PDA

View Full Version : Best Fishing line on The Market?

puterdude
12-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Ok,what fishing line do you guys think is the best on the market.I am going to make my own rod and replace my fishing line afterwards.I want to know the best fishing line to use 8lb test on a open faced reel.I want something that will cast a mile without throwing your arm out,one that works in cold water and doesn't curl and few birdnests.So let have your expert tried opinions and try to include breifly why you think your's is the best. Thanks for the imput.

misfit
12-21-2006, 08:52 PM
i don't have a clue about the best,but one of my favorites is p-line.less stretch/memory than mono,tougher and casts great.i've heard good things about silver thread and yo-zuri hybrid which are also copolymers.
just bought some 6 pound suffix to try on my crappie rigs,and have also heard good things about it.

fishdealer04
12-22-2006, 12:42 AM
I love Berkley Fireline. Absolutley great. No stretch, casts a mile because of its small diameter. I think the 8 lb fireline is comparible to 2 lb mono diameter.

I also like Yo Zuri hybrid, however it has a slightly larger diameter

For economicly priced you cant beat Berkley Trilene XL.

puterdude
12-23-2006, 08:34 PM
thanks for the tip fishdealer,I got some fireline last night and put it on today and used it,I love it as well,it does as you said,stays true and cast a mile.

ledslinger
12-24-2006, 12:55 AM
for casting weight forward spinners in zeeb infested water---izorline---8# without exception

Catmandoodoo
12-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Fireline also has great sensitivity, you can feel every little rock or weed with it, and I can always tell when I get caught on something before the hook burys in it, so I lose very little tackle. and although 8lb fireline may be rated at 8lbs, it will hold more. Stong stuff. Only thing is, you have to watch for kinks, one kink and the line will break like butter but I only had that happen a couple times. I use it with my jigging rods, because of the sensitivity.

starcraft
12-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Depends on what u are fishing for and are u going to be casting trolling verticle, found out that triline still gets my nod, But when using leaders or 3 way rigs u cant beat pline cx and there newer lines. Never had one break off while using pline. ;)

liquidsoap
12-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Depending on sitautions..
I love using powerpro, gamma, and pline.. Yozuri hybrid is good too.. :D

fugarwi7
12-26-2006, 10:43 PM
I like Spider original braid for sensitivity, Berkley XL mono for lack of memory.

I just bought some Berkely Crystal...anyone ever use it and have an opinion?

Reel Lady
12-27-2006, 02:18 AM
GAMMA is definitely it for me :)
My "break-offs" are a thing of the past. I wouldnt hesitate throwing a toad into lillypads on 6lb test. I'm telling you...this line just won't break!
The make:
Flourocarbon
http://206.210.94.83/assets/product_full/FGE21_large.jpg
100% fluorocarbon fishing line made with Gamma's exclusive process for maximum shock resistance, higher tenacity, greater flexibility, and smoother/longer casting.

CoPolymer
http://206.210.94.83/assets/product_thumb/FCPP1_sm.jpg
GAMMA has been at the forefront in copolymer filament research and design for over 25 years and is the only company producing a "processed line." This processing involves patented and proprietary steps that alter the molecular structure of the polymer to produce a line that outperforms the competition. GAMMA high performance line provides the maximum combination of strength, tenacity, castability, and sensitivity. The built-in suppleness and sensitivity characteristics allow for a more natural presentation for both bait and lures while the fighting capability allows more and bigger fish to be landed.

Ice Fishing Line
http://206.210.94.83/assets/product_full/ESP_ICE_large.jpg
Molecularly altered to stay supple in extreme cold while providing unequalled fish fighting capability! The exclusive process involves patented and proprietary steps that alter the molecular structure of the polymer to produce a super high tenacity co-polymer line that is designed to stay supple and offer greater shock resistance in extreme cold conditions.

ezbite
12-27-2006, 03:15 AM
propower for trolling.

fireline for spinning or baitcasting. works equally well for both.

one tip on superbraids is when you snag make sure to wrap something around the line before trying to pull it free. the small diameter combined with the super stregnth of it will cause it to cut into your skin like a cheese cutter. had it happen to me when wading freemont during the walleye run. my hands were wet jig was snagged i pulled very hard line didn't give and cut to the bone on my pinky finger. i bleed like a stuck pig.. fishing trip was over then..now i tug a little if it stays snagged it gets cut off at the tip.

neocats1
12-27-2006, 05:53 AM
There is no way to classify one line as the best. Each angler has his/her favorite line that works best for them considering the style of fishing, areas of fishing, types of fish caught, equipment being used, etc. A person catching crappie could not expect the line being used to be best for big cats and likewise the big cat angler would probably not use the same line or gear to crappie fish.

puterdude
12-27-2006, 08:51 AM
well so far I love the fireline.It really does cast well and is strong.I am going to load another outfit with the Gamma as reellady suggested and try it is as well.I fish solely for eyes,occasional bass,perch,gills.So I think both of these will serve the purpose.thanks for all the imput & suggestions.

Wannabitawerm
12-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Trilene XL in 6 or 8 is my line of choice for most of my fishing. I like Berkely Ice Blue for ice and use XL in a 12 to 14 for catfishing. There are other lines that are just as good, but, the choices are mind boggling. I found that it has been easier to adjust my fishing to the line than to find a line that adjusts to my style of fishing. Also, I don't have to worry about the performance of the line when out trying it for the first time. Have gotten on the water to fish and discovered the line I decided to try was crap. XL has been the best for me in performance, price, and predictability. Have also found the chances of getting an "old" spool are pretty rare. Nothing worse than stringing your reel and looking like you've been handling a powdered donut.