Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

Metzger or ferguson?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
bonifas9017

Default Metzger or ferguson?

Planning on taken the boat out which one would be better.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
bonifas9017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 04-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
deskunkify

I cannot comment on either as far as the fishing goes...I was out at ferguson earlier this year. if you launch your boat from a trailer, both boat ramps are very primitive and the one at ferguson is very steep. good luck
deskunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Bowhunter57

bonifas9017,
I've caught more fish at Metzger, so I tend to fish it more...which isn't a fair assesment of Ferguson. I've caught good fish at Ferguson, but always on the west and south banks and around the cattails on the east bank.

The only bank that I've not caught fish, in Metzger is the southwest corner and I'm not sure why. It seems like anything south of the pump house and going east along the south bank for about 300 yards, seems to be a dead zone.

I troll when I fish Metzger and most of Ferguson and seem to have my best luck in 10' to 16' of water, while paralleling the bank. Right out in the middle of Metzger you can catch white bass, in the warmer months.

I agree with deskunkify, about the boat ramps. A 4x4 would be best, due to the steep banks and loose gravel. I use a kayak, so it doesn't effect me.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Bowhunter57
Bowhunter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
dreamstalker

Default ferg/Met

Ferguson Is by far the better of the two. The boat ramp is tricky/dangerous. Make sure to leave your front tires chalked at the top. there is a cement curb there to do so. The ramp itself is just ground and small ground up stone. When the water is low, you should launch only if you can lift your boat off the trailer at the bottom. If you reverse your vehicle past the curb, you could as many have discovered, your inna real pickle. The angle of the ramp vs the ground style base is not conducive to an easy safe procedure.
Metzger ramp is not a walk in the park either. The ramp runs alongside the bank and angles down. The gravel is softball sized and ground stone mixed. If your tires get into the softball gravel they will sink fast. Make sure you are lined up for a clear path that you check each time. I would rather chalk the curb than to fight Metzgers gravel.
dreamstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Bowhunter57

dreamstalker has good advise! The gravel is silly and should be replaced with concrete, for better/safer access.

Bowhunter57
Bowhunter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
unclebump2008

I have seen truck beds get wet trying to launch boats up there! I think that one was an old beat up Ranger. You hear lots of tire spinning up there.
unclebump2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
dreamstalker

Best they leave it alone...the technology to do things right has long since gone. They might want to ruin them with trout if it's too easy to get in.
dreamstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Spidey2721

we always carry the boat and "launch" by hand. i wear aquatic sandals for it so i can just step out in the water to launch the boat. we use a john boat for it there.
Spidey2721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
unclebump2008

ODNR guy told me that they wanted to put concrete boat launches and docks in at Matezger and Ferguson, but the city of Lima would not let them do it.
unclebump2008 is offline   Reply With Quote