PDA

View Full Version : Is there a line that is.......

mojo
04-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Is there a mono that is cheap, strong, resists knicks and wear, casts forever, and has no memory? If so I'm all ears. Went cheap with trilene and have been burned with at least 2 spools now and currently use p line but it seems to have lots of memory and wears pretty easily.

catfishhunter33
04-18-2005, 09:33 PM
hghghghghghghghghh

die4irish
04-19-2005, 12:59 AM
I've never had a problem with trilene big game. 1100 yrd spool at meijers $7.95

Corey
04-19-2005, 06:47 AM
There's no such thing as one line that does it all. With monos you give up castability and manageability for knot strength and abrasion resistance. As catfishhunter33 says above, with superlines you get these features but give up the cheaper price. Match the line to the fishing methods you favor, tie your knots correctly, and replace mono often and you should have few problems.

bkr43050
04-19-2005, 08:07 AM
I agree that there is no line that does it all. I switched a lot of stuff over to braids last year because I was sold on its no stretch but what I gave up and found out later was the abitlity to sink the line. Very light lures are tough to fish deeper due to the bouyancy of the line. And the no stretch sometimes is too much. I have lost a few fish due to no stretch and they were able to shake free. So now I have gone back to utilizing other lines. I want to give the flouros more of a look now.

I think a real misconception from many people is that Power Pro and other superbraids are expensive. It is true that the initial investment is substantially more than spooling up with mono. But you will re-spool your monomany times before you need to do anything with teh superbraids. There is no memory to cause the dreaded coil effect. There is no deterioration from UV rays. I have the same fireline on one of my rods from about 5 years ago. All I have done with it was reversed it on the spool a couple of years ago. So the overall cost of using that Fireline has been pretty inexpensive.

mojo
04-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Yeah i knew there was no such line otherwise everyone and their brother would use it, but just looking for sugggestons. The p line have on is the fluoro and i spooled on sunday, fished yesterday and the memory was pretty ridiculous so that was why i asked.

JBJ
04-19-2005, 05:11 PM
mojo, try using "Reel Magic" on that P-line fluoroclear. It reduces memory quite a bit. I used this line 2 out of 3 years fishing tournaments up on Lake Erie. I used Stren 100% fluorocarbon last year and will be going back to fluoroclear this year.

doegirl
04-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Try soaking the spool of P-Line in hot water for 1 hour before putting it on your reel. I have no problems with 8lb test but I need to soak the 12lb test to tame the memory.

mojo
04-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the tips, i'll gine them a try.

LiquidTension
04-20-2005, 10:10 AM
i just bought my first and last spool of Spiderwire SuperMono..... bleeeehhh stay away

vc1111
05-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Berkley Ironsilk is pretty impressive, in my opinion.

I've tried quite a few different types and it is a good all around line with many of the characteristics that you are looking for.

Lewzer
05-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I just got rid of the Ironsilk and replaced it with p-line. Iron Silk had too much memory and nicked too easily. Snapped the line too many times. 8lb test for both types of line.

I think it's amazing how one guy loves a certain line and another would never use it again.

mrfishohio
05-06-2005, 02:07 PM
SilverThread in a large spool is economical. I've been using it for years for my 8# applications. I think I had to order it thru Cabela's (maybe BPS) and it was real low cost per yd for about 1,500 or maybe it was 3,200 yds. :confused: I only have to purchase a new spool every 3 or 4 years.
As already mentioned, some like a certain line, some won't.

lark101_1999
05-06-2005, 09:58 PM
if your going to soak it add fabric softener or dryer sheet will relaxe the line also do the same with new cast net