Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Central Ohio Fishing Reports >

Pike Fishing

Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
crittergitter
Multi Species Angler

Default Pike Fishing

I found a stretch of open water to the north and fished for northern pike this afternoon. I caught 4 and had 2 others follow my lure to the bank. No, wait that was the dream I had about "catching" pike. Anyway, I did fish the river and it was a nice afternoon. I thought the over cast conditions would have the fish on the move, but it did not......for me anyway. The clarity was great but the river level was about a foot below ideal. I snagged up and lost 3 lures which was frustating, but it sure was good to get out of the house and cast a line.

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
cpr_mike1

I have never caught a pike in my life. That is my goal for this year. So that story was killing me for the first I think 4 sentences lol thanks critter.
cpr_mike1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Cap'n Karl

Kyle,
Don't forget you have to take me muskie fishing this year. Sorry I didn't make it to TOSA last Thursday but my brother just got into town, so I spent the night with him. I'm still debating what yak to get this year. I think the Trophy 126 is gonna win out though. Let me know when you're going out again, I'll gladly come along. I've been itching to get out and try my new baitcaster out.
Cap'n Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
crittergitter
Multi Species Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Karl View Post
Kyle,
Don't forget you have to take me muskie fishing this year. Sorry I didn't make it to TOSA last Thursday but my brother just got into town, so I spent the night with him. I'm still debating what yak to get this year. I think the Trophy 126 is gonna win out though. Let me know when you're going out again, I'll gladly come along. I've been itching to get out and try my new baitcaster out.
Yes, there will be plenty of musky fishing this spring and summer for sure. We'll get after them. Hopefully, this rain clears out a lot of the snow and ice at Alum.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Capital outdoorsman
day late, dollar short

It's kind of ironic/funny hearing people wanting to catch northern pike when I grew up in WI. They're definitely more plentiful up that way and people catch em when they're bass fishing all the time and many don't care for them. They are fun to catch though. I haven't even seen one in central ohio.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
cpr_mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital outdoorsman View Post
It's kind of ironic/funny hearing people wanting to catch northern pike when I grew up in WI. They're definitely more plentiful up that way and people catch em when they're bass fishing all the time and many don't care for them. They are fun to catch though. I haven't even seen one in central ohio.
I was in the airport in Wisconsin on a layover and got to talking about fishing with someone else from Wisconsin. I told him my dream was to get into a bunch of pike. His response was just laughter. But I laughed at him because he had never caught a bass over 3 lbs lol. He was good guy but I still hate the fact I have never caught a pike haha.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
ohiohunter43015
Banned

Mike I am going tomorrow text me if you still have my number
ohiohunter43015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
ohiohunter43015
Banned

Old 02-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
Capital outdoorsman
day late, dollar short

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr_mike1 View Post
I was in the airport in Wisconsin on a layover and got to talking about fishing with someone else from Wisconsin. I told him my dream was to get into a bunch of pike. His response was just laughter. But I laughed at him because he had never caught a bass over 3 lbs lol. He was good guy but I still hate the fact I have never caught a pike haha.
The picture in my avatar is the biggest WI bass I had EVER caught. Just a shade under 5lbs. The higher the lattitude the smaller the bass (for the most part anyway).
Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
cpr_mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohunter43015 View Post
TEXTED! I have been dying to get out.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 AM   #11
fishintechnician
FROG REAPER

FISH OGF Pro  
 Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  
 Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  

Total Awards: 7

-So did you guys go? If so how did it go?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
Fishermon5

It's great to hear all this talk about Northerns and WI. I am originally from there as well. When I saw this thread I was very interested by people talking about catching them in the warmer waters of central Ohio. One thing I can say though is even if the bass get smaller the further north you go, in northern WI the pike seem to be as prevelant as bass (and even when they are not, pike do like to come back for seconds and thirds).

Last edited by Fishermon5; 02-23-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Fishermon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
selfishboy22
Corah's Daddy

where does one go to fish for pike in central ohio? i have no idea. what tackle should i use? can you catch them good from the bank? let me know i am getting cabin fever and need to fish.
selfishboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
fishking12

what is the best thing to use to catch them with i want to try and catch a few this year
fishking12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #15
ohiohunter43015
Banned

Well I made it out for a few hours today fished 5 or 6 spots. Threw spinners and Xraps and HJ's to no avail. Couldn't get to the spots I wanted because of snow and parking but it was nice to get out and do some casting. TTalked to a couple other guys they were just getting set up so I can't say for sure how they did but the way they were doing it I bet they did pretty good.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #16
foundationfisher

there are lots of pike in ohio if you know where to go. this early in the year, big suckers or chubs under a bobber work better (in my exp.). in the fall, just about any crankbait or spinner will work. i've only caught them in rivers, so for what it's worth, i read an article in in-fisherman magazine. it said female pike can only produce eggs if the water gets ice cover, which doesen't always happen on ohio rivers, so if you catch one put it back.
foundationfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
danjaquino
WHODAMAN

Default mepps?

So, do you guys use swivels with bearings when throwing mepps inline spinners?
I never fish with them, but was considering this year for pike. I tried some small spinners for smallies awhile back and remember line twist from hell. Algia #4 was what I was thinking of throwing.

I don't know much about pike, but what I have heard and learned is that they like slower moving water and like to hid out near that grass stuff in the water. And if ya keep casting to the same spot over and over again, you can sometimes piss them off. (i did last year) It is very fun to catch them, they put up a good fight, especially on an outfit setup to catch smallies.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #18
ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjaquino View Post
So, do you guys use swivels with bearings when throwing mepps inline spinners?
I never fish with them, but was considering this year for pike. I tried some small spinners for smallies awhile back and remember line twist from hell. Algia #4 was what I was thinking of throwing.

I don't know much about pike, but what I have heard and learned is that they like slower moving water and like to hid out near that grass stuff in the water. And if ya keep casting to the same spot over and over again, you can sometimes piss them off. (i did last year) It is very fun to catch them, they put up a good fight, especially on an outfit setup to catch smallies.
I caught a lot of Northerns in my earlier years in Michigan,and my suggestion would be to use a leader of some sort.It will eliminate the line twists from hell and will prevent most bite offs.
ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #19
crittergitter
Multi Species Angler

I usually don't use a leader. The biggest I have ever seen in Ohio was about 34-36"s which is a really nice fish, but most where I am fishing are about 20-30" and a leader is just not necessary. I have never had line twist with a Mepps or any other kind of in-line spinner. I use them all the time when fishing for rockies and smallies.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #20
Gottagofishn

I believe that Pike have round teeth, Muskies have flat ones. That would be why you need a leader with Muskies and not pike. I could be wrong, but I think I heard that once upon a time.
Fishing in Canada we caught a bunch of Pike including a 43" without a leader. Never seemed to be an issue.