PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon leader to braid knot?

musikman43155
10-21-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm considering what I'm going to be doing differently next March when I start fishing again, & one of them is changing lines.

I currently use a 65# PowerPro on my spinning bait reel, which I'll either switch to mono or fluoro. I'm currently using 20# Seagur Invizx for my pitching/flipping rod, but, I'd like to use 50-65# Power Pro w/ 24" fluoro leader.

I use a uni to uni to tie my mono backing to braid. Is there a knot that is dependable to use for the leader?

eatwhatyoukeep
10-21-2011, 02:06 AM
I was curious and ran across a knot I've never used called the J knot which I will try

http://www.worldseafishing.com/tackle/knots/j_knot_braid_to_mono.html

bobby
10-21-2011, 06:27 AM
I use a uni to uni know for all leaders - finesse to flipping and have never had an issue with breaking at the knot.

Bad Bub
10-21-2011, 09:48 AM
I use a uni to uni as well and have never had a break off that i would say was the knots fault. The j knot is a very good, streamlined knot and flows through the guides a bit better, but it's a bear to tie on the water....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Coonhound
10-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Add another vote for the uni-to-uni knot. Works great for me.

If you go with the uni-to-uni, just make sure to add a few extra wraps to the braid side to make sure it doesn't pull through itself. Had to learn that the hard way...lol. 5 to 6 wraps for the 17lb flouro i use, then 8 to 10 on the 30lb braid.

toobnoob
10-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I use a seaguar knot. Very easy and fast.

bronzebackyac
10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
blood knot works for me.

sherman51
10-21-2011, 11:48 AM
i use both the uni-to-uni knot and the blood knot. just depends what mood im in. i,ve had good service with both of them.
sherman

Harbor Hunter
10-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Double uni knot here as well.Make sure that the braid and fluoro are similar in size,and you give the braid loop a couple extra wraps.I personally like 8# Power Pro Hi-Vis yellow braid with 8#-10# Seaguar Tatsu fluoro.It's a great,and highly sensitive rig for drop-shotting,or shakey head applications.

Tokugawa
10-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Uni - uni also...but I rarely use a FC leader. The extra knot is just another thing to fail on a trophy fish. I'll use FC mainline if I'm worried about line shy fish.

thelatrobe33
10-21-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm a huge fan of the albright knot. I generally use it with 50# Sufix Performance