Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports >

Stark County Fishing

Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
FlashMan2702

Default Stark County Fishing

Just making this as a general thread for places in Stark County, specifically for my interest places like Petros, Sippo and the Tusc River out of Massillon, but anything anyone wants is game.

I just wanting to know if anyones having any luck yet at any of these 3 places? I've been to each one a couple times this year but no luck yet, however I haven't been out in the past 2 weeks b/c I decided to give the waters some time to warm up b/c I was having absolutely no luck a the time. So if so, whats hitting, and on what?
FlashMan2702 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 05-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
jkp836

I caught a couple of LM Bass out of the Tusc yesterday. I could only fish for a half hour so not to bad considering.
jkp836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
nathan161

Hello im in the Belden Village area trying to look into some Stark County fishing as well. Do you think you can give me directions to the Tusc River out of Massillon? I have been there before a few years ago but i have no clue where to park and any spots, I wanna try for some cats,thanks

I went to Sippo the other day, I caught some nice cats and a 17 inch bass of the pier. It sucks it closes at 11pm though.

Petros, I know there are a few trout still in there from the fall. I caught a few on a Silver Red Hair Rooster Tail.
nathan161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
jkp836

A good place to park to fish in the Tusc is right in front of Elum Music, it's right behind Riteaid. Then just walk over the bridge and down to the Tusc. A lot of guys fish for cats at night between the Lincolnway bridge and the new Treamont bridge that is under construction. Another good place to park is if you drive down and around the Cherry street bridge. One spot I found yesterday was pretty good too. They have Earl rd blocked off right after the Aqua Ohio facility. You can park right in the street right in front of the road closed signs and either fish that creek or walk the rest of the way down to the Tusc. The guy I was talking to had already caught a six pound cat fishing out of the creek that feeds into the Tusc.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
GULPisgreat

there is a decent pond i used to fish a little bit in belden village. its right behind that big first merit building on munson st. accross from G.E. if you go to munson, then north on higbee ave. youll see a little dirt road/parking spot on the left. you still might be able to drive up there. there were always some bass to catch or at least alot of bluegill play around with.
GULPisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 AM   #6
nathan161

Thanks man, Sounds good.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Diver Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMan2702 View Post
Just making this as a general thread for places in Stark County, specifically for my interest places like Petros, Sippo and the Tusc River out of Massillon, but anything anyone wants is game.

I just wanting to know if anyones having any luck yet at any of these 3 places? I've been to each one a couple times this year but no luck yet, however I haven't been out in the past 2 weeks b/c I decided to give the waters some time to warm up b/c I was having absolutely no luck a the time. So if so, whats hitting, and on what?

Just thought Id throw the idea of the Mahoning river out to ya. Been allot of people fishing for white bass the last week or 2 in alliance.
Diver Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
FlashMan2702

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan161 View Post
Hello im in the Belden Village area trying to look into some Stark County fishing as well. Do you think you can give me directions to the Tusc River out of Massillon? I have been there before a few years ago but i have no clue where to park and any spots, I wanna try for some cats,thanks

I went to Sippo the other day, I caught some nice cats and a 17 inch bass of the pier. It sucks it closes at 11pm though.

Petros, I know there are a few trout still in there from the fall. I caught a few on a Silver Red Hair Rooster Tail.
Yea I caught a trout earlier this spring at Petros, but thats the only thing I got in 2 trips out there.

What'd you catch the cats on at Sippo? And were you fishing at night or just during the day?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
FlashMan2702

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp836 View Post
A good place to park to fish in the Tusc is right in front of Elum Music, it's right behind Riteaid. Then just walk over the bridge and down to the Tusc. A lot of guys fish for cats at night between the Lincolnway bridge and the new Treamont bridge that is under construction. Another good place to park is if you drive down and around the Cherry street bridge. One spot I found yesterday was pretty good too. They have Earl rd blocked off right after the Aqua Ohio facility. You can park right in the street right in front of the road closed signs and either fish that creek or walk the rest of the way down to the Tusc. The guy I was talking to had already caught a six pound cat fishing out of the creek that feeds into the Tusc.
Wheres that creek at? The spot I usually go to when Im down there is off of Cherry, but Im not sure where this creek is I dont think? Then again Im fairly "new" to the river so I havent discovered everything out down there yet.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
husky hooker

petos 's trout are by the culvert deep end,. small minnows and power bait gets them,and there are lots of them from fall.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #11
jkp836

