Ohio Game Fishing Community

Ohio Game Fishing Community (http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/index.php)
-   Lake Erie General Discussions (http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Biting black flies!!!!!!! (http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=234865)

walleyeQueen 07-04-2013 09:26 PM

Biting black flies!!!!!!!

If your heading to the great lake Erie this fine weekend bring off with DEET and long pants and long sleeve shirt and maybe even a face net!!!!! Worst ive ever seen the biting black flies!!! Were in Conneaut and we lasted about hour and a half before we just couldnt take it anymore!!! Good luck out there!! Dont say I didn't warn ya :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

miked913 07-04-2013 09:37 PM

My lovely wife did leave out that we got 60 nice perch without flies in 48' and 1 walleye during the fly onslaught, never really put a program together during the short time trolling and doing the cricket dance. We'll let you know how tomorrow goes back at it in the am.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Chubz 07-04-2013 10:04 PM

We were outta bula today and sometime around noon they came out in full force. It was brutal. I dont know why but i was the only 1 they didnt bite. The other 2 guys were donating lots of blood :)

Bluewalleye 07-04-2013 10:27 PM

I finished up at 11:30, so I guess I missed the mass biting. But I had a lot of flies on the boat in the morning. The 2nd walleye that I caught was bleeding all over the back splashwell. I didn't clean it up and the flies were just hanging around that area. They left me alone the whole time. Not sure if I solved the biting flies problem. But it did work today...

lil goose 07-04-2013 10:50 PM

Those little basta#ds are horrible it feels like someone drove a spike nail in your ankle when they hit you!!! Do not buy a thermacell!! I did last year and damn things were landing on it 100% DEET is the only thing that seems to help!! Just remember to re apply often or the black fly's will!! Goose

ebijack 07-05-2013 05:22 AM

The best thing I've found to work decent besides the long pants and boots if you can stand wearing those in high heat is anyone of the liquid dish shops watered down in a spray bottle, spray your legs and feet about every 15 minutes and they won't land on your legs or ankles. And you can use it to clean the blood up if you get any from the fish. Not perfect but the best thing I've found.

ChinnAgain 07-05-2013 11:34 PM

I am a believer in a Thermocell. Today we were getting destroyed by flies and then I remebered to fire it up. I did not get another bite after putting it out. I have a cuddy cabin so my deck is protected. I place it on top of our cooler mid boat between the front seats. There was not a lot of wind so maybe this is why it worked so good. Some flies were still around but they stopped biting.

laynhardwood 07-05-2013 11:42 PM

They were insane yesterday 13-14 miles out it was all I could do to keep from jumping overboard. Where pants for sure and long sleeves good luck out there

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

jeffmo 07-05-2013 11:47 PM

I was up a couple of weeks ago(didn't do very well on the fish) and the flies were murder!
I thought about taking a dump on the bow of the boat so the flies would get away from us!

RELAYER3 07-06-2013 12:54 AM

These are not black flies they are called BOT FLIES. They reproduce in animal feces. Another good repelent is bounce dryer sheets rubbed on your legs.

Nikster 07-06-2013 06:55 AM

Can't remember the name right now? Go to a equine, horse place & buy their spray for horse stalls. Lightly spray the inside of the boat, carpeting, sides,
shoes, sox, etc.. Helps a lot! Spray every 1/2hr or so.

Or go take a dump in the front of the boat.

NIK,

rod bender bob 07-06-2013 08:50 AM

Avon has a new product - can't remember the name - that is spefically for bugs and it worked great on the flies. Have to reapply every 2-3 hrs. It comes in 2 diff bottkes, one has 30 sunscreen in it.

RELAYER3 07-06-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rod bender bob (Post 1657740)
Avon has a new product - can't remember the name - that is spefically for bugs and it worked great on the flies. Have to reapply every 2-3 hrs. It comes in 2 diff bottkes, one has 30 sunscreen in it.

Product you are talking about is called avon skin so soft,it kindof works,like you said reapply every 2-3 hrs

RELAYER3 07-06-2013 11:54 AM

I researched these flies years ago can't remember the whole story but the article said they are attracted to vertical objects such as human legs horsed cow legs and white vertical objects. Agree 100% deet is very good but still needs reapplied every 2-3-hrs,make sure you wash your hands I don't think the walleyes like the smell on the lures LOL!!

Eliminator 07-06-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynhardwood (Post 1657663)
They were insane yesterday 13-14 miles out it was all I could do to keep from jumping overboard. Where pants for sure and long sleeves good luck out there

I tried that one time and it was worse when I got out of the water, they had my fresh meat instantly, in fact they were hovering around the surface just waiting for me to emerge.

rod bender bob 07-06-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RELAYER3 (Post 1657824)
Product you are talking about is called avon skin so soft,it kindof works,like you said reapply every 2-3 hrs

it is not skin so soft, it is a new product in response to the use of skin so soft. Skin worked somewhat, this product works well for us abd last 2-3 hrs.

rod bender bob 07-06-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RELAYER3 (Post 1657824)

it is a new product in response to the use of skin so soft. Skin worked somewhat, this new product works well for us and last 2-3 hrs. A lot of questions about the sfety of DEET!

krustymc223 07-06-2013 01:33 PM

... RELAYER3, these are called Stable Flies, not Bot flies!

kingnuke32 07-08-2013 08:26 AM

Coleman 10 hour max gander sells it, it works better than any other method so far.

Jason Pelz 07-10-2013 03:40 AM

We used deep woods off the last two weekends and the flies were manageable. After spraying ourselves, the inside of the boat and the antenna they seemed to go bother some other boat. When I sprayed the antenna you could see the flies wouldn't go anywhere near the 5 or 6 ft up that I had initially sprayed so I had to tip the antenna down to get to the very top also.