Miss Kate Fishing Team
2CatchEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
n8arw

Thumbs up Al the Boner

Go see Al the Boner just inside the gate to the left at Jack's Marine in Ashtabula. To get to Jack's, just follow the road going past the entrance to ARU (sign at top of hill.) Al charges $1.50 for 'eyes which includes the cheeks and removing the zipper. Plus, he cleans your cooler!

Heck, I'd be willing to pay $1.50 a carcass for disposal, so I look at it as getting the fish cleaned for free.

Al's been cleaning fish for me for close to 15 years and I have never had a bone. He also does steelhead and perch. Al won't set any speed records as he's a one man show, but he does a first class job!

I had fish cleaned at Geneva last weekend and I'll just say I wouldn't go back and leave it at that!

Good Fishing!
n8arw is offline   Reply With Quote