Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports >

findlay

Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #21
ress

If I remember right, it's at the water dept. on Blanchard. He says that the fish go into the pipe at the res and when they turn on the pump, see ya! At the res it's on the half wall that comes off the east side, if that makes since, or another words around the pump house thats on the se corner.
ress is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
leovpin
Avid Fish Intimidator

Selective harvest is the name of the game. The ODNR stocked about 70,000 walleyes in the small reservoir in 2004. The survival rate for one year is about 50%. SO say there are 35,000 walleyes from that stocking still around. If somebody takes say, 100 fish out of there per season, it takes 350 people to decimate that population. I know the numbers are very rough but I think it gives an idea of how we can have an impact on the fish numbers. I am not saying we should release everything but we should definitely not keep everything either. Today's 1 pounder is tomorrows 5 pounder. You can bash me now
leovpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #23
ohiobuck

18" size limit would help alot on that res.
ohiobuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #24
walkerdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat247 View Post
I hope the new 15" regs will help improve the walleye fishing, goes into effect next March for 16 Lakes & Reservoirs including Findlay, Indian, Ferguson, & Metzger.
Agreed 100%! Who the hell keeps them under 15 anyhow?
walkerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #25
9dodgefan

Was out at #2 from 9 to midnight on Sunday. Lots of little bites. Was able to land a 22" channel off of stink bait. We had 4 lines in the water and only got one fish. Hopefully the bite is slow because its a little early still.
9dodgefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #26
flagcityfisherman

Default Ne corner of res #2

Jigged off the bank for a few hours Wednesday from 8 p.m. till 10 p.m. I caught 11 walleyes, 2 nice size white bass and an average sized blue gill. Only two of the walleye were keepers though. Caught the larger ones after dark and closer to the bank. Heard a Father with his boys down around the corner having a 'hay day' themselves as the young boys were hooping it up every couple of minutes. Catching fish and asking Dad is he big enough. lol.

The highlite of the night happened right at dusk, as you know it was relatively calm and the water was super clear. I noticed a small chop making it's way down the shoreline (thought it was white bass or carp), as they passed me I caught a clear view of what appeared to be hundreds of fingerling perch. I couldn't believe the size of that school and the way they stayed right at the top of the water creating a small chop as they passed me. It was definitely an awesome site and only made better if we meet again in a few years.
flagcityfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #27
hazmat247
Fishin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerdog View Post
Agreed 100%! Who the hell keeps them under 15 anyhow?
Unfortunately I see people with buckets keeping anything & everything they catch. Last year I saw a group of 10-15 foreigners ( I assume since they were not speaking English) fish all day and keep everything they reeled in. I highly doubt they all had fishing licenses either, but these days anyone can get away with it since the DNR quit patrolling the reservoirs in Findlay.
hazmat247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #28
ress

Nice report Flagcity! I've got to get out there at dusk soon. Not too sure about the DNR not being at the res. The last 3 times I've been there they were on top doing bienock surveys, and a survey of bank fishermen about your feelings on proposed regulations and current regs. They have a new group of interns doing most of the work.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #29
luv2phish

Talking

Fished res#2 Thurs from 9-10pm,7 small eyes,8 whiteys from shore.Alot of fun. The next couple weeks should be good!
luv2phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #30
hazmat247
Fishin' Fool

Good to hear Ress, glad I might be wrong on that one I ran into the surveyers down @ Indian Lake, we had them inspect our boat and get the new sticker. Maybe the State found some $$, last I had read in the Courier (few years ago) the State had turned it over the the Sheriff's Dept. Thanks for the report luv2fish, might have to try and get out there this weekend.
hazmat247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #31
ufaquaoiler
Swims Like the Fishes

only had a little bit but tried #2 from 630-730ish casting crayfish along the shore for smallies but had no luck. i did see several bluegill follow and watched an 18 or so inch catfish come take a swing as i was getting close to finishing my cast, but it didnt wanna finish its meal. any size to the walleyes yet??? btw i was checked by the DNR ice fishing on #2 this year...they are out there from time to time.
ufaquaoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #32
yonderfishin

