PDA

View Full Version : Whats the average cost of mounting a fish?

ProfitOfDoom
09-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I got these wood paneling wood covering most of my living room and theres this big open space above the fireplace,I think fish would fit it just fine.
I was wondering how much does stuffing a fish cost,say a walleye big enough for being mounted.
Also if you know of a good place in my area let me know
Now all I have to do is catch a nice enough fish
:p

krustydawg
09-07-2006, 01:55 PM
I paid $6.50 an inch for a 31" walleye last year. Jim's Taxidermy out of Port Clinton. Did a good job. http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/data/500/1089s_Walleye_Mount_1-med.JPG

liquidsoap
09-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I paid $6.50 an inch for a 31" walleye last year. Jim's Taxidermy out of Port Clinton. Did a good job.
Wow thats a great price on that mount they did an excellent job!
How long did you have to wait, I went in there and they said they have over a year wait on mounts.

Hook N Book
09-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Indeed, that is a nice mount...and a good price too...! ;)

krustydawg
09-07-2006, 02:17 PM
It took 6 months to get the fish, but for the price and the detail he put into it I think it was well worth the wait. My brother actually caught the fish and I told him I cleaned it, he kind of shrugged it off saying "man if I had the money I would have had it mounted". Well, being the great older brother that I am (pat on the back) ;) I footed the bill and gave him the mount as a happy belated birthday.

M.Magis
09-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Prices for most professional taxidermists run anywhere from $8/inch, up to $25/inch. Price increases with quality. Krustydog's mount looks quite good for $6.50/inch. His taxidermsit won't be in business for long with prices like that.
NEVER hang a mount over a fireplace.

krustydawg
09-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Prices for most professional taxidermists run anywhere from $8/inch, up to $25/inch. Price increases with quality. Krustydog's mount looks quite good for $6.50/inch. His taxidermsit won't be in business for long with prices like that.

I just talked to Jim and what a difference a year makes on pricing, he is now at $8 per inch and is 9-10 months back logged. I guess he can demand it when he has customers lined up like that.

M.Magis
09-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I bet by next year he's at $10/inch :D . He SHOULD be closer to $15.

Darwin
09-08-2006, 07:08 AM

Why is that? I am guessing it would make it dry and brittle?

M.Magis
09-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Heat and dry air cause a host of problems. It can ruin a mount.

COmmodore 64
09-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Please check out www.skipstaxidermy.com. Skip is my father, and also posts on this board as Walk in the Water. His price list is available on the website. He is located in Mantua, Ohio and several bait shops in Port CLinton/Marblehead will accept fish on his behalf.

Most freshwater Fish are $6.75 an inch. Salmon, Trout, Muskie and Northerns are 7.25 an inch.

Price increases with quality. Krustydog's mount looks quite good for $6.50/inch. His taxidermsit won't be in business for long with prices like that.

Quality is often not a factor in price. It is all about what the market will bear and N.E. Ohio has a lot of excellent taxidermists. And Jim's Taxidermy has been around for a long time, BTW, I don't think that kind of speculation should be asserted in this case.

M.Magis
09-08-2006, 09:09 AM
I refuse to work for $4-$5/ hour. Anyone who does is welcome to, but it requires major corner cutting to be able to survive.
It is all about what the market will bear
That excuse is old and tired, and is as much BS today as it ever has been. I KNOW what top work looks like, and I know what it costs. If the work is good, people WILL pay for it.

COmmodore 64
09-08-2006, 09:50 AM
That excuse is old and tired, and is as much BS today as it ever has been. I KNOW what top work looks like, and I know what it costs. If the work is good, people WILL pay for it.

Certainly your life experiences have led to your perception and I am in no better position to discredit you than you are to discredit me.

However, I would submit the following accounting of my experience. In my life, I have performed taxidermy services for my father and several other taxidermists over the period of approximately 20 years. In that time, I have met numerous other taxidermists, some whose work is very bad, and some whose work is very good.

When I assert that there are many EXCELLENT taxidermists in NE Ohio who charge between $6.50 and $9.00 per inch, I have likely been in their shops, been in competitios where their work is judged, and perhaps even skinned a fish or two (hundred) for them. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that ALL of them would love to charge $20 per inch. I can also confidently state that their work will withstand the "pepsi challenge" with anything that you would consider "Top" work.

I do know a taxidermist that can charge upwards of $30 per inch for his work and he is in a class of his own and deals primarily with hand carved specimens and his clientel is incredibly limited. It's not a market that the numerous taxidermists in NE ohio can tap into. It just isn't.

If you could walk into Ravenna or Windham or Mantua and, in good conscience, convince the hardworking farmer (who is paying for his sons deer mount with a large portion his $2 bill collection) that he should be paying 2x to 3x more for his mount...more power to you.

M.Magis
09-08-2006, 10:05 AM
I think I came off wrong. I'm not trying to discredit anyone charging less than $20/inch. Only trying to say that they can get more if they cater to the correct client. In turn, they create a more enjoyable career for themselves. Taxidermy is a luxury item. Why should I lower my income, to meet those of others, that maybe shouldn't be spending money on a mount? A taxidermist is just as entitled to a comfortable living as a plumber. But, it seems plumbers are smarter than most taxidermist. They charge me $60 for 10 minutes work, because they have to to make a profit. Many taxidermist work for $4/hour, because they think they have to. They don't, and it's a shame so many lower their standard of living to "help" the fella driving a $40,000 truck.

huntrjm
10-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Well said magis. You sound like a bnissman.

Fishin' Coach
10-19-2006, 10:38 AM
http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11755&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

This one was about $7 per inch from a small place in Lipsic ohio Would give them a plug , because they did a great job but I can't remember the name :o

Toxic
10-23-2006, 07:13 PM
I don't know about the 4-5 dollar an hour thing. I do know I paid 400.00 for my deer mount. That's 80 to 100 man hours of work at that wage. Does it take that long to do a deer? Just asking.

M.Magis
10-23-2006, 09:26 PM
$400 is about minimum a full time taxidermist needs to charge to make a decent profit on a whitetail shoulder mount. Figure about $100 for good quality supplies. Add another $50 if sent to a tannery. 10-15 hours working time, plus utilities, insurance, retirement plan, the taxidermist's salary, business profit, and numerous other bills that need paid. I only do work for friends, and I charge them $350. It's simply not worth my time to do it for less. I don't mind doing it for less than what I should, but it's MY weekends and evenings being used up, so I have to draw the line somewhere.

crawdiddy
10-24-2006, 03:36 AM
gorgeous mount and awesome 31" eye! looks like a $400+ job!

crawdiddy
10-24-2006, 03:39 AM
yay if you drive a suv multiply the mount price by at least 2.5

COmmodore 64
10-24-2006, 09:42 AM
My dad has been a full time taxidermist for over 20 years. He would love to get $400 per whitetail mount. I remember when he had to raose the priec from $150 to $175 and we were freaking out.

Now they start at $285.

http://www.skipstaxidermy.com/showroom.php

fugarwi7
10-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Jim is one of the best in the business in my opinion...so what if it takes a year to get your trophy back....how long did it take you to finally get that fish of a life time worthy of mounting? I have two mounts from him, one that goes back to 1988 and it still looks as good as the day I picked it up! (with a little TLC form time to time)