Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Lake Erie Fishing Reports >

Canadian Crossing update

Lake Erie Weather | Lake Erie Wave Forcasts & Temps| Free Maps & Charts| Lake Erie Lake Cams| Charter Captains| Marinas & Dealers| Lodging

this forum is sponsored by: South Shore Marine

Old 03-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
ezmarc

Default Canadian Crossing update

18 brave souls said the Hell with the weather and came to the meeting last night. It was very informative!

The gist is that if you as a sport fisherman plan on fishing Canadian water that you would be well served to buy a passport card or passport and an I68 form for yourself and for those that go with you routinely. Without an I68 form you will need to find and use a video phone to call in after each trip. An I68 will allow you to simply call in. More precise info is on our Denied webpage and info from both the Charter Boat Association and our club meeting is there. Also look for Sea Grant to have something on there website as well.

One interesting note was that there will be 35 new agents where in the past there was only one.

We plan on scanning all the info we received and to make it available on a permanent web page. I'll let you know when we have it up but it will probably be a few days so we can double check with the BP office to make sure it's accurate.

Lundy was there after making a white knuckle drive from Columbus. He also has the info so OGF will probably also post it.

more info here: http://westernbasinsportfishingassoc...ed/report.html
ezmarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Eriefeelin

I read all the info on your Denied site. I don't think I want to go through all the trouble to fish their waters. I'll stick to the American side. Sounds like a major deal for the charter captains to make those trips over there. Gone are the days where the charter boat captains would pay money up front for a book of Canadian licenses and sell you one on the spot.
Eriefeelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
bassmaniac
Fish now, sleep later

Not to contradict what you have posted, but the information I have read from a gentleman by the name of Terry Ruff, he is in the Customs and Border Protection office in Port Huron, Michigan. Fishing vessels that do not touch Canadian land have free egress, are treated as not leaving the U.S. water. However if a vessel anchors in Canadian water, ties up to another vessel at a Canadian port or otherwise docks in Canada must report upon return. Also any vessel over 31' in length must report also.

Tery Ruff
Chief A-TCET
US Department of Homeland Security
US Customs and Border Protection
2321 Pine Grove Avenue
Port Huron, MI 48060
(810)985-9541
terry.ruff@dhs.gov

I'm sure he won't mind being contacted if there are any further questions. Hopefully this will help.
bassmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
hunt-n-fish

Default Thats what we thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmaniac View Post
Not to contradict what you have posted, but the information I have read from a gentleman by the name of Terry Ruff, he is in the Customs and Border Protection office in Port Huron, Michigan. Fishing vessels that do not touch Canadian land have free egress, are treated as not leaving the U.S. water. However if a vessel anchors in Canadian water, ties up to another vessel at a Canadian port or otherwise docks in Canada must report upon return. Also any vessel over 31' in length must report also.

Tery Ruff
Chief A-TCET
US Department of Homeland Security
US Customs and Border Protection
2321 Pine Grove Avenue
Port Huron, MI 48060
(810)985-9541
terry.ruff@dhs.gov

I'm sure he won't mind being contacted if there are any further questions. Hopefully this will help.

That's what everyone thought last Saturday at the captains conference. The guys from Cleveland are telling us different. I think it's more along the lines of how "he" want's to do it. He was just the one guy who happens to be the acting supervisor at they CI & BP office. They're (He) saying that if a boat just drifts and not make land, but trolls or casts a linefish, then you MUST check back in just like you made land.
hunt-n-fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
ezmarc

People can spin this any way they want but there will be over 30 officers out there this year and they will enforce the laws as stated above. You may get lucky and not be checked but with 35 new officers your odds just went way down!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
FreeByrdSteve

Default Different offices will enforce it differently

The meeting that EZMARC set up for the WBSA was real specific to how the people in charge of enforcing the border between the Ohio waters and Ontario waters of Lake Erie.

The bottom line is if you plan to fish in Ontario waters of Lake Erie this year and return to Ohio waters, the easiest way to do this is get the I-68 form and then all you need to do is make a phone call. Anyone that doesn't have an I68 form will need to check in at a video phone or in person with an officer.

Things were enforced (or not enforced) much differently IN THE PAST. The point is this is how it is going to be enforced THIS YEAR. The info is here for you to do what you wish.

Good Luck and COME ON SPRING

Last edited by FreeByrdSteve; 03-06-2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: .
FreeByrdSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
neffy85

I can't seem to open the link. Is anyone esle having this problem?
neffy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
ezmarc

Yeah the whole WBSA site is down. Looks like another hour long call to our web host is due.