Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

sandusky river walleye run

Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
mbw1924
mbw1924

Default sandusky river walleye run

i know the maumee is the best, but i have heard the sandusky is pretty good in some places. if anyone has had luck there i would appreciate some locations that are good. not looking for you honey hole, just a general area. im looking to shorten the drive from canton.
mbw1924 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
fowltalk
Banned

i pick off a few every year....u want to be between the 2 bridges in downtown Fremont of course. i like wading the west side of the river, about the middle.....seems i catch a couple-three when there.
its prolly gonna start real quick like with this recent rain & melt off.
fowltalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Fishpro
Northcoast Madman

If you are coming all the way from Canton, you might as well go to Maumee. Its only about 20 more miutes up rt. 20. If you do go to Fremont though, the area between the bridges is going to be your best bet for wading.
Fishpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
CoolWater
Multi-Species Fanatic

Yep, I agree, coming that far just go all the way to Maumee - much better fishing in that river over the Sandusky. In fact when I lived in Fremont I would still drive to the Maumee. The Maumee has many different stretches to fish so I understand why you were asking about a reference point to start trying your luck on the Sandusky... the Sandusky, however, is not the same and really the only fishable section is pretty much just the "downtown" area. if you want to try the Sandusky River... just go to downtown and park... you'll see the bridges the others have mentioned - fish that area...
Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
lyman68

I've lived in fremont almost fourty years.Don't bother coming here especialy if you are catching fish in the maumee.There is maybe a 1/2 mile of fishable river here. and all of that is a rip rap strewn mess. Its only waste deep. There are odnr on rooftops with high power lenses This will tell you how bad it is. About six or seven years ago when i first saw floatig jigs on the maumee, iwent to the local bait store and asked for floating jig heads thinking they might work in the sandusky. Someone said hey this guys actually gonna try to cath them! There was a round of laughs from the peanut gallery around the store! Its a try to snag them in the head ,and not get caught festival
lyman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
mbw1924
mbw1924

thanks guys. i like the maumee, but my friends wanted me to check out the sandusky. i never knew it was that much closer, i never looked at a map and assumed it was closer to sandusky.

my friends and i ususally come up on a friday evening fish, stay the night and fish saturday morning. i think we are going to head up on a thrusday night and stay til saturday this year.

might give it a try on the weekend of the 20th. ill be keeping an eye on here for any updates.
mbw1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
ezbite
the Susan Lucci of OGF

years ago we used to drive to fremont from warren and fish for a few hours get our limit (jigging the legal way) get a room, clean our fish, get drunk, get up the next morning, get another limit and go home. make a weekend of it. after about 10 years of this we started going to the maumee because of all the hassle from the odnr, crowding at fremont and seemed like our limits started to shrink. that last year we went to fremont nobody pulled a limit. we always fished between the bridges and sometimes on the northeast side of the main road bridge where the river splits. towards the end the odnr got so bad that any fish we caught they came over and inspected it. they always took a scale, but did an inspection looking for snag marks too. if we ever caught any with any snags we always released them anyhow. i havent been to maumee in a few years now but, it will be worth it to drive the etra 20 mins to the maumee. im not bashing fremont, it's just not for us anymore. oh, we still hit the VFW on the way thur if you go to fremont, waders are not needed, just fish in the rocks on the east side of the river. ive seen many quick limits pulled off those rocks while i was struggling to keep my balance in the river, fishless i might add

http://www.youtube.com/user/ezbite1
ezbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
jray

i like under the railroad bridge where the river splits dont have to wade or cast between boats there but always go very early in the year like when they first get in the river cause youll get some limits then but the rest of the time its just snagging in the right end in my opinion there are lots of fish in the river but they dont seem to bite very well so there is good fishing there just find a narrow spot in the river and cast alot until you find a hungry one and i saw alot of big fish last year and 2 15 lbers caught by the same guy go figure dont overlook the sandusky it can still produce good fishing just my 2 cents
jray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
B Thomas

Send a message via AIM to B Thomas

save the time and headache, fish the reefs and you wont go back to the Rivers
Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Bling

I'd like to know how fast you guys drive. There is no way you could make it from the Sandusky river to the Maumee in 20 minutes. Give yourself more like 30-40.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
BFG

Quote:
There is no way you could make it from the Sandusky river to the Maumee in 20 minutes
26 miles by my count...I live in Woodville...half way between both....

Slow down in Woodville though...oh wait...go ahead and burn right on through...

I've never felt safe fishing at Fremont. Ever...not when I was a kid, not as an adult....there is an element of this world that only exists during springtime down there...and it scares the living hell out of me.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
backagainbaha
Walleye Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Thomas View Post
I concur . Limit everytime for the last 2 years running when I hit the reefs.
backagainbaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
jojopro

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Thomas View Post
Where's your sense of adventure!?! You have all Summer and Fall to catch eyes from a boat, Spring is the time for wading for eyes! If you're not wading the rivers you're missing out on a lot of fun; getting your waders snagged by dum basses, constantly untangling with your neighbors, and losing a dozen jigs a day! Seriously though, I LOVE fishing the Maumee River walleye run! It's a fishing experience unlike any other! After all, it's the only way to get any fight out of a walleye (since you're reeling it in against the current).
Old 03-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
yonderfishin

Are there really reefs ? Like the ones in the ocean. I have seen people mention reefs on here about lake erie and I think salt water. What and where are the reefs in lake erie?
yonderfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
jojopro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonderfishin View Post
Are there really reefs ? Like the ones in the ocean. I have seen people mention reefs on here about lake erie and I think salt water. What and where are the reefs in lake erie?
Yes there are lots of Man Made reefs in Lake Erie, and they are spread out all over the place. This site http://www.lakeeriesportfishing.com/western_basin.html gives GPS coordinates of all of Lake Erie's reefs. I have heard that only about 10% of the Erie walleye population spawns in the rivers, whereas the other 90% spawn in the lake, mainly on its reefs.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #16
Recondo37
a member

this is the best for maumee river, might help...maumeetackle.net..it gives daily updates and everything...
Recondo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #17
Recondo37
a member

Default sandusky river walleye run

use this site for a maumee trip: maumeetackle.net........it give all information you need. hit the maumee 3rd week last march and was skunked. will be there 5-9 april. still i check it at least twice a week. good luck..
Recondo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #18
B Thomas

Send a message via AIM to B Thomas

Been there done it JoJo, we got fish every time but its just not my type of fishing.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #19
Hook N Book
The Original Hot Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonderfishin View Post
Yes they are really reefs...just not of the ocean variety. Me don't think you'll find any coral on the Erie reefs...!

Good Luck and be Safe...See Ya!
Hook N Book is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:33 AM   #20
CoolWater
Multi-Species Fanatic

Zebra Mussels = Lake Erie Coral