If you fish just off of Cherry then you are probably fishing either right under the Cherry street bridge or in the spillway next to it, and you are probably pulling off and going down and around the bridge to park. If you keep going straight on that road you pull off of Cherry street to go under the bridge until it dead ends into the road closed signs you can't miss it. The reason why the road is closed is because the bridge that goes over the creek is out.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #12
swordfish

My last two trips to Petros i took home the skunk.Tues day at Sippo i took 4 nice perch ,black crappie, and bluegill, off the dock using minnows from the marina right on bottom.Tried my spot at Atwood Monday and was a bit to windy,I talked to a guy who had a nice limit of saugeye tho, moved over to Tappan later in the afternoonand hit a few gill's nothing of any size ,but they are moving in. i stopped at the spillway at Tappan got out of the truck to take a look ,when i turned around the game warden was there wanting to see my license. I wasn't there five minutes.
swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
nathan161

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMan2702 View Post
Yea I caught a trout earlier this spring at Petros, but thats the only thing I got in 2 trips out there.

What'd you catch the cats on at Sippo? And were you fishing at night or just during the day?

I Caught the cats on some frozen shad, and turtle meat, yeah it was at night i stayed on the pier til i was asked to leave by a park ranger, didn't know the park closes at 11.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
kennedy327

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan161 View Post
I Caught the cats on some frozen shad, and turtle meat, yeah it was at night i stayed on the pier til i was asked to leave by a park ranger, didn't know the park closes at 11.

Yea it sucks, especially since the fish usually dont bite at sippo till 9pm.
kennedy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
DrCavin

Was at Petros yesterday, only had one gill. Didn't stay too long since it was very windy. Can you fish anywhere on the lake or is it only certain areas? I noticed a net stretched across the lake & wasnt sure what it was for??
DrCavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #16
SeA nYmPhO

Dont waste your time fishing at Petros unless you like catching little catfish or carp. Sippo is not much better at all. Atleast there you can catch nice bass but you need to be in a boat. I'd fish the Tusc if thats the only 3 you go to. You never know what youll catch in the river
Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #17
FlashMan2702

Anywhere at Petros is open for fishing; not sure what the net would be about? As far as Petros though Im not high on it myself, never had much success there.

The Tusc seems like a good place, but I've yet to reel one in outta there yet, was down there Saturday late morning/early noon for about n hour killing time.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
jkp836

Are you kidding me? The Tusc has been killer for the past week. I was down there tonight and only had about twenty minutes and caught a nice pike and a decent small mouth. My neighbor went down with his kids tonight and caught about 10 rock bass, all on nightcrawlers. The bigger pike usually hang way up river near the lock 4 area, at least that has been my experience. Last year I had a monster on maybe about a quarter mile south of the lock. It was the biggest fish I have ever seen in the Tusc. Didn't land her so I'll be back there again looking for her this year for sure. If I had the time I would start at Butter Bridge and work my way up to the lock. I bet there are some monsters in through there.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #19
Smallmouth70

Send a message via AIM to Smallmouth70

The net at Petros is for the kids fishing derby. They net off the shallow half of the lake and then release some BIG cats into the water. The nets will allow smaller fish through, but keep the cats all in one area so the kids can have a chance to catch a big one. They released several large blues and a bunch of big channel cats this year.

My boss said one of his daughters caught a 36 inch channel there either last year or the year before. A coworker said he caught a 20 pound Blue out of there at night one time. So, there are definitely some big cats in there. If you go in the fall or right after the ice melts, they stock the lake with trout and you can get some decent rainbows. I caught a 20 incher there just after ice out this spring. I also caught a 12 inch gizzard shad there, biggest shad I've ever caught lol.
Smallmouth70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #20
FlashMan2702

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp836 View Post
Are you kidding me? The Tusc has been killer for the past week. I was down there tonight and only had about twenty minutes and caught a nice pike and a decent small mouth. My neighbor went down with his kids tonight and caught about 10 rock bass, all on nightcrawlers. The bigger pike usually hang way up river near the lock 4 area, at least that has been my experience. Last year I had a monster on maybe about a quarter mile south of the lock. It was the biggest fish I have ever seen in the Tusc. Didn't land her so I'll be back there again looking for her this year for sure. If I had the time I would start at Butter Bridge and work my way up to the lock. I bet there are some monsters in through there.
Where at, up near CF or outta Massillon? And what are you using for bait? I have been using all artificial so far, haven't had any live bait.