Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports >

Hello New to the Forum.Oxbow lagoon Rocky River?

Old 07-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Janus

Default Hello New to the Forum.Oxbow lagoon Rocky River?

Hello,
I've really been enjoying reading the forum and finally decided to post. A friend and I were driving on Valley Parkway along the Rocky River. We stopped at the Oxbow picnic area and fished a lagoon there, I've heard it called the Rocky River Lagoon, also the North Olmstead Lagoon, and the Oxbow Lagoon. Anyways it was alot of fun to fish although a bit challenging. We caught about 10 bluegill and a small carp. The amount of vegitation and brush in the lagoon gives me the feeling that there are bigger fish in there. It's and ideal largemouth enviornment. I tried all my lures that would attract them. You have to go pretty weedless there because the vegitation is about 6inch below the surface. Anyways no luck. But I was wondering if anyone has fished there and can give some tips or just tell me there is nothing in there..I was fishing texas rigged plastic worms to get to the bottom I felt machine gun bites but couldn't set the hook making me think it might have been bluegills...hmmm. I'm becoming obsessed with the place and I was just saying hello to you all and seeing if anyone has fished it with any luck landing bigger bass (or anything really).
Thanks,
Janus
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 07-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
liquidsoap
Pay-it-foward fisherman

Well one thing oxbow does have is a big carp population. I dont fish it often but I have caught smallies there just really small. Try venturing down the river, theres plenty of great shore access that IMO will hold better and bigger fish then the Lagoon. Good luck....
liquidsoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
laurajb

Hi Janus, welcome to the site. Enjoy
laurajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
soroker74

I have fished there a couple of times and never any luck. You seem to get better luck than I did. It is very challengeing I never caught anything there, and have only seen fish, never even a bite.

Later,
soroker74

If I aint fishin........I aint havin fun
soroker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
WB185Ranger
Gotta Love Odie!

Welcome Janus! WB
WB185Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Janus

Thanks for the tips, and the welcomes. I'll walk the river next week and check it out. There is a weird section of the river, by the lagoon, where it branches to a Y with an island in the middle. Gonna check it out. I'm just drawn to the odd places to fish. My daughter an I walked this small lake called Bunn's lake and it was beautiful not sure if it holds any fish but the vegitation was thick throughout the whole lake...I'll report back if anything exciting happens.
thanks,
Brian
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote