Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > Home & Garden >

Question about canning green beans

Old 07-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
archer077

Default Question about canning green beans

Wife canned a bunch of green beans and the ends turned to a rusty brown color. Has anyone heard of this happening, and if they they should be eaten?
The process used was taking ends off by hand , snapping by hand , rinsing ,putting in jars with a little canning salt with hot water, then pressure canning @11lbs for 25 mins, after pressure dropped removed lid and noticed the discoloration

thanks in advance
archer077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 07-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Snakecharmer

My mom always froze the corn and beans. Canned the pears, peaches and tomato juice. So I'm not much help to ya.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
bajuski

Default beans

I'm sure they are ok to eat, just won't look as appealing on the plate. Were they nice and crispy when you snapped them? Did they sit out not refrigerated for a while?
Like Snakecharmer said, freezing is the way to go with beans if you have the room in your freezer. It's easier and they hold their texture and color better! The wife blanches them for 3 minutes, dips them in ice water, dries them with a paper towel and packs them in freezer bags. They need an additional 7 minutes of boiling when served though!
bajuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
beatsworkin

Could have been the freshness of the beans, impurities in the water, growing conditions, cooking time too long....etc...sometimes mom would have some that turned a greenish brown and they tasted fine. If they came out of the canner looking that way, it is not spoilage.

I cannot stand frozen green beans, one of the few veggies that I will not eat unless cooked to near oblivion.
beatsworkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
bkr43050

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajuski View Post
I'm sure they are ok to eat, just won't look as appealing on the plate. Were they nice and crispy when you snapped them? Did they sit out not refrigerated for a while?
Like Snakecharmer said, freezing is the way to go with beans if you have the room in your freezer. It's easier and they hold their texture and color better! The wife blanches them for 3 minutes, dips them in ice water, dries them with a paper towel and packs them in freezer bags. They need an additional 7 minutes of boiling when served though!
Ditto on that!

I do a lot of canning but beans is one item that I will freeze over canning for the reasons mentioned above. And the great thing is that it is very easy.