Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Lake Erie Fishing Reports > Lake Erie General Discussions >

Need a Lake Erie perching anchor

Old 10-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
ohiojmj

Default Need a Lake Erie perching anchor

Can someone recommend a decent anchor for perching on Lake Erie with a Lowe FM175 (95" wide, 17' long aluminum walkthrough). My current anchor gives me trouble when there is more than 2' chop. I have 150' of rope and 4' of heavy chain. I'm looking for something that won't break my middle aged back. I've also thought about adding 4' more chain on rough days. I'm usually in 30' to 50' of water. I think the clay gives me trouble. Thanks.

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
ParmaBass
Kiss The Converse

Water Spike. Gander sells them, lightweight and they work well!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
ParmaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
viper1

Default Well

We use a Danforth anchor. Lightweight and holds pretty well. Use a good length of heavy chain will help. THey claim 1/2 length of your boat. But haven't seen many who do that much. We use 150 ft rope and added a 1/4 inch vinyl coated chain about 6-8 foot.
viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Misdirection

Put an anchor swivel between your anchor and chain. This will add weight to the front of the anchor and help it set.

Misdirection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
viper1

Default well

Never heard of one. But with any luck ill have a minn kota anchor lock next year.!
Of not i'll surely check it out! Thank you
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
highstickn

I use a 9lb Delta, similar boat and conditions and have never had a problem. Length of anchor line, 2x water depth on quiet days and 3-4 times when it is rough and windy. And extra line just in case.
http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?id=8743&lid=23571
highstickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
Khersh88

I have a slip ring anchor I got off bass proshop website for like 20$ it weighs like 5 or 8 # and holds really good. Follow manufactures instructions on 5' of 1/4" chain. More or less I have read bad reviews. Mine holds like a rock tho, with 5' of 1/4" chain.
Khersh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
reo

I have a danforth style with 5-6 feet of chain on my 18' lund. Never had a problem. I do have to let ot out slowly so it does not foul on the way down.
reo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
jimski2

It is not the weight of the anchor that holds bottom better, a light anchor will increase your search for perch as you will pull it more often to find the perch. You do not need chain or anything else, just use enough line to receive the proper pulling angle on the flukes of the anchor. The minimum angle on the anchor should be three times the depth plus the distance above water that your tiedown adds. Seven times the depth is the maximum angle used. For anchor line, use 3/8 inch poly line as it is lightweight, drys fast, takes up less room in your boat and you can pull it easily on your hands. it floats and is easy to splice. Keep things simple but the amount of line used will prevent some unhappy meet and greets with neighboring boats that are into the middle of a good school of perch and your lines are snagged on their anchor lines.
jimski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
boatnut

I have to respectfully disagree with using poly. the mere fact that it floats would tend to work against adding to horizontal pull. Also , poly has no stretch which can increase stress on your deck hardware. The chain is helpful in adding horizontal pull as well.

The best anchor is a minnkota terrova with "spot lock". you can anchor at a touch of a button! worth it's weight in gold!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
KaGee
Rediculous Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with using poly. the mere fact that it floats would tend to work against adding to horizontal pull. Also , poly has no stretch which can increase stress on your deck hardware. The chain is helpful in adding horizontal pull as well.
I agree totally.

Quote:
The best anchor is a minnkota terrova with "spot lock". you can anchor at a touch of a button! worth it's weight in gold!
I'm sure, but not all of us are independently wealthy!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
CarpetBagger
Mr. OGF

Best thing i can recomend is driving up to your anchor, or getting an anchor ball...You wouldnt believe how great those things work for $100...

Windlass on my boat now, but another method ive used on boats before was just drive up over the anchor and tie it off and let the weight of the boat and wave surge pull it loose from the muck...

Chain in my opinion isnt 100% necessary in Lake Erie, but it does help. Ive anchored many many times in my old 22' Trophy with 13lb anchor and 150ft of rope...A good anchor though is a must...

http://www.CarpetbaggerCharters.com

THE BEAST IN THE EAST
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Hooch
Fare Thee Well!

