Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Central Ohio Fishing Reports >

Bank Fishing

Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Illyoung

Default Bank Fishing

I looking for the hot spots for "The Boat-less Angler" I mainly fish Hoover and Alum. But I have hit griggs a few times this year. But just looking for some tips where I wouldnt find on my own. Thanks in advance! All tips shall be credited with updates and pics of the fish.
Illyoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
650x2

The most fun you can have as a boat-less angler is wading. Go by yourself some cheap waders at Dicks and give it a try.

The small mouth in the rivers/creeks are nothing like you will catch on shore. Plus it brings a new meaning to peaceful when you are wade fishing down a river and not a soul is in sight.

All that said, if you going to fish from banks stick to the ponds. Some of the best ponds are around businesses/apartment complexes because no one fishes them and they are stocked to keep the bugs down.
650x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
JPH
Misplaced Minnesotan

650X2 do you need permission to fish those ponds?
JPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Dovans

I have to concur with getting some waders. I would not get the rubber ones though. They are heavy. I got mine at Bass Pro and paid $110. Must be careful wading though. Drop offs, holes and such can be bad. Rocks are slippery in rivers, current plays tricks on your balance.. Went to the Scioto wading and it was blast. Went to the other side, where most people cant get too.
Dovans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
650x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
650X2 do you need permission to fish those ponds?
Some places have signs up that say "No Fishing" I stay away from those. But if they dont have signs or arnt gated areas I fish them. Never had anyone say anything. If someone were to tell me to leave I would. I never fishing during a business hours on a weekday because well I work and I never keep anything out of these ponds. I am strictly a catch and release guy, even if I wasn't I wouldn't keep out of those ponds.

I used to live in Glenmuir apartments in Dublin, near Sawmill/Billingsley. The whole apartment complex surrounded a pond. That thing was stocked like crazy. It was like cheating, Channel Catfish and Bass all night long on spinner baits. Ever since then I am always looking for a good business/apartment pond to fish lol.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Saugeye Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650x2 View Post
Some places have signs up that say "No Fishing" I stay away from those. But if they dont have signs or arnt gated areas I fish them. Never had anyone say anything. If someone were to tell me to leave I would. I never fishing during a business hours on a weekday because well I work and I never keep anything out of these ponds. I am strictly a catch and release guy, even if I wasn't I wouldn't keep out of those ponds.

I used to live in Glenmuir apartments in Dublin, near Sawmill/Billingsley. The whole apartment complex surrounded a pond. That thing was stocked like crazy. It was like cheating, Channel Catfish and Bass all night long on spinner baits. Ever since then I am always looking for a good business/apartment pond to fish lol.
Be careful, if posted or not you need premission if they are not public. Could get a tresspass ticket Tom
Saugeye Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
650x2

Yea i know. I just figure as long as I am not making a mess, am polite if approached, and not hitting the same pond 5 days a week I haven't had real issue.

Most will just tell you to leave before you will get a trespassing ticket.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
650x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovans View Post
I have to concur with getting some waders. I would not get the rubber ones though. They are heavy. I got mine at Bass Pro and paid $110. Must be careful wading though. Drop offs, holes and such can be bad. Rocks are slippery in rivers, current plays tricks on your balance.. Went to the Scioto wading and it was blast. Went to the other side, where most people cant get too.
Also I just wanted to say if buying the cheap rubber waders at Dicks is what gets you to try it you definitely should. They are like $20 bucks and will keep you dry. I can't afford to try something for $110.

Dovans you should try Big Darby near Plain City. You could wade for miles and not see another person.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Dovans

I understand your point. I am also talking about chest waders, not the hip waders. Might find waders used as well on Craigslist, or maybe even OGF's own marketplace. I strongly believe whether you get the less expensive rubber or the ones I got, (Neoprene) they will be well worth it.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Saugeyefisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyoung View Post
I looking for the hot spots for "The Boat-less Angler" I mainly fish Hoover and Alum. But I have hit griggs a few times this year. But just looking for some tips where I wouldnt find on my own. Thanks in advance! All tips shall be credited with updates and pics of the fish.
Keep hitting hoover and alum. This time of yr everthing that swims in both lake can be caught from shore.
Im not boatless but do ALOT of shore fishing. I would get some 2 and 3 inch twisters in white or chartruse and put them on a 1/16 or 1/8 oz. head and start walking the banks. Change ur retreives and stay at it. You wond catch them all in one day but you will learn the areas and lures the more you fish them.

and yea the creeks can be a blast those smallies are always fun!
Saugeyefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Dovans

along those lines <G>, I have been having great luck with 3 inch swim baits. Firetiger, and a greenish color shad. On same type of jig heads as mentioned earlier.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
brucey42085

if youre fishing alum anyway try the pond at the park office. ive caught some nice small bass and more bluegill than you can shake a stick at out of there. there isnt a ton of shoreline access and if you dont hit it in the spring it gets pretty weedy but if youre looking for an easy quick outting give it a try. theres also a little pond on lewis center, the entrance before the beach if youre going towards the dam on lewis center (i think its the boating club dock area), anyway, right inside the entrance you can park and walk a trail through the trees to it. you can see it on lewis center on the north side if you go past the entrance. again not a lot of shoreline access but ive pulled some bass out of there too.
brucey42085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #13
zack pahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650x2 View Post

I too used to live at Glenmuir, and know the glory of that pond! This isn't Tony, is it??
zack pahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
jjkc

I picked up neoprene waders at Meijer's for like 79.99 Well worth it in my opinion. I used to just wade without waders at all, but I'm glad I have a pair now.
jjkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
650x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack pahl View Post
I too used to live at Glenmuir, and know the glory of that pond! This isn't Tony, is it??
Zack whats up dude! We got to go fishing sometime.

I heard you were in the hospital, hope everything is cool now. If you still got my number hit me up. I live over in Hilliard now and am surrounded by apartment ponds and not to far from the Big Darby.

Last edited by 650x2; 04-25-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
Sampy67
Slab buster

Take your waders and go to Hoover, starting in May. Vertical jig, tipped with minnow, under a slip bobber, in heavy brush in coves. 3 foot of water. Alum is usually at least week behind, you can do the same there.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.
Sampy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
Illyoung

Thanks guys for all the info!!! I have been wanting to get some waders. I dont mind walking/hunting down fishing spots by going through the woods. I think those are the best spots and most people wont even try to go threw b/c its too heavy with weeds n such. Hope the weekend is nice. Im going regaurdless!!! lol
Illyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
zack pahl

[QUOTE=650x2;1405468]Zack whats up dude! We got to go fishing sometime.

I heard you were in the hospital, hope everything is cool now. If you still got my number hit me up. I live over in Hilliard now and am surrounded by apartment ponds and not to far from the Big Darby.[/QUOT

Haha I had a sneaking suspicion that was you! Considering that we were the only two who ever fished that pond, until of course, they sent us cease and desist letters! Anyway everything's all good, just a minor mishap at work. Still got your number and will hit you up as soon as the weather clears and we'll get back at it!
zack pahl is offline   Reply With Quote