PDA

View Full Version : Hauling a canoe with a truck

Timmypage16
06-15-2006, 10:16 PM
What is the best way to put a canoe on a pick up. I just baught a canoe and am woundering how to transport it in my pick up, because its not a flat surace to strap it to. so do you just set it on the tail gate and on the roof of the truck?

LittleMiamiJeff
06-16-2006, 06:25 AM
Not an expert here (no P/U), But I'd see about a rack that fits in your corner post holes of the bed. I've thought this through, since I want a P/U w/extended cab. I sold my canoe last week, the guy had a S10 w/extended cab, and it sat on roof with a foam block on each side. One strap over middle through cab, and strap/rope bow and stern. Twist straps so you don't sound like a herd of bees as you drive.

Fish-N-Fool
06-16-2006, 11:16 AM
We haul ours all the time - nothing to it.

We use the foam blocks; 4 of them on the corners of the truck cab. I use a sawhorse in the back of the truck adjusted to the correct heighth and fasten the canoe to the sawhorse. I don't use any straps in the middle - just use rope through bow & stern and make sure you tighten down good.
I drive at freeway speed (75mph) with no shifting or problems.

You can find the foam blocks @ Dick's, BPS, Gander, and even sometimes @ Wallyworld and Meijer.

spot chaser
06-16-2006, 01:27 PM
I've always had a cap - but one way would be one of the 1 man boat loaders.

It can go into a trailer receiver or if you have a hole or step bumper with a trailer ball hole you could use it.

Also very handy if by yourself. I used one on the back of a small PU even when I had a cap. It made solo loading very easy - plus it clamps on secures the canoe.