Default Anchor Ball +1

Carpetbagger hit it on the head! An anchor ball! I have one and it's one of the BEST investments I've made for my boat, bar none! It's a little tricky to get the hang of, but it works and will float the anchor right off the bottom and all you do is pull in the rope and float with anchor attached! It's not good for fishing in tight packs, however, as you do need some room to drive the boat to get the float down to the anchor.
Hooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
CarpetBagger
Mr. OGF

In response to the fishing in tight packs with anchor ball...Obviously youve never fished around Conneaut...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
Carpetbagger hit it on the head! An anchor ball! I have one and it's one of the BEST investments I've made for my boat, bar none! It's a little tricky to get the hang of, but it works and will float the anchor right off the bottom and all you do is pull in the rope and float with anchor attached! It's not good for fishing in tight packs, however, as you do need some room to drive the boat to get the float down to the anchor.

http://www.CarpetbaggerCharters.com

THE BEAST IN THE EAST
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
viper1

Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaGee View Post
I agree totally.

I'm sure, but not all of us are independently wealthy!
KaGee if your talking about me you surely don't know much about me or my condition. Lost my really nice 401 k to the government and the internet. Got disable and now live totally on disability from Social security. Which is very little. Main reason we grow and make most our own foods and try to cut corners HARD!
On the other hand I quit smoking, drinking and any other foolish (in my opinion) wastes of money. Even down to cutting my own hair and my two poodles. But what we got we spend wisely now!
I learned a while back that the more money you earn the more you're likely to waste. And when I made 80,000. or better a year i did too.
My fishing is about all I can really do and enjoy. Had t give up walking. So my boat is my bad habit. And to get that motor will require a lot of payments or saving. But don't be fooled Im not filthy rich. LOL! Im dirt poor and living a simple life. Which I have come to love and finally be fulfilled. One thing money never done for me.
Actually from what I know and see from the wealth or well off i really feel bad for them.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
viper1

Default Well

Seen tons of them this year at Conny. A lot in the packs, and don't take much more room to pull i've seen. In the pack there's always some jerk trying to get so close he's either in your boat or over your anchor line. I always approach into the wind and off to the side of another boat if anchoring. Just common sense I think. If you drift your not going to be in their way. But not many seems to worry about it. Had one so close this year I could have wacked him in the face with my fishing pool. And had really started to think about it. He was taking sandwiches from his coolor and looked at me and said you guys want some. LOL! Then proceeded to pull ahead and pull anchor. Made me feel like a jerk. Glad I didnt open my mouth. LOL! Had thought of one but the ball seemed pretty expensive when I priced them.
Well one of our fishing buddies showed up to perch with us brought me his. It!s the ring and harness but he has a 1 gallon bleach jug tied to it. kind of took me back. I asked if it floated his and he said sure. It will float your weight too! So I don't know. Anyone ever use a plastic jug!
He also said he has a minn kota with auto pilot he took off his 20 ft boat before selling and asked if Id be interested. Has the foot peddle,chargers.breakers,mount,remote nd all. But don't know what model trust or type. Said he'd let me know. I may get lucky.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
Slatebar

Viper1,, depending the model Minn Kota your friend has, that may be a good route to go and save some on a ipilot system.. Minn kota makes an upgrade system for some models and it may be worth checking. Also keep an eye on the trolling motor classified at bass boat centeral, you may get a good deal there .. ,,, http://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/cat...a-i-Pilot.html

Last edited by Slatebar; 10-10-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Slatebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
viper1

Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slatebar View Post
Viper1,, depending the model Minn Kota your friend has, that may be a good route to go and save some on a ipilot system.. Minn kota makes an upgrade system for some models and it may be worth checking. Also keep an eye on the trolling motor classified at bass boat centeral, you may get a good deal there .. ,,, http://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/cat...a-i-Pilot.html
He claims it already has a remote and auto pilot. Just waiting to see. But yes, i was looking use to.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
Shortdrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParmaBass View Post
Water Spike. Gander sells them, lightweight and they work well!

Ditto and whats great about the Water Spike is it will disassemble for storage in about 15 seconds.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
jimski2

69 Years old, back surgery, two rotator cuff surgerys, steel knee now, has me pulling the lightest anchor, anchor line by pulling up to get the anchor "up and down" and taking a turn on the cleat and powering the anchor free of the muck. I "get the job done" a dozen times every trip out on the pond. I do not fret over the weight of the hook and paraphanalia to overdo the job. The price of the winches and GPS trolling position motors along with the battery weight and charging systems will pay for my gasoline till the day I can not fish anymore.
jimski2 is offline   Reply With Quote