Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > The Lounge >

Fish Ohio With No Pictures ???

Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
The Zodiac
Small Water Veteran

Default Fish Ohio With No Pictures ???

I have never bothered sending in any Fish Ohio applications in the past & it has been probably 10 years since I last even checked Fish Ohio requirements, until today.

I go to the fish ohio site & go to the application only to notice that there is no option, or better yet requirement to upload a photo of your fish. Now I honestly can't remember, but didn't you need a photo years ago ? This seems to devalue the whole Fish Ohio program & open the doors to thousands that just want the pin. But the Grand Slam program requires a photo. Why not require it for both then ?

If I am wrong, please correct me as this makes me see no reason to even bother with the program.
The Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 04-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Hatchetman

Default Fish Ohio

They used to require you to have a witness sign the app along with you but that was changed quite a few years ago. As of this year it is all done on the computer. I don't remeber a photo being required. Now the In-Fisherman one does require a photo, maybe that's what you are thinking of. Ohio has decided to put there trust in the people sending in the app's to be honest and probably 99% are honest about what they send in. You'll always have some that will want to game the system....
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
M.Magis

It's a .25 cent pin. Probably not worth worrying about.
M.Magis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
The Zodiac
Small Water Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Now the In-Fisherman one does require a photo, maybe that's what you are thinking of..
lol That is the one I was thinking of.

And sure it might just be a $.25 pin, but I don't think the value of the pin is the key factor that motivates people to send their catches in. lol

What makes no sense is that they do require photos for the Grand Slam. If no photos were required at all then no one ( like me ) would notice.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
MuskieManOhio

Send a message via AIM to MuskieManOhio

I caught 2 fish ohio Crappies last year and they sent me bluegill pins?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Hatchetman

Default Bluegill pins

They make the pin each year with 1 fish speciies so no matter what you catch, everyone gets the same pin. Catch a bass, get a bluegill, catch a muskie get a bluegill. It changes every year. Next year it will be some other fish....
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
husky hooker

ya wanna see what there worth go to e bay and put in fish ohio pin. how about the guy that wants 650 bucks for his set?? .25 don t think so.

Last edited by husky hooker; 04-13-2010 at 05:18 PM.
husky hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
The Zodiac
Small Water Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky hooker View Post
ya wanna see what there worth go to e bay and put in fish ohio pin. how about the guy that wants 650 bucks for his set?? .25 don t think so.
That is true about ebay & wildlife memorabilia, if that is a good term to use for it. My grandfather gave me a 1918 Ohio Game Warden badge that was his grandfather's, as he was a warden. I sold it on ebay several years ago. I put a $5 starting bid on it. Two hours into the auction it was at $68 & at days end it was at $178 with 6 people in a bid war. When the auction ended it sold for $535. The guy that bought it was an elderly gentleman that was a retired Ohio Game Warden that collected all things of antiquity regarding Ohio's wildlife. He was a real nice guy. He loved that badge.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
MuskieManOhio

Send a message via AIM to MuskieManOhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zodiac View Post
That is true about ebay & wildlife memorabilia, if that is a good term to use for it. My grandfather gave me a 1918 Ohio Game Warden badge that was his grandfather's, as he was a warden. I sold it on ebay several years ago. I put a $5 starting bid on it. Two hours into the auction it was at $68 & at days end it was at $178 with 6 people in a bid war. When the auction ended it sold for $535. The guy that bought it was an elderly gentleman that was a retired Ohio Game Warden that collected all things of antiquity regarding Ohio's wildlife. He was a real nice guy. He loved that badge.
I would of never sold it if it was something my grandfather gave me ex if I knew it was his grandfathers.. Does anyone know what this years pin is then?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
The Zodiac
Small Water Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskieManOhio View Post
I would of never sold it if it was something my grandfather gave me ex if I knew it was his grandfathers..

You just havn't been that down & out I guess. Food just doesn't buy itself bro.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
husky hooker

lot of food cuboards out there bro!!!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
saugeyesam

Send a message via Yahoo to saugeyesam
Default Fish Ohio!

I know some think the Fish Ohio program is pointless, but I take pride in my fishing and send in every catch that qualifies. I have quite a few Fish Ohio pins and certificates. I make sure I get good pictures of each qualifier and then I have a good quality print made to frame and hang on the wall right next to the certificate. My pins I keep in an Oak display box with a glass lid that my step dad and I made. I average one or two Fish Ohio quality fish each year and some years I get 3 but I have yet to get four and qualify for the master angler award. Maybe I will achieve it some day but it's not like I fish strictly for the fish Ohio awards. I don't, but I still turn them in.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
M.Magis

Wow, some of you missed the whole point. Those pins are cheap. They may be worth a lot to some people, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t cheap. Okay, so some people may stretch the truth to get one. It’s not a big deal.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
The Zodiac
Small Water Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky hooker View Post
lot of food cuboards out there bro!!!!!
True, but as long as you have other means to get what you need, then you do whatever has to be done. I would rather live off the land than to take food from homeless or displaced families, that mostly include children anyways. Food drives are for those that have not a damn thing to sell in my opinion.

