Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Hunter's Lodge > Guns and Ammo >

"Primitve Weapons"

Old 08-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
c. j. stone

Default "Primitve Weapons"

Was just wondering if muzzle loaders are considered "firearms" as in the type that "felons" cannot own? I know they could probably get licenses and tags for "bow" hunting which is included in the primitive seasons. Theres so much 'hearsay' on primitive weapons, this thought just crossed my mind and I thought someone on here might have a legal definition.
c. j. stone is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
freyedknot
useless poster

you can buy a muzzleloader right thru the mail,as long as you are 18. cabelas and bass pro will ship them to your door no problem. even at walmart you do not have to fill out the questionare for them to check you out.
freyedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Whaler
Whaler

Look it up on the Ohio revised Code and see if it says.
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
ClickerCrazy

Send a message via MSN to ClickerCrazy

How can you call a modern muzzle loader a primitive weapon? I mean come on!! Shotgun primers, electronic ignition. You suppose Davey Crockett had an extra battery for his Kentucky Rifle? lol.....I started shooting Muzzleloaders when I was 9 years old, my father still builds them to this day. I'd like to see them have a REAL primitive weapons season, Not a high powered rifle season.

https://www.facebook.com/DavidHallCustomKnives
ClickerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Lundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickerCrazy View Post
I'd like to see them have a REAL primitive weapons season, Not a high powered rifle season.
I wouldn't.

As long as you still pour the powder down the barrel and shove home a bullet I'm fine with it.

Or we could have a season for single shot shotguns only, or pumps, or a bow season for recurves and long bows only, or maybe compounds but shot with fingers only no releases, how about a bow season for bows with just wheels no cams allowed.

We live in a world where hunters need to support each other no matter what weapon they choose to to hunt with. This idea reminds me of the same old crossbow versus longbow debate that has been raging since crossbows were first legalized back in the 70's.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
buckeyeguy

Lundy beat me to it.
buckeyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:48 AM   #7
ezbite
the Susan Lucci of OGF

I Asked this question to a police officer friend of mine. He told me if he finds ANY weapon on a convicted felon, he's going to be taken into custody and put in a cell, no weapons, means no weapons..period. There were several more officers standing in the general area when I asked him and others didn't put it so nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ezbite1
ezbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
freyedknot
useless poster

as ez stated it may be confiscated and the person charged for having a gun in his posession. but you do not need to fill out the background check to buy it and they can be baught thru the mail from any catalogue shipping store.
freyedknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
jeffmo
officially unofficial!!!!

i know of a person who was convicted of a felony(some what of a bogus deal) and the only weapon he is allowed to own and use is a muzzleloader.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
Bassnpro1
OSU outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to Bassnpro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickerCrazy View Post
I'd like to see them have a REAL primitive weapons season, Not a high powered rifle season.

I'd be fine if the early muzzleloader season was changed to a primitive weapons seasons as that was the original intention for those few days in the three select areas. But other than that I love my Encore!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
Huntinbull

Send a message via AIM to Huntinbull Send a message via Yahoo to Huntinbull

It is my understanding that anythng that can propel or project a projectile ( ie bows, crossbows, muzzleloaders, BB guns, firearms) is illegal for a felon to own under the weapons under disabilities act. Friend of mine bounced a check worth enough to make it a felony. He later got busted hunting with his crossbow and did time for it.

Huntinbull

www.I-Train-CCW.com

Christian Outdoorsman. Enjoying the glory God has made and sharing my faith in the Lord.

Romans 8:31
Huntinbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
Rednek
"The Widow's Son"

Muzzleloaders are not considered a firearm under the Gun Control Act of 1968 and therefore felons are allowed to own and possess them.

There are however certain states with Game Laws that prohibit felons from hunting with a muzzleloader but Ohio is not one of those states. Nebraska is one of those states that have Game laws that prohibit felons from hunting with a muzzleloader.

www.rednekoutfitters.com
Rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbite View Post
I Asked this question to a police officer friend of mine. He told me if he finds ANY weapon on a convicted felon, he's going to be taken into custody and put in a cell, no weapons, means no weapons..period. There were several more officers standing in the general area when I asked him and others didn't put it so nicely.
I also know someone the just got a felony,he was told by his PO that he could not own or be around anything with a trigger!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickerCrazy

I wouldn't.

As long as you still pour the powder down the barrel and shove home a bullet I'm fine with it.

Or we could have a season for single shot shotguns only, or pumps, or a bow season for recurves and long bows only, or maybe compounds but shot with fingers only no releases, how about a bow season for bows with just wheels no cams allowed.

We live in a world where hunters need to support each other no matter what weapon they choose to to hunt with. This idea reminds me of the same old crossbow versus longbow debate that has been raging since crossbows were first legalized back in the 70's. I agree with Lundy on this one too.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote