Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Central Ohio Fishing Reports >

fish ohio pin

Old 12-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
topmax

Default fish ohio pin

fish ohio pin dose it mach the fish you catch.mine has bluegill on it. i caugth a
saugeye
topmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
luredaddy

If a Bluegill is on the pin this year, it is on all the pins, no matter what species you turned in.
John
luredaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
st.slippy

Yep, the first species of fish ohio I got was a musky, and I was excited because this is the first year I participated. I got my certificate online, and saw it was a bluegill. Got the pin, bluegill too. 6 more species 6 more bluegill certificates. I was glad for the pin, but I hoped for species specific rewards, but I'm sure that is not cost effective

Last edited by st.slippy; 12-17-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: misspell
st.slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
river rat 101

Same problem slippy, i was so pumped that I landed a fish ohio muskie only to be rewarded with a blue gill pin. No offense to the all mighty blue gil but come on, my 3 year old wants a blue gill pin not me. I was also wondering about the Master angler award. I have caught and registered 5 fish ohio species and have not heard anything. Is there still a master angler pin?
river rat 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
creekrock

I caught 3 Fish Ohio species this year. I submitted them online in Oct and mailed them in early Nov and still have not received my pin. I am getting a little bit concerned that the state has run out of pins. How long does it generally take to receive the pin?
creekrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
crittergitter
Multi Species Angler

I haven't participated in the program in some time. At one point in time I had a hat with a FO pin from 7 straight years. Then, I thought....it's not really a big deal and stopped mailing them in. They put a different fish species on the pin each year. So, if you want a musky pin.....maybe next you catch a 9" bluegill and they send you a musky pin. lol I never did qualify for the Master Angler pin. I always sent my in around November and usually got certificates and pins first or second week of January or so. They'll send them.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
st.slippy

It takes a while to get the pins, I got the musky in April, and didn't get the pin until a few months ago. As far as the master angler pin, it said on the sight they would be sent out at the end of the year. I assume it will be a bluegill as well.
st.slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
NLC25

Does anyone know why the state does not have true Stripers as a category?
NLC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
jbender1000

The pin will take quite a while to get. It took about 4-5 months to get mine, and yes they still do have the master pins. I think they are going to be issued at the end of the year.
jbender1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
homebrew

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  

Total Awards: 1

Default No pin yet here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbender1000 View Post
The pin will take quite a while to get. It took about 4-5 months to get mine, and yes they still do have the master pins. I think they are going to be issued at the end of the year.
I caught 2 FO saugeye in June and still no pin.

How does everyone else feel about the sizes designated for the various species? Having just missed many times by 1/2" I think they are easy to get tantalizingly close to yet difficult to achieve (like the lottery). In other words, they did good!
homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
quackpot

grandson and i caught our fish in the spring and recieved the pins a couple months ago. only bad thing was the grandson hoping fpr a pin for each of his fish (2).
quackpot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #12
creekrock

My guess is that true Striper are not on the Fish Ohio list because they are only stocked in 1 or 2 lakes. Most of the fish on the list are fairly widespread. We just do not have lakes large enough and deep enough to support true Striper.

By the way, thanks for the info on the Fish Ohio pin. I am sure the state will get it to me. They have never let me down before.

Creekrock
Old 12-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
creekrock

My two cents:

I like the idea that the Fish Ohio pin has a different species on it every year. I like that Channel Cat and Freshwater Drum were represented on the pin, at one time, instead of Largemouth Bass or Walleye every year. It is part of the fun in getting your pin, wondering what species is going to be on it this year.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #14
river rat 101

Thanks for the info, I will sit tight and wait for my pin. I agree with the size limits, I have caught a 20 1/2" largemouth for about the last five summers, before finally landing a 21" this year. It does however seem easier to achieve numbers in some categories like bluegill/crappie/channel catfish. I also agree with critter that the pin and certificate really are not that big of a deal, but it is nice to put in scrap book with pictures of fish to relive the moment.
river rat 101 is offline   Reply With Quote