Ohio Game Fishing Community

Ohio Game Fishing Community (http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/index.php)
-   Lake Erie General Discussions (http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   starcraft islanders? (http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=239932)

musky 44 09-01-2013 04:13 PM

starcraft islanders?

Anyone here fish with a starcraft islander? I have been looking for an Erie boat, but don't want to break the bank. I've seen some older islanders for sale between $3000 - $5000. They look like they are in good shape, but I don't know how they would handle Erie. Any information would be great, good and bad. Also, is there anything specific I should look at or for when looking at a used boat? Such as how do you tell if the transom is solid?

bhartman 09-02-2013 07:44 AM

You beat me to the question. I too have been looking at these boats. I read some reviews that causion to stay away from anything that has a OMC in it. The reviews say there are very limited parts and they fail often. I just did a search for the Islander and it had lots of reviews from the OMC to rivet issues. I would like to hear from n owner of one of these rigs if any of this is true or did someone just have a bad experince. they sure look like they would be an outstanding rig. Let me know if you hear otherwise. Thanks Brian

Evileye 09-02-2013 07:53 AM

I dont personally own one but I have heard nothing but good things about
them. I considered buying one before I bought a starcraft fishmaster.
Sylvan and sea nymph I believe make similar boats

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

CarpetBagger 09-02-2013 10:17 AM

Lots of them out there....They are a decent boat...I would probably suggest trim tabs on one, if not already equipped, as it might keep you from having to visit ur dentist after a trip in 1-3s...

I own a 22' Sylvan Offshore with trim tabs I run around in the western basin in the spring...3.0L I/O trim tabs...runs about 30mph and is actually a pretty good running boat in some chop...Pretty nice boat for 2-3 guys to go fishing on...

In response to the OMC Comment from Hartman...I had a OMC Cobra on my 88 Trophy and it was a great outdrive had 0 issues with it for 10 years of ownership...

johnrude 09-02-2013 02:39 PM

My dad had one for a long time and it was a great boat ! never any rivet or any taking on water issues. and it was only used on Lake Erie. the only thing that ever went wrong with the boat was the floor eventually went bad and had to be replaced.

SteelEyes 09-02-2013 04:21 PM

Grew up fishing Erie on one, I/O with a chevy engine (I believe). Great boat. Wanted to buy one when I purchased a new boat in 2011 but they had suspended production, so got a new fishmaster instead.
To my mind the Islanders were the best aluminum hulled cuddy cabin out there, not trying to say anything bad about other brands. Want to say they started producing Islanders in the late 60s, and 2010 was the last model year. So an over 40 year production run. And you can still see them out there all over the 5 great lakes. I know for sure in later years there were outboard models, both transom mount and bracket mount.

I wouldn't worry to much about rivet issues. Obviously sometimes they happened, but since any Islander you look at will have a few years on it, any rivet issues should be apparent and/or testable. But like your worry you need to watch transom condition, and on inboards the motor condition. If they didn't properly winterize consistently over the years they could have problems. Also, where the i/o mounts to the transom can eventually leak.

I would recommend before you purchase a used boat, especially an I/O, get a marine surveyor to inspect it, and get a test ride. Those are your best options for minimizing your risk. When I thought about buying a used islander my biggest worry was getting one that hadn't been properly maintained but didn't show it.

Leonard B 09-02-2013 05:38 PM

I had a 1967 21' Islander for many years. My father in law bought it new.
It was a great big water boat. It had a Chevy 2. 120 hp. Mercruser out drive. Ended up putting a dolfin on it. Had one rivet that came loose and fixed it. Replaced the floor once and replaced the interior. We fished in every Great Lake. Did a lot of tournaments and had to fish in some big waves. We had 4 downriggers and plainer board mast with rod holders.
We now have a Lund. But if I want a bigger boat. The Starcraft would be the one.
I feel it is a very safe boat with deep gunnel's.
Len

BtweenShots 09-02-2013 05:51 PM

Islanders

1 Attachment(s)
Purchased mine early this spring it is a "94" with the 4.3 v6, trim tabs were already installed but would have added them for sure. Handles well and I have had no issues to speak of at this time. But it's not a 26 ft. glass boat
like I had prior. Gas usage is great also. I would probably steer from the 4 cyl. in my opinion.Attachment 82564

husky_jerk 09-02-2013 08:32 PM

I have a 22ft sylvan offshore. its a 1988- old as me. this is my 3rd summer with it, I have replaced the floor, the wood on the front dash, and the engine cover. had a full enclose canopy made for it. Its a great boat, had a 8hp kicker put on this year , I did not like trolling with bags.

Im happy I got the boat, but wish I didn't have to spend all that money replacing all the rotten wood, so be mindful of that. the floor was close to 2k. also it is a pain anchoring from the bow, I can barely fit through the little window to throw the anchor out and tie it to the front cleat.

viper1 09-02-2013 11:27 PM

Looked at them also. But after owning cuddys i went with a close bow holiday. Lots more room for fishing. Our cuddy ended up being a catch all. I like more room. Be ok if you sleep in it. But we just fish. Cant beat a starcraft.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

bhartman 09-04-2013 07:32 PM

Well can't beat all this info. Thanks for all the heads up on the wood rot issues and what to look for. CB thanks for your review on the OMC. Where do you find a marine surveyor in the Youngstown, Ohio area? Thanks Brian

SteelEyes 09-04-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhartman (Post 1694214)
Well can't beat all this info. Thanks for all the heads up on the wood rot issues and what to look for. CB thanks for your review on the OMC. Where do you find a marine surveyor in the Youngstown, Ohio area? Thanks Brian

Here's one directory for a starting point. i'm sure there are other lists out there from other organizations.
http://www.boatus.com/insurance/survey.asp

http://www.namsglobal.org/find-a-marine-surveyor/

Papascott 09-04-2013 07:44 PM

With any riveted aluminium boat check the hull, especially the front half for smoking rivets. Any dark rings around rivets or broken paint around rivets.

Check for soft floors and transome. Open the motor cover and check the wood around the lower unit on the transome and especially check anywhere there are screws from the outside the transome in, transducers, swimladders, kicker brackets and the like. Those will be the areas most likely to get water rot

Lower units should be checked for water in lower unit oil, bellows for cracking and check the engine oil to see if its been maintained.

Depending on age wiring can become a nightmare the older the worse!

If at all possible go for a test ride. Lots of things cannot be diagnosed without operating a boat!

SteelEyes 09-04-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelEyes (Post 1694217)
Here's one directory for a starting point. i'm sure there are other lists out there from other organizations.
http://www.boatus.com/insurance/survey.asp

http://www.namsglobal.org/find-a-marine-surveyor/

Also see some in Warren on this list
http://www.marinesurvey.org/us-regions/ohio.html

bhartman 09-04-2013 08:00 PM

You guys are great! Thanks a bunch Brian

MassillonBuckeye 09-04-2013 09:36 PM

http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats-53/

Welcome to the Starmada?? :)

mlnccs 09-05-2013 09:19 AM

I bought a 22' Islander hardtop last winter. It was fully kitted out with all electronics, trim tabs, 4 electric cannon down riggers, planner board mast and boards, rod holders, dual batteries, and dual axle roller trailer. It has a 130 MercCruiser and runs great. It is a 1987 and is in great shape not leaks at all. I was able to pick it up for $8,5000.00

Papascott 09-05-2013 09:52 AM

Also check to make sure the foam flotation under the floor is not water logged. Major pain to fix

husky_jerk 09-05-2013 08:57 PM

X2 on the wiring, some of my stuff is starting to go. Ive got alot of rewire projects for it this winter. Good thing I have electric background.

I have spent way more money maintaining the boat than I originally paid for it. But its what I could afford at the time and when I do sell it, someone is going to get a very well maintained fishing machine.

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

privateer 09-06-2013 12:02 AM

Remember that for DC wiring, the length of the circuit is from the battery to the device and back (round trip length). Many folks and even factory electric work are under wired because they forget this!

I have found the following book to be really good in providing advice when working on my boats. Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems, ISBN-10: 0071432388 You don't have to be an engineer to understand and follow this book.

A wise man once told me - buy a good hull and put your money into your engines...