Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Discuss your favorite species! > Panfish Discussions >

White bass

Old 03-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
Star1pup

Default White bass

Anyone fish for white bass? They're a fun fish to catch.
Star1pup is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 03-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
zoar

Fish for them around the Ashtabula wall in the summer. Just look for the seagulls. The action is unbelievable when you get into them.
zoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Smallmouth70

Send a message via AIM to Smallmouth70

I fish for them in the Mahoning River once they start running. Like Zoar said, the action is great when you find them. You can catch them on just about every cast and they put up a great fight on an ultra-light rod.
Smallmouth70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Star1pup

Once in a while I hit them on Atwood and they are a loit of fun!
Star1pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
RiverRunner88

Send a message via AIM to RiverRunner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star1pup View Post
Anyone fish for white bass? They're a fun fish to catch.
yep they are fun catch em on cranks in the summer
Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Fish On

anyone know when the white bass spawn ??

Last edited by Fish On; 04-16-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Fish On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
JimmyZ

They usually hit the maumee river starting in may thru june. It's some of the best fishing u can ever experience. One year I used a 1/8 oz jig and twister tail and caught a fish on every single cast for 2 hours. It was great fun on a ultra light.
JimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
KWILSON512

Send a message via AIM to KWILSON512

JIMMYZ has it right. I fish the Fremont area of the sandusky river and catch them with every cast. I use a 1/8 ounce jig either silver or white with a 2"
white twister tail. For more fish I use shiners in place of the twister tails but have found htat generally speaking I catch bigger white bass on the twister tails. I'll catch 300-400 in a weeked no problem. You can also use small white and silver rooster tails to entice a bite when they stop biting but its a blast and a good way to introduce kids to fishing also.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
Daveo76

Nothing much more to say.everyone has it covered but they are fun to catch.Some days they,ll hit everything you use. I had a rod rigged with a 1/8 oz white buzz bait last spring and took my grandson to the Ohio River and he wanted to use that rod so he caught them on that!! A great way to use those lures that have been in the box and neverbeen used
Daveo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:17 AM   #10
ezbite
the Susan Lucci of OGF

i fish them in the spring at mosquito and every now and then a nice big pike hits my yellow roostertail. sometimes i even land it

http://www.youtube.com/user/ezbite1
ezbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:35 AM   #11
Columbus Angler

Dude, I catch White bass all spring with, ultra light tackle. 4ft. shakespear agility rod+ reel, 4 pound spider wire mono. You havent caught white bass until you caught them like that. best fishin ever when you need your wife to put icey hot on your shoulder after rippen lipps all day! alem creek secret location message for detail's: white bass&crappie.

Last edited by Columbus Angler; 01-26-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Columbus Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Tiny Tim

Send a message via Yahoo to Tiny Tim

We catch em out of Salt Fork in the Spring and Fall. In the fall we hunt them to help find the Saugeyes. If you find a huge school vertical jigging Vibes after a while you start getting the Eyes.Until you thin out the Whites the Eyes dont have a chance to get your bait. Those things are eating machines!! They are great to get into anytime!!
Old 01-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #13
Trophy Hunter

One of my fishing buddies fills his freezer full of white bass fillets for him and his wife to eat. He'll only take them for the table from Brookville though. They seem to pick up pollutants in dirty water more readily than other fish I hear. I've never tried them myself. I hear they're delicious if you fillet out the red meat.
Trophy Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #14
Tiny Tim

I have an older man ( 84 ) that I take a lot Whites to in the fall. He makes sure he cleans all the red meat out also.He tries to get me to bring him all we catch but that would be way too many. Most of the time I make sure he gets 12-15 big ones a trip and by the time they quit hitting he has enough to last him all winter.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #15
Fishaholic69
Fly Fishing Addict

try catching one on a fly rod with a minnow imitation! bet it would be a blast!!!! I can't wait for the summer! I got lots of minnow imitations for lake erie. I am gonna try to catch some on my boat. never fly fished off it before but I got a feeling you will get alot of white bass by the break walls! plus they are top water more than deep on the lake so you can get away with a floating line and weighted minnow.
3. Fishaholic69 loves Fly Fishing and Beer! its tasty
4. I am the co-owner of the Great Lakes Fishing Forum
Fishaholic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:14 AM   #16
Eriesteamer
BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

Send a message via MSN to Eriesteamer
Default White Bas my Azz

I know where on Erie where i can get them like the peaching thing.2 or 3 at a time.uck. I throw them back. there crap. carp are better eating.any time any day you want them get hold me and we go fill you freezer up to the hilt.I use to use them for fertalizer my garden.lot lime in them plus.there so small hard clean. if you do as you say whats left to eat. with all the other good fish out there why eat that crap.I get lot steelhead and walleyes out there.use to catch a dozen or so these white bass and use for bait to troll for walleyes.it worked like a charm.
Eriesteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #17
BradU20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriesteamer View Post
I know where on Erie where i can get them like the peaching thing.2 or 3 at a time.uck. I throw them back. there crap. carp are better eating.any time any day you want them get hold me and we go fill you freezer up to the hilt.I use to use them for fertalizer my garden.lot lime in them plus.there so small hard clean. if you do as you say whats left to eat. with all the other good fish out there why eat that crap.I get lot steelhead and walleyes out there.use to catch a dozen or so these white bass and use for bait to troll for walleyes.it worked like a charm.
Too small to clean? Use for walleye bait?
You may be mistaking white perch for white bass....
BradU20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #18
Eriesteamer
BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

Send a message via MSN to Eriesteamer
Default Just maybe

You might be rite on the white perch and white bass.I was told both are not top line.any ways these I caught taste like cat fish. muddy tasting.uck.
Do white bass taste like small or big mouth bass as these to I catch lots of and are OK.But back to bass I catch lots walleyes and the rest thus why bother the small bass. one walleyes got 4 times them meat then white bass as I believe they never get very big.I am not a bass man by the way.perching Erie is the smallest fish I care catch and eat. the rest are taboo.if I go with others I let them have all fish I catch less a big walleye.let me know if white bass are same taste as big mouths.I use to get lot them in a private lake.and know what they taste like
Eriesteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #19
Tiny Tim

The White bass I am talking about look like the White perch that Erie is full of. The ones we get are a lot bigger than the perch,they avg.14-16 in. I dont know how they compair to Largemouth tho,I quit eating those a long time ago!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #20
ledslinger

between may 15 and june 15 they collect in the detroit river---i usually charter a guy from michigan to fish this with my daughter---it was non stop catching---i was on a flyrod with a light clouser and my daughter was using a spinning rod with a buzz bait----fish a splash count and its a rare thing to go 10 ft without a hit---at the end of the day we were alone and had a 2 hr blitz on the surface around our boat---some approached 16"----

we had them blitzing around my boat by the lighthouse in lorain but all we did then is cast a walleye lure (weapon or wt forward spinner) and crank as fast as you can as soon as it hits the water---we got about 30 that afternoon

i ate some out of dale hollow lake a long time ago and didnt like them---and the ones that we froze and ate later were even worse---never tried to eat them again
ledslinger is offline   Reply With Quote