Notices

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Discuss your favorite species! > Carp Discussions >

Eating Carp

Old 04-22-2004, 08:11 AM   #1
ShakeDown
OGF Staff

Default Eating Carp

I was reading something on another forum this morning, where some guy was asking for carp recipies. I was chowing down on a bagel at the time, and started thinking that my cream cheese was carp butter. Now that I'm already a bit sick to my stomach (the damage is done), I was wondering if anyone has ever fileted one of those yellow monsters for consumption. How'd it taste, and how'd you prepare it? Just curious!
ShakeDown is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 04-22-2004, 08:17 AM   #2
mrfishohio
Recovering Fishaholic

Just order a McFish fillet & you know !!
Actually I've heard they are real good, baked. Somehow they got a bad rep here, but of course are treasured elsewhere in the world.
mrfishohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
tpet96
OGF member

They are still a delicacy in Germany and Russia. Most of the commercial market is geared toward the Jewish community in New York and New Jersey. I've had smoked carp. You can purchase it (not sure about now....this was 3 years ago) from Cheesehaven up in Port Clinton. Not bad. I've had sheephead before too believe it or not. It was actually very good. The lady that made it had added cream of mushroom or chicken (can't remember) to it, and bread. Made like a shredded fish sandwich.
tpet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:36 AM   #4
RiverRat
Banned

Jewish markets sell CARP meat only....a very important food item to some.
The bad rap carp have gotten is because of the "infamous" mud vien, which is only in real life the thick vien that runs along the latteral line of the fish.Since carp can "feel" things beyound most other fish, this might explain why thiers is rather large>
Anyway, Carp is suposed to be one of the best smoked & canned fish around.
Carp were brought over here as a food fish..but somehow got a very bad rap??

Talk to Bob B. he'll explain it way better than i can..and as for the McFish, yea probably right as we have a rather large carp netting operation right here in Ohio for carp to be sold to certain fish markets, paylakes, ect...so i bet McD's gets thier fish from such operations???

Also Shawn W. has tried carp and said it was VERY good, so maybe he can shed some light on the subject too.
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
ShakeDown
OGF Staff

Yeah, they do have a bad rap here. Doesn't help that they're labeled as forage fish in the states...then again, all you have to do is visit the spillway at Pymy and see the carp stacked waist deep and eating anything thrown into the water, which is pretty nasty.

Sheeeeephead....BLECH!
ShakeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:49 AM   #6
tpet96
OGF member

Quote:
Carp were brought over here as a food fish..but somehow got a very bad rap??
It's called World War 2 my friend The carp is a delicacy to the Germans. During WW 2, Americans showed their Anti-German setiment by harvesting those fish and slitting their bellys, throats, cutting off fins/tails and releasing them back into the water. Up until that time, they were common table fare here in the US. Well after WW2, that "ritual" stuck around. That's why today you see people throwing those so called "trash" fish up on the bank. They were taught to do that by their elders, or have seen others do it. I've taken people fishing for carp before that have never fished a day in their life, and that's all they do now. It's not just because it's not good table fare, its because of the past history, and how those things play down from generation to generation.

And for the record, carp were introduced into fish farms in the US in the mid to late 1800's. The fish were reared there and stocked as a food source during the depression times. This was done by the US Fish Service (US Fish and Game Service now).

Last edited by tpet96; 04-22-2004 at 08:51 AM.
tpet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:00 AM   #7
twistertail

I have canned carp before and it makes good fish patties. I have also smoked it and its just like any other smoked fish, the brine that you use is what makes the difference. I have also canned suckers and they are good too. I have fried up sheephead also, if you clean them right they can be pretty good.
twistertail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:20 AM   #8
steelmagoo
Enjigneer

I deep fried a 4 or 5 pounder once, removed the mud vein etc. Didn't like it. My in-laws live on the Illinois River (Meredosia, Illinois) and they used to eat a lot of it. They say it is all about preparation, soaking, scoring, etc. Down there they also do sheephead, which they call white bass.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:22 AM   #9
TimJC
Carp Angler

I just read about how good sheephead are to eat last night on roughfish.com. How convenient that this conversation start up here and now.
TimJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:53 PM   #10
catking
Banned

Default Why-

Why would anybody go through all the trouble to eat a carp, when we have some very tasty cats swimmin in the same waters Well, I'll take that back, farm raised cats CATKING.........
catking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:06 PM   #11
PAYARA
THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

i ate some while i was in Germany and have had some
here as well.both were cooked different,but there was
nothing wrong with the taste of either.in Germany
you can walk into a store and buy live carp that will
be cleaned for you right on spot.the size of these
tanks were masive,with loads of small carp of
1-2lbs in them.i DO know the proper way to clean these
fish,i was taught by several different people.one form Isreal(who showed me bank side on a real carp,that did not
come from me )and 2 guys from Russia,also met a guy from Hungry that offered some good advice on the cleaning.i find it an interesting subject.
but iam in no way for the killing and eating of any carp.
in the US or abroad
Old 04-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #12
Fishman
Catch bait???

