Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports >

Rangers or Game wardens

Old 05-05-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
redman

Question Rangers or Game wardens

Has anybody had any problems yet this year with the wannabe police?
A few of the people that I have talked to said they havent even seen any. I just wanted to get any input about what to expect.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 05-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
Big Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Big Daddy

I haven't heard anything that bad. I had a mild run-in with a watercraft guy out at West Branch while getting my boat checked. More annoying than anything else. Seemed to be trying to pull me into a confrontation. I didn't give him the pleasure. I guess all my dealings on here and a former site of being baited into a conflict prepared me for it.

Carl

Bass Pro Shops Pro Staff
Microspoons Pro Staff
ICE DANCE IN PROGRESS
Proud to be an ice fisherman

Take a kid fishing. Pass it on
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
Mr. Creosote

I've never had any problems other than a bit of a verbal hitch one time with one of the metro prks rangers. After saying I sounded like an old woman for complaining about the lack of enforcement regarding the littering problem, he emphasized that he was well aware of what was going on as he was a graduate of Tri-C. I took exception to the old woman remark, even though it may have been accurate, and asked him if Tri-C was actually accredited. That got the "perfesser" ticked off. Good thing I had my license.
Whenever I have an encounter with any law enforcement it's, "Yes sir, no sir,". That always works.

Last edited by Mr. Creosote; 05-05-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Mr. Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
Onion

Just a quick thought..

Most game wardens are invested with significant police powers and are not "wannabe" police. They ARE police officers for all intents and purposes.

Sometimes attitude can get you a long way, if you go into a meeting with a ranger or game warden with the attitude that they are "wannabe police" they will probably read the disrespect and treat you the same way.

I have had contact with many game wardens and rangers throughout Ohio, Minnesota, Tennessee, Florida and Kentucky and have never had an issue with any of them. Even when I didn't strictly follow the rules (like not having enough PFDs).

-James Larkin
Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:49 PM   #5
ShoreBoundOne
lengthy Member

Good point Onion.....just so most of you know...its WAY easier to get a job as a cop than it is to land one with the DNR.

Mitch
ShoreBoundOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:33 PM   #6
Fishman
Catch bait???

Send a message via AIM to Fishman

Ya redman, not sure what your talking about there.......
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:50 PM   #7
Lundy

I've seen a couple of instances of park rangers being rather assertive over the years, but have never had any issues with any game wardens or Div. of watercraft officers, even the time I was checked 5 times in one day on erie!

In the park rangers defense, if I had to deal with the greneral public everyday, I might lose it occasionally also. I wouldn't make a good park ranger, especially id someone called me a "wanna-be-cop".

Kim
Lundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:29 PM   #8
flathunter
Mellons mentor

Send a message via Yahoo to flathunter

I had a problem only once with a warden..I was levaing my fishing area and it was a hot day, he asked to see my drink container..I then opened up my small cooler and showed him the emptys..He told me good thing I had them or he would have assumed I left them behind somewhere and sighted me for litering.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:37 AM   #9
TIGHTLINER

Send a message via AIM to TIGHTLINER

Here's my two cents... They are never around to catch the bad guys that we see fishing the spillways everyday, but they seem to always be up for harassing the good guys on a regular basis.
TIGHTLINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:57 AM   #10
flathunter
Mellons mentor

Send a message via Yahoo to flathunter

I have to agree with you on that TIGHTLINER!
Old 05-06-2004, 06:28 AM   #11
redman

I also agree with tightliner, I didnt mean that they are all jack**** But there are a few out there that all they wanna do is be a jerk to someone, It seems like they are never around when you need them and when you do they are nowhere to be found or 6 out of ten times they are harassing ya
Old 05-06-2004, 11:43 AM   #12
Dave_E

Default Canal in Canal Fulton has been regularly patroled recently.

I witnessed 2 Rangers checking every person they saw with a rod for a fishing license, including me. They were very polite and explained what they were doing. They never held up anyone for longer than a minute and let them get right back to fishing.

On the other side, an A-hole is going to be an A-hole regardless of what job he chooses.
Dave_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:56 PM   #13
Shortdrift

Thumbs up My Remarks on Rangers

I have never met a ranger that was anything but polite and doing his job to the best of his ability. I don't feel they are wannabe police or are out to simply give recreation minded people a hard time. My boat has been inspected several times for equipment compliance as well as being creel checked and never had problems with the rangers. Once, I had unknowingly taken some beer onto a lake where it was prohibited. The Officer gave me a choice of tossing it in the dumpster or receiving a citation. That was a pretty decent thing to do.
Shortdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:12 PM   #14
baby bass

Post rangers or game wardens

i've been checked several times and have never had any trouble. i have only
been treated with respect each time i was checked.i'am not saying you won't
find a bad apple sometime,because theirs good and bad in all occupations.
baby bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:25 PM   #15
PAYARA
THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

i find the Division of Wildlife guys to be the coolest
of them all.you don't ussually see them very often
(at least i dont)but when i do they are ALWAYS
cool and will bs with you for awhile.i dont have much
problems with the state park guys,most are cool,but
there is one MAJOR out there roaming the Portage
Lakes area,iam sure you know who he is.the really over-weight,middle aged, red haired guy hes a real
buster.as far as the metro parks ''rangers'',they
are really sad.i cant believe they are allowed to carry
guns,seriously.and they seem to lack proper fish id skills.

Last edited by tpet96; 05-09-2004 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Removing the "Symbol Editing". Not allowed via OGF TOS.
PAYARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:52 PM   #16
AndroDoug
Duke of Bucketmouth

Unbelievably, I have never been checked. I have only seen one a couple times ever. I have done a lot of fishing at Mogadore, but I guess they don't hang around the southern end. Practically all my other fishing time has been at Congress and Wingfoot, and they obviously do not patrol those.

And you know what's funny, I never was totally legal till this past year...since I have discovered these forums and talked to everyone. I always had proper registration, life jackets and a license, but I never had a "distress flag" or extinguisher or flares...till today! I took a trip up to Gander mountain and splurged. Bought a new IM-7 rod (10 bucks off of 50) and a bunch of Power bait worms and lizards. IF ANYONE WANTS TO KNOW, POWER BAIT IS ON SALE FOR 1.50-3.29 A PACK. ALL STYLES. I bought the ribbon tail worms in gr pump, pump seed, and june bug colors. Great deals right now.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:54 PM   #17
Mr. Creosote

Your right about the DOW lawmen. They are good dudes. That one at Portage lakes is needed out there. The place is over run the boozer/cruiser, pontoonbilly types.
Mr. Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:28 AM   #18
fishfinder668

I am amazed at the number of so called sportsmen who have bad attitudes toward DOW officers and the people who are trying to protect the natural resources of this state. I get checked quite often and am glad. I have also watched as people have been busted for keeping more than their limits of fish (i.e.-- the Canadian guy who was hiding steelhead in his car two at a time and going back for more--repeatedly--he had over 20 when he got caught up at the Chagrin River!!!!), the snaggers at Maumee and Sandusky Rivers, guys trespassing while deer hunting--a couple of which did not even have hunting licenses, and a couple of guys who refused to wear blazed orange while gun hunting for deer (retarded if you ask me). To me, the inconvenience of being checked a few times a year is worth it to get these fools out of action. The outdoor sports are like everything else---a few idiots can make things bad on everyone involved! And more often than not--these are the idiots who bad mouth the "wanna-be" law enforcement officers. These guys are doing their best to do their jobs--which, by the way, is to uphold the law. I do not always like the laws--but can usually see the necessity of them when being honest in their evaluation. The next time a warden asks you for your license, try being respectful and polite and you'll probably get the same in return. The reason so many offenses can go unpunished is the ratio of millions of outdoor sportsmen compared to how many officers? Then, there are the guys who want to give these officers a hard time and hold them up, rather than complying with what is requested and allowing them to move on and catch the people who are really breaking the laws!!!
fishfinder668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:19 PM   #19
redman

Lets get this issue straight. I DID NOT say all d.o.w officers were wanna-be's. I have the utmost respect for 99% of them. I have never bad mouthed or shown disrespect when I have been asked for my license.
I Was asking about the jerks who try to make life unpleasureable for the heck of it just because they have the power to.
Granted, some of them do have bad days just like the rest of us but, then there are some who treat everybody like they are lower than them.
I am sorry that I did not clearly state this for whomever has not run across a ranger with a permenant attitude.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #20
catking
Banned

Default Thread-

Come on guys, lets not blow this thread into something it was not meant to be.I know what redman was trying to say. For the most part, the wardens are great people who will go out of their way to help you out. Then there are a few who just seem to enjoy using their powers to make you look the fool. I've had it happen a few times, and it was uncalled for. But you get this in all walks of life, not just game protectors. CATKING.
catking is offline   Reply With Quote