Ohio Game Fishing

Go Back  Ohio Game Fishing Community > Ohio Fishing Reports > Central Ohio Fishing Reports >

white worms in meat of fish

Old 04-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
ccart58
Warreye Hunter

Default white worms in meat of fish

went to a farm pond yesterday caught lots of big bluegill I kept 5 nice slabs took them home and started cleaning them and found small white worms in all of them they was under the skin and imbeded down in the meat? never saw this before has anyone else? I sure wouldnt eat them, and I let the owners of the pond know about it, now the question is what they are and what to do about it?
ccart58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register today to remove this advertisement IT'S FREE

Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
partlyable

i have seen this before it is not that completely uncommon but i am sure some other people on here can help you with that exactly they are.
partlyable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Intracoastal

I can't respond directly to you question as I have never seen this with fish before. However, if you pour vinegar on pork they will come wiggling out. It could be the freshest pork and they're still there. They die when you cook the meat, but it doesn't make it any less creepy to think about when you're eating.
Intracoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
homebrew

Inland Lakes & Reservoirs  

Total Awards: 1

They are a parasite of the fish and don't hurt people. I clean fish with my glasses off so I don't know they are there. Makes it easier to eat them.

I think (this is from memory, which is as bad as my eyes) they live in snails at some part of their life cycle, so maybe stocking redear sunfish (shellcrackers) would help.

The perch we get in very clean water in Canada have them as well.
homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
bopperattacker
Banned

gives you chest hair.. Plus like IC said, it has no effect on the meat. It happens with a lot of meat, and it all dies off after cooking. There's probably parasites in a lot of fish caught in ponds and public waters, you just never see them. I know what you mean by not wanting the meat when you can physically see the parasite. It's kinda creepy, but in the end just adds extra protein.
bopperattacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Shaun69007
Bag'em and Tag'em

yeah i have seen them in bluegill before. I was told that they are normal but the kinda makes you want to vomit. but how many maggots are in a jar of peanut butter
Shaun69007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Beernut

i have seen this in pan fish before but it is usually when the water starts to get warm. i say clean them anyway when you have a fish fry make sure you give it to the person you like the least. thats what i do!
Beernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Muskarp
Banned

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/fish/health/clinostomum.html

Will not hurt you. But I try to dig them out where I find them. Just for the ell of it.
Muskarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
BMustang

I had a friend once who was an avid fisherman and liked to catch and clean a few for dinner.
While cleaning a mess of rock bass at a lake near Ely, Minnesota he came upon one that had the "worms."
He not only threw away the mess of them, but stopped fishing for the remainder of the trip.

Seemed rather radical to me.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
the falcon

caught a mess years ago called my uncle he said cook them and eat them i did still here
the falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
jcotsmallie
learning&catching

Iwas told they were warbles and not to eat them but after reading all this and that dnr article guess its fine....still dont know if i could shovel down some fillets after seeing all the worms
jcotsmallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
spidey

Oh yeah, all those warnings not to eat undercooked meat and fish are rooted in the reality that...we are not alone. Parasites exist!!!
spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
hazmat247
Fishin' Fool

I've seen yellow/off-white worms in Pike and Perch up in Canada and I have heard the same thing, nothing to worry about. I try and pick them out with my fillet knife, but everyone else up at the camp have been eating them in the meat for years with no problems. I wouldnt worry about it unless it creeps you out!
hazmat247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:08 AM   #14
Hole in the ice

Default white worms in fish

I think HOMEBREW has it right. I was told many years ago that those little grubs have a complicated life cycle. They are a larval stage of a fresh water mollusk that spends part of its life attached inside the throats of herons. I can never bring myself to eating fish infested with them even though I was always told these fish were safe to eat after cooking.
Hole in the ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
Eriesteamer
BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

Send a message via MSN to Eriesteamer

Oh man I use to get lot fish out Pymatuning in fall with these that was back then was called parasite.only in fall after waters so and so warm and in most cases the green slime sets in.that covers that lake back then the slime was so think frogs can walk on it.one reason I do not fish that lake.not sure how it is today as never been there in 20 years as once I caught lot the fish thinking oh boy fish fry tomorrow was not the case.back then I had good eye sight thus can not take off glasses to clean so the guy say he does in here has a good point there LOL now to the other guy give a fish fry and give those ones to the guy comes he hates. LOL I plan bring my own fish to the West Branch thing as that be the ones they serve me way they hate me in here LOL