Old 03-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
icebucketjohn

Default Ohio Vegetable Planting Guide/Zones 5 & 6

Zone 5: http://www.veggieharvest.com/Vegetab...lendar/zone-5/

Zone 6: http://www.veggieharvest.com/Vegetab...ting-calendar/

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
bkr43050

This is a great start for the forum. And with the timing I believe it deserves to be stickied.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
jacson
Banned

Planting times depend almost entirely on your area. In the North, you plant in the spring time, because the snow's melted, and the rain won't be heavy enough to crush the plants. In the Southwest, you plant in the fall, because the summer heat won't kill them, and some rain will finally start watering them.
jacson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
FarmFriend

thanks for this information. I found it useful.
FarmFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
viper1

Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmFriend View Post
thanks for this information. I found it useful.
Thats the arbor day one. Then you have the USDA one and there is another. I live in the 44460 area code and 0ne puts me in 6 , one in 5 and the other in 6a.
Then you have to realize there is micro zones of all sort inside the other zone.
By recording temps here I find part of my area is as good as zone 8 and some as low as zone 5 so I generally use 6 as an average. Best is to just check the last frost day from your area the last few years. I know zone 6 says may 15, but in reality mine will usually fall around the 22-23. And since I only use the frost date for starting seeds its no big deal so I start at June 1st. Some say to plant a week after last frost. I plant by soil temperature. Peppers dont get planted till the soil is at leas 65 degrees. Tomatoes 55-60 and some others as soon as the soil hits 50. Early seeds and potatoes dont reall matter and I usually plant on St pattys day. Trouble is every one wants there plants in early to be bigger and better then the rest. But if the soil isnt hot enough it dont matter because it shocks the plants. Causing them to sit dormat a month or two before really starting too thrive. So planting later is actually quicker. I only really use zones to compare which plants will grow best in my area.
viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
icebucketjohn

For decades, most gardeners in the Akron Ohio area planted veggies on Memorial Weekend (May 30th).

Last year was the very first year I planted tomato's peppers during the 1st & 2nd week of May! The earliest I can ever recall.

Global Warming?????
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Misdirection

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebucketjohn View Post
For decades, most gardeners in the Akron Ohio area planted veggies on Memorial Weekend (May 30th).

Last year was the very first year I planted tomato's peppers during the 1st & 2nd week of May! The earliest I can ever recall.

Global Warming?????
Nah, just Akron warming.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Misdirection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
viper1

Default Well

People can laugh at global warming. But a few facts are our winters are warmer for at least the last 10 years, Erie is drying up also, lowest water I've seen in years. Were in a drought for the last ten years. Varies across the country but every one is low and dropping. Polar caps are melting quickly. So earth's orbit and tilt is changing slightly when this happens. Some thing for use to worry about.. not sure but think not! But one day it will be and it will probably be our grand children or theirs. Ok so much for that.
Where does that leave us? Seems we constantly get better temps to grow in. But worse natural Disasters. I remember when If I planted before 2 nd week of June I would be in trouble. But last year ground was hot a whole lot sooner.From what im reading it will be warm enough by the 12th. But I'll still plant when ground is around 70* unless i have too sooner. Which would only be to get some out of the green house. And they'll be cold weather plants. Surely not tomatoes or peppers.

Last edited by viper1; 03-21-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
Star1pup

Viper, I appreciate the info. I'm probably in the same zone as you.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
icebucketjohn

Looks like this gardening season will be starting later due to the this winter's cold soil temps. Last year I planted peppers & tomato's during the 1st & 2nd week of May. NOT THIS YEAR. I'll probably go by the ole standbye of Memorial Day Planting.

As of today, Friday, March 21st, I havent started any tomato seeds, but planted 5 flats of peppers seeds... mainly Hungarian Bananna Hot Wax, Hungarian Medium Block, Italian Marconi Sweet, Green Bell, Yellow Bell & Orange Bell.
Attached Thumbnails
Home & Garden - Click for larger version   Home & Garden - Click for larger version   Home & Garden - Click for larger version   Home & Garden - Click for larger version  
Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Star1pup

Those photos are great! We just planted some pepper & tomato seeds indoors.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
viper1

Just potted up 520 tomatoes that germinated. Got peppers to do soon.
I never plant here until June 1st and later. Unless its potatoes or the cold weather ones. May 15th is last frost date here and they recommend planting 2 weeks after that. I had a hard frost here 3 times after June 1st last year. Peppers I don't plant until usually July 1st. But until then they'll be in the green house safe and getting a head start.
Holidays don't mean much to me ground temps and night time temps are what i watch. And no warm weather plants go in till ground is 60 Degrees or higher. And nights stay above 50.
I find most people in Ohio make 3 big mistakes in gardens! Plant to Early, over fertilize or over water. Best garden i ever had in Ohio was planted middle of July. Because weather stayed to wet or too cold. Then we had to go away. Shear stubbornness made me plant it. But if your plants get started in side there really is no rush.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
viper1

Almost forgot. Bought some meat rabbits also. Only three but i was happy to see they produce manure almost as fast as they eat. Less then a day and 1/2 of a 1 x 24 x 30 tray full already. Can't wait to breed them.
So now i got chicken manure and straw to compost, Rabbit manure that can be used straight or composted and all the old cow manure my buddy has. Defiantly won't be no chemicals in the garden.
1 more step to being self sufficient. Cant wait to do rabbit sausage,bacon and other meats.

« ants | Spring! »