Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > General Discussions > The Camp Fire >

Favorite Ohio Campground?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #61
BingeAndPurge

I like Lake Hope for the quiet and scenery. Have a lot of good memories there. Shame the old lodge burned down.

I'm still trying to find something here comparable to some of the places I went to in Colorado, though.
BingeAndPurge is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 02-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #62
DMinn Angler

For Fishing, I like the smaller campgrounds that have ponds.

If you want to know a great campground for the family, Clays park has something for everyone. Used to do our family reunions there till it was moved to WV
DMinn Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #63
rustyfish

We have had a camp lot on the ohio river every year most of my life and I love it, but we have hit a few lakes too. We used to go to saltfork as a kid and I really liked it. Paint creek is not to bad.

If you have kids Longs Retreat is nice. Small water park, gocarts, rock wall and stuff like that. The camping there is ok and the fishing in the small lake is nothing special but catching gills off of paddleboats or canoes is always fun. Its a good place to take your children or grandkids.
Single White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Flathead. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Do not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on creek chubs and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at the old scioto mill dam in Piketon. Ill be waiting
rustyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #64
ThunderHawk7

Default Since this is thread has been resurrected....

Piedmont Lake in the Spring and Fall!!! I also like the AEP grounds!
ThunderHawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #65
fishinjim

Had a blast at the jellystone campground off the mammoth cave exit in kentucky.
For Halloween weekends we like winton woods down near cinci.

We'll be checking out east harbor this July.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #66
mallorian

Aep and maumee bay top my list. Haven't actually camped at dillon since i was little but i always liked it back then.
mallorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #67
Bass-Chad

I have always loved going down to Salt Fork and camping in lot D? I think it is. I use the same spot every time but, for the life of my I cannot remember the lot letter or number.

2014 Fishing Season:
Lg Bass: 0
Sm Bass: 0
Trout: 1
Gills: 0
Crappie: 0
Catfish: 0
Carp: 0

Updated 05/04/14
Bass-Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #68
fishinaway

we enjoy east harbor state park, but we dont launch our boat there the bay gets so weed choked and we go down the road and launch boat right into good fishing i just cant remember the name of the public boat ramp. hillview acres campground is a private place just outside of saltfork sp great campgrounds and they have a couple catch and release pond that are fun for kids. oh yea and wolf run in noble county. but nothing in my opinion beats the free camping at aep.
fishinaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #69
carpslayer
You can't spool me!!

Im going to mosquito for memorial day for three nights... wanna do some catfishin, carpc gills for the kids.... if anyone has some spots they would share that would be much appreciated. Love to teach my son about the great outdoors!!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #70
Rivergetter

Carpslayer sent you a pm

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.
Rivergetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #71
carpslayer
You can't spool me!!

thanks Rivergetter!!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #72
billonthehill

Default anyone camp at countryside campground at mogadore?

camper is there now, not sure where to go.
all new to me.
billonthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #73
RebelWithACause122

When I was a kid, my family frequented a campground in Ashland County. When we first started going, it was called Sloan's Hickory Lakes Campground... at some point it changed to Smith's Hickory Lakes Campground... then when it changed ownership again, it was just called Hickory Lakes Campground (but the last time I was there was 10 years ago). The campground has 4 ponds, 3 of which are for fishing and 1 is designated for swimming (they maintain a sandy beach and control the weeds). It's located a little ways east of Fin Feather & Fur Outfitters... although back then, "the Fin" was a small fishing & hunting store in a little block building, not the giant that they are now (but they still crammed a LOT of selection into that tiny building they were in).

The campground is great for people who don't have boats. There is a LOT of shore access to the 3 fishing ponds, and one of the ponds is quite large... hard to guess from old memories, but probably somewhere around 5 acres maybe? All 3 ponds had great fishing... at least I thought so. When I was like 13, 14 years old, my dad was self-employed, and we would stay at the campground for 10 days at a time since he could work from there. I was the only one in my family that liked to fish. I got up in the morning and went out fishing... my parents only saw me at meal times when I came back to get something to eat. I worked the shorelines of all 3 ponds and caught many bass... some 2 to 3 pounds, which was quite large to me at the time.

This is much more of a trip down memory lane for me than a campground review, lol. I would love to go back and check that place out again. I remember there being a lot of permanent campers, I also remember shaded sites being fairly limited, which stuck us out in the sun on a few occasions that we arrived on a busy weekend. But most of all, I remember the bass fishing. Those were the ponds where I cut my teeth on several important bass lures: the purple worm, the bubble-gum slug-go, and the black Jitterbug. What could be more exciting to a 14 year-old than watching bass explode on that jitterbug in the evening just as it gets too dark to see? Those were the days... and that was the place.
RebelWithACause122 is offline   Reply With Quote