PDA

View Full Version : Advice on canoe for family of 4

sevenx
11-29-2006, 07:31 AM
I am looking to buy a canoe for myself and the family. I have two boys that are 3 and 1 right now. I would like to find a boat we can use now and grow into as the boys get older. I have looked at a few boats. I see that some are shallow flat bottom boats with wide beams, some are rounded deeper bottem with a narrower beam. Lengths very as well. I have looked at the differant styles and seating designs and just don't know where to start. I have talked to a guy at Dicks and he did not anything at all. He just looked at the price tag for a description. Any advice would be great. Thanks all, S
ps, I would use the boat primarily on the LMR and in ponds and lakes.

Salmonid
11-29-2006, 08:48 AM
SevenX, I have had several canoes in the past and can tell you for durability, stability( Id even stand in it all the time on the Mad river), and comfort, I realy like the Old Towne Discovery in the 16' 9" model. Holds fly rods under the seats and the bottom is almost square so there there is zero keel, holds about 900 lbs and witht he plastic/duralex (sp) body is as solid as a rock. I know a canoe livery that turns them over after each year so there not too beat up, around 500 bucks and still in pretty good shape. drop me a PM if you want more info. The zero keel is just fine for the LMR. Its a floating barge and floats in only about 3" of water whereas the keeled version are much tippy'er and take more water to float through as they do not displace as much water.

Salmonid

crawdiddy
11-29-2006, 09:25 AM
I've been in an old town discovery flatback (I think thats the model, if not its the big old town model with the square back) and it was WAAAAAAY more stable than my Old Town Guide. It was wider and the side were taller. The stability was unbelievable. And I don't think you even need to go flatback. I guess all I'm saying is that there is a canoe out there for you and that it would be a great thing to do as a family of 4. At some point as the kids grow, 3 would be better I'm sure. PM papabullhead is was his canoe and he used it with his kids(one of whom played football at u cinci and hes a big dood also). He could and will I'm sure offer more details(super nice guy).

CrappieCrazy
11-29-2006, 03:17 PM
I have a 16 foot ,flat back ,aluminum canoe for sale. It is very stable i have had 4 people on it at one time many times over the summer. If interested pm me.

WINNER
11-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Pick a big, stable boat with a large capacity...If you are thinking rivers, stay away from the square sterns...but...if you are thinking flatwater and possibly putting a motor on it, the square sterns are ok.

Old Town Penobscot, allagash, tripper, appalacian, (guide, disco)--heavy

I have a gently used OT Black Falls 164(allagash) I'd sell too...

Winner

Sleprock
12-01-2006, 12:35 AM
I got a plastic canoe from dicks sporiting goods, northwestexplorerr, something, right now its 329 at dicks the one with the built in cooler seat, its 14 feet long, almost 4 feet wide, says it holds 700 pounds, seems to be very durable this year is first year but i have droped it several times, dragged it over rockey bottoms and i stand up in it i 5'11 230 pounds, it weighs about 90 pounds, i have had my wife and 15 year old son in it at same time was a little cramped but if kids are small it shouldn't be problem. be careful with kids, at dicks by dayton mall this canoe was 329.

alot better than the 399 i paid in the spring. get one now and one in a couple years when your kids are bigger

good luck stay dry