Sentiment may be nice, but in the real world it doesn't help anyone.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
jcustunner24

Send a message via AIM to jcustunner24 Send a message via Yahoo to jcustunner24

Boy, the wheels are coming off of this one quickly.

Magis, I got your point pretty clearly. The pins are inexpensive to make, therefore, the requirements to get one aren't stringent. In all likelihood, if you stretch the truth to get a 5 year old a pin, it may make him a fisherman for life. Probably worth it.

If adults lied to get one, it's worth about as much as it cost to make. However, if there's a memory or achievement attached to it, the monetary value is superseded by the sentimental value.

Personally, I don't ever strive to get a pin. The fish ohio lengths are fun to shoot for, but I don't need a "feather in my cap" if it happens.

And Zodiac, kudos to you for selling that item to someone who appreciated it more than you. I'm sure you have plenty of memories of your grandfather, and you created a memory for the guy who made the purchase. I probably would've kept it, but I don't see anything wrong with selling it - be it to put food on the table or because it didn't have any real value to you.
jcustunner24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #16
saugeyesam

Send a message via Yahoo to saugeyesam

I can't believe we are bashing this program. If you don't agree with it then don't participate. But don't ridicule those who honestly submit valid entries. I don't give a damn if the pin costs a nickle to make. I enjoy the challenge of trying to catch big fish. So if that makes me a bad guy or ignorant then that's your opinion and your entitled to it. But keep it to yourselves. I don't care if others lie to get their pins or certificates. I know mine are legit and I photograph my catches not just for proof, but to preserve the memories. I think some on this site just look for things to be negative about. What a shame.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
The Zodiac
Small Water Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcustunner24 View Post
Boy, the wheels are coming off of this one quickly.
lol That is what i was thinking. Holy smokes.

I totally agree with what you had to say. The badge itself held no sentimental value for me, unlike other items that I do not sell, most of wish are worthless on the market anyways. The only reason I even brought it up was to add on to what the one fellow said about ebay & people that collect these kinds of items.

The food pantry comment made me laugh, as it really had no place in the conversation, & 9 times out of 10 the only people that would even bring that up are those that never were put in a position of wondering what the hell they would do to feed the family. I am not trying to start anything with that poster, it just seemed very condescending & without merit.

And I am glad it was bought by someone that did appreciate it more than I did. During that period of my life I sold nearly everything I had that had even a slight monetary value. It didn't mean I loved my grandfather any less or that i did not cherish anything that he had given me. In fact he would of been pissed at me if I would of chose to go hungry over selling that badge.

*cheers*
Old 04-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #18
The Zodiac
Small Water Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saugeyesam View Post
I can't believe we are bashing this program. If you don't agree with it then don't participate. But don't ridicule those who honestly submit valid entries. I don't give a damn if the pin costs a nickle to make. I enjoy the challenge of trying to catch big fish. So if that makes me a bad guy or ignorant then that's your opinion and your entitled to it. But keep it to yourselves. I don't care if others lie to get their pins or certificates. I know mine are legit and I photograph my catches not just for proof, but to preserve the memories. I think some on this site just look for things to be negative about. What a shame.
Just so you know, I didn't start this thread to bash the Fish Ohio program. I was just curious if it always was without a picture requirement, as I thought it did require one in the past. Nor do I have any opinion either way on those that enter it for a pin. The reason I noticed it was no requirement was because I thought well, hell I might enter some fish in this year if I catch any & get a pin for myself.

I actually like the program & think it is a good idea. I just wish pictures were a requirement just as it is for the Grand Slam that is all.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #19
jcustunner24

Send a message via AIM to jcustunner24 Send a message via Yahoo to jcustunner24

Quote:
Originally Posted by saugeyesam View Post
Who's bashing the program? I think the program's great, and if you are a person who pursues the pins, that's awesome. Maybe I misread Magis' point, but I didn't take that as bashing the program at all. Seemed he was simply explaining why there aren't strict rules requiring a photo to get one. (Which, by the way, was the original question).

I certainly don't see anyone ridiculing those who try to get their pins every year. Just because some people opt not to do it, that doesn't mean your achievement is being ridiculed.
jcustunner24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #20
M.Magis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcustunner24 View Post
Who's bashing the program? I think the program's great, and if you are a person who pursues the pins, that's awesome. Maybe I misread Magis' point, but I didn't take that as bashing the program at all. Seemed he was simply explaining why there aren't strict rules requiring a photo to get one. (Which, by the way, was the original question).
Thank you, that’s all I meant. Not sure where the conclusion came from that I was “bashing” the program? Seems like a pretty big leap to me.