Send a message via AIM to Fishman

I've actually done my fair share of filleting carp. At Kincaid hatchery (I think thats the place I was at) There they use carp fry as their transitional food for juvinile muskys. They start them on brine shirmp and then move them up to carp fry before moving them over the blunt noses. Well anyhow, after they spawn the carp they are basically useless to them. So the college I go to, gets to go and get the pituitary glands from them. Pituitarys from fish, particularly pre-spawn, spawning, and post-spawn fish are rich in the hormones that induce fish to spawn. Since the hormone that induces a fish to spawn are "basically" the same and carp are so readily available the pituitary glands are harvested from them, which is very very bloody event since your basically just lobbing the top of their heads off to get to the middle of their brain. We'll after we do that we fillet the fish so we can use the carp fillets for largemouth bass production ( theres a plus side to this, nothing goes to waste ) From what I saw the fillets are very red along the lateral line, but the rest of the meat looks just like that from any other fish. My professor along with some other students took some of the fillets home, cut that red portion out. Apparenly the red portion has the highest fat content because of that it also contains the highest ammount of heavy metals ect. My friend who took some of th fillets home said he mixed them in with some saugeye and his wife was none the wiser to the fact she was eatting carp. Now to a connoisseur of fish, one could probably tell a difference, but otherwise they are probably pretty good.
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:50 AM   #13
PAYARA
THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

fishman,

where can i get the pituitary of carp????ive been after some for a few years(i use it for several fish breeding projects )iam not going to get it out of the fish i catch thats for sure it really is a GREAT spawing aid,and some of the most challenging fishes to breed in captivity have bred in days after being injected.i know the proper anestetics(sp)to use before the injecting,ect,ect.the
hormones really ripen the females and send males as
well as females into BIG TIME heat.do some playing with
water conditions and anything,with anyfish is totaly
possible. these hormones is how some fish keepers
get very rich
Old 04-23-2004, 11:07 AM   #14
Corey
OGF Team-Charter Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Corey

A friend and fishing buddy gave me his secret to fixing Carp. I was hesitant to try it but finally did, last Fall, and it's on my list of what to stock in the freezer this year. He filets the Carp and skins the filets. Then he cuts the meat into small, shrimp sized pieces. He then drops the pieces, a few at a time, into boiling water and lets them boil for one minute or less. ( I settled on between 40 and 50 seconds after trying it) He then drains the pieces and chills them in the refrigerator. Eat them like Shrimp Cocktail, with coctail sauce. They're actually delicious!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:11 AM   #15
steelmagoo
Enjigneer

Maybe the Linesville hatchery? http://www.fish.state.pa.us/Fish/dir_fcs.htm
Old 04-23-2004, 02:02 PM   #16
Fishman
Catch bait???

PAYARA,

Buying pituitary isn't cost effective at all. Your going to be looking at about 200 dollars per gram, maybe higher, maybe slighly lower if you're considering buying it in large quanitys (5+ grams). I would take the price into consideration before sparing a few carps their lives, since after all the pitutiarys are going to cost a carp somewhere its life so you can have its hormones. There are alternatives of pituitary hormones, they can be bought species specific but those are even more costly. Carp are the cheapest by far. There are some chemicals that can be used, but off the top of my head I can't think of them.

Pituitarys are very small, but can be seen with the human eye. They are easy to extract provided the carp is "lobotimized" properly. Don't quote me on this, but I think carp have on of the largest pituitarys of readily available fish.

Injections of these hormones is based on the species and weight of the fish. If you want some numbers as far as mL goes for injections I can provide you with what I have. I've never personally used the numbers I have but they are stated as working, but as always if you over do it, I don't accept reponsibilty.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #17
Fishman
Catch bait???

Oh, one more thing. As to spawning carp in captivity its faily easy. Aquire the fish when they are near spawn, drop your water temperature below their favorable temperature levels (64-72). High 50s SHOULD keep them from spawning but on the verge of dropping everything they have. Increase the water temps when you want it to happen and nature will take its course.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:17 PM   #18
PAYARA
THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

yeah i want carp patuitary because they are cyprinids,and so are species i would like to spawn.shoot think patuitary
is expensive try carp pharamones BTW know any
place to get carp pharamones?

also,your refering to carp spawning in capivity in
ponds?indoor ponds?green house ponds?or what?you could get ripe fish from the wild and just hand strip them.

one more thing,how long can the fish be dead before
removeing the gland?must it be done soon after death?
how should it be stored after being removed?
just curious to all this,thanks
Old 04-23-2004, 07:26 PM   #19
Fishman
Catch bait???

Remove the pituitary from the carp right after you kill it. I think if you take the pituitarys and put them in a saline water solution then crush the putitarys and freeze it you can keep the solution for a year or so. I'm not exactly sure on that, but I'll look it up here in a few minutes. You can also dry them out and save them, I think :P.

The spawning methods I described work anywhere. The hardest part would be finding a water source or a means of keeping water in the range where you want it and have the capabilty to increase the temperatures when you see fit.

You could hand strip carp and fertilize the eggs yourself, provided you know how to "culture" them from that point forward. I think its done with McDonald jars, a common egg hatching peice of equipment, not sure why you would want to spawn a carp though, unless you want to use the fry for feeders.

HCG is the name of chemical you can use to spawn fish with as well. I'm not sure on the price of how much it cost, but its probably going to be expensive if not more so than pituitary hormones.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:32 PM   #20
Fishman
Catch bait???

Whoa just learned something myself. Here I had always been under the impression that HCG is a chemical, looks like its acutally a hormone extracted from no other than humans. Pregrant females unrine to be exact. HCG is human chorionic gonadotropin, and apparenly only licensed people can use it or at least sell it. Maybe vets have access to it and can sell it for fish spawning purposes, this I do not know.

Carp pituitarys are the only thing I have any expierance with being used for spawning. You mentioned wanting to use them for cyprinids but the hormones that are produced by the cyprinds are the same as that produced by any other family. Centrarchids for example could be induced with cyprind pituitary or vise versa.

I still need to double check on the storage methods, I'll post it here in a minute.

Last edited by Fishman; 04-23-2004 at 07:40 PM.