Im glad to see some fish are being caught , not so glad to see that some of what I call " poachers " are still catching and keeping everything they catch. There is a certain group of people that really make me mad since I see them down there quite often and they have no problem with keeping everything they catch no matter what the size. I also take offense to people saying they catch and take 30+ fish and they think there should be no problem with it. The Findlay reservoirs , which used to be known as a good fishery , are in the past couple years becoming overwhelmed. Yeah there are still some good fish to be caught out there and on a good day you can get lucky and bring home quite a few keepers but that dont mean there is no reason to be concerned about whats happening there. If you have a freezer full of fish then you are done , stay home and leave a few for somebody else , or release what you catch. Buying a fishing license dont authorize you to rape the community fishing hole. I have Sunday night off work and plan to be down there fishing if weather permits but I dont expect to catch much. What I do catch down there usually gets released so they may be caught again , unless I catch something with some size to it and I can have fish for dinner.
yonderfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #33
Redhunter1012

Myself and a couple buddies plan on being on the east shore tonight doing some casting. I'm the readhaired guy with the short red beard. Say hi if ya see me
Redhunter1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #34
walkerdog

I went out for 3 hours last night and never got bite. The carp are thick right now! Anyone know if you can bowfish out there?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #35
walkerdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat247 View Post
Unfortunately I see people with buckets keeping anything & everything they catch. Last year I saw a group of 10-15 foreigners ( I assume since they were not speaking English) fish all day and keep everything they reeled in. I highly doubt they all had fishing licenses either, but these days anyone can get away with it since the DNR quit patrolling the reservoirs in Findlay.
Glad i have never seen that. Id have a few choice words for those illegals!
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #36
Weekender#1

Come on guys the fishermen were probably from out of town, fishing for a few crappie and I would bet they had licenses. You want to bet there are game wardens out there, go and keep a undersized or take a beer with you out there you will be seeing some action.
Weekender#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #37
ufaquaoiler
Swims Like the Fishes

i THINK you can bowfish from a boat but not on shore. just make sure thats the case before ya go out and go have fun!
ufaquaoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #38
luv2phish

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonderfishin View Post
Im glad to see some fish are being caught , not so glad to see that some of what I call " poachers " are still catching and keeping everything they catch. There is a certain group of people that really make me mad since I see them down there quite often and they have no problem with keeping everything they catch no matter what the size. I also take offense to people saying they catch and take 30+ fish and they think there should be no problem with it. The Findlay reservoirs , which used to be known as a good fishery , are in the past couple years becoming overwhelmed. Yeah there are still some good fish to be caught out there and on a good day you can get lucky and bring home quite a few keepers but that dont mean there is no reason to be concerned about whats happening there. If you have a freezer full of fish then you are done , stay home and leave a few for somebody else , or release what you catch. Buying a fishing license dont authorize you to rape the community fishing hole. I have Sunday night off work and plan to be down there fishing if weather permits but I dont expect to catch much. What I do catch down there usually gets released so they may be caught again , unless I catch something with some size to it and I can have fish for dinner.
Agree 100%. Perch limit should be 25,same for crappie.
luv2phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #39
ress

Right now the LITTLE W/B are hitting anything that moves. All that I saw were 5" long. I tried a larger jig thinking that the bigger ones are under those small ones,,,, NOT.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #40
yonderfishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2phish View Post
Agree 100%. Perch limit should be 25,same for crappie.

I wouldnt mind seeing a limit of much less than that. 10 to 12 maybe. There are still enough fishermen/women to keep the population in check. I know what Im saying will be seen as ridiculous by a few but nearly all of us fish for sport , not to feed our families. The local reservoirs cant handle as much pressure as they get and thats why this conversation comes up from time to time. A limit of 10 or 12 per day will give everyone plenty of fish for dinner and avoid overharvest. There is no need to fill your freezer of fish out of the reservoir , that is what lake Erie is for. If everyone took only what they need , when they need it , there would be no problem. Feel free to disagree but there is an elephant in the living room that nobody wants to acknowledge.
yonderfishin is offline   Reply With Quote