PDA

View Full Version : Brook Trout

Mushijobah
03-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Who has caught an ohio brooktrout?

AndroDoug
03-15-2005, 12:56 AM
I have never caught one, but I have done alot of reading about the native Ohio Brook Trout. I was eyeing a couple streams that they can live in, but I think it is illegal to fish for them. I would like to check out these places a little closer, just out of curiosity.

One place where the native strain can be found is called Sulphur Springs. It's a little feeder stream in the South Chagrin Reservation. Another place is a little feeder stream into Bass Lake in Geauga/Lake county (can't remember). I don't think they survive in too many other streams, naturally. The ODNR stocks them in other particular feeder streams in the Chagrin river basin. The pops in the other streams can't sustain themselves because the fish is so particular about it's enviroment.

I can't imagine too many people have ever caught one, other than a biologist. I'd like to see one.

johnboy111711
03-15-2005, 01:33 AM
there are a few streams that go into the rocky near medina, I beleive, that hold a few fish and a few near the hinckley reservation.

joe01
03-15-2005, 02:07 PM
I would like to learn more about the streams and the ohio native brook. Does anyone know where I can get some information at. I use to fish in Pa for brooks as a kid with my step father. AndroDoug do you know of any streams in the medina or any part of the metro parks that would carrie them???

UDBasser
03-15-2005, 03:01 PM
I believe you are correct about the Hinckley reservation. I remember hearing about that when I worked there in high school. But i thought they closed off sections of the creeks that had them so you couldnt fish there. I could be wrong.

archman
03-15-2005, 04:18 PM
As Androdoug said, there are some feeder streams on the South Chagrin that have Brook trout. YOu can fish for them, but you can only use certain types of bait. From what I can see, the fish are pretty small.

AndroDoug
03-15-2005, 05:21 PM
As I have said, I have done alot of reading on the native Ohio Brook Trout. SpringBrook is the name of the little creek that harbors Ohio's only native wild population of brookies since the Ice Age. It feeds Bass Lake and is on preserve property and is highly off-limits. The brook trout needs a stream that is spring fed with constant flow, the drainage basin needs to be small to avoid major flucuations in water levels during rains, and the stream needs to be "riparian" which means tree covered. The stream must have lots of holes and under cut trees as well. Woodiebrook is another stream going into Bass lake that harbors re-producing pops. Sulphur Springs is another stream where they have been re-introduced, and successfully spawn. There is another small trib of a larger creek (conneaut?) in Ashtabula county where they successfully spawn. All other streams that they may be found in, the pops are sustained by stocking.

Here are some articles I have read in the past...

http://cwi.us.edu/bthabitat.htm
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Fishing/aquanotes-fishid/brooktrout.htm
http://cwi.us.edu/btcriteria.htm
http://cwi.us.edu/btwatershed.htm
http://cwi.us.edu/btgeology.htm
http://cwi.us.edu/btbanks.htm
http://www.geaugaparkdistrict.org/nature/basslake.htm
http://nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/ohio/press/press1783.html

These are some interesting reading. While looking over some of them again, I realized it is NOT illegal to fish for them, just illegal in certain places, because of parks and preserves. One entire area where posession is prohibited is the Chagrin river watershed, including all of its tribs. I also do recall hearing about a stream or streams in the Hinckley reservation being stocked with them as well.

These fish are very small, only 4-6 inches mostly. A big one would be 8 inches, at least in Ohio. There are other states that have large pops and they get 14-18 inches long.

joe01
03-16-2005, 04:11 PM
I also do recall hearing about a stream or streams in the Hinckley reservation being stocked with them as well. I would just like to know what streams for C&R

twistertail
03-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Never caught on in Ohio but have got some in W.V., beautiful little fish. Most of the ones we got were under 10" but got a few that were 14 or 15 inches.

River Walker
10-12-2005, 07:16 AM
There's also a small stream near the Ashland/Richland County line that has a self-sustaining population of brook trout.I really don't believe the ODNR is even aware of this stream or it's small population of trout.Almost the entire length of this small stream flows through a friends property,and his family has lived on this property for years,and they never recall a time when the state has ever checked it out.He says he has never seen one that would go over 7",and most are around 4"-5" long.I'm from northern Michigan,and brookies are very common up there,pretty much every stream holds them,either in the headwaters,or the smaller tribs.The largest one I've ever caught was 17" from the Clam River near Cadillac.

twistertail
10-12-2005, 08:21 AM
If you want some really big brookies go to the B.W.C.A., they are not native but they stock some of the lakes up there and there are 4 and 5 pounders that come from there. I have a video about the area and it shows the guys catching some huge brook trout.

creekcrawler
10-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Hey, I believe those streams mentioned in northern Ohio may be protected.
Native brookies are a threatened species, I don't think you can fish for them....

peple of the perch
10-12-2005, 06:58 PM
i saw one chasing my fly at neff last year

WINNER
10-12-2005, 10:20 PM
What about the Mad River in Champaign Co.? I'm pretty sure there are brookies in the tribs. Not sure if they are native? Heard they were.

Winner

Salmonid
10-12-2005, 11:18 PM
As far as the Upper Mad River, there are no native brookies but there are a few stocked fish from private waters ( Zanesfield Rod and Gun Club, Cedar Run Club,Briarwood, Slaty Hollow etc) I personally have taken 3 from the Mad, all around 8-10" and all 3 in waters loaded with stocked rainbows so its a safe assumption they got mixed.

Milton Trautman has recorded the last spawning population in Ohio as on the headwaters of Cedar Run, a tributary that has since been dredged back in the early 30's. Water quality is there, just not the correct habitat and way waaaay too much silt.

Im aware of the stream in Richland County as my friends is best friends with the owners and hunts on the property/stream, PLEASE keep that trib name a secret and do not post it on this forum. There are way too many folks who want esperately to catch a wild Ohio brookie at any cost and these streams should not be fished, and should be completely protected over time so other streams and watersheds can take this rare genetic stock and expand its precious boundaries. When District 3 DNR stocked some of the Chagrin tribs with this pure genetic strain to see if they would reproduce, word got out and many fish were taken, it was very sad to see stringers of 6" trout, ( seriously)

I can not emphasize enough how rare and precious this commodity is and it should be protected at all costs. I assure you the Ohio Council of Trout Unlimited is/has been heavily involved in the protection of this species.

Salmonid

River Walker
10-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Salmonid,no need to worry,I would never reveal the name of the stream.I've been friends with the landowner that owns the property the stream runs through for years.I can't say for certain that the brookies in this stream are native to Ohio,I doubt if anybody can,but I do know that they have been naturally reproducing in there for countless years.I've known about the stream for over 40 years,and there's always been brookies in it in that time frame.At one time,there was also a few browns in there,but I haven't seen one of them in awhile.I've never fished it,mainly because I wouldn't want to harm even one of these precious little commodities,but whenever I drop by for a visit,I like to check out a couple small little pools with polarized glasses just to spot a couple of these extremely rare Ohio trout.On the same subject,maybe twenty years ago or so,a small tributary to Pine Run near Mohican State Forest also contained a few naturally spawning brook trout.That little stream has since silted in,and I've never seen,or heard of any in there again.I was aware of the brookies in the Mad River system also.I was fishing King's Creek a few years back and caught one.I don't believe it was a native strain though.Like you mentioned,I knew the Zanesfield Club had put a few in Mac-O-Chee Creek and King's Creek back at that time.Even though the water quality is just about right in that system,like you said,the siltation problem is just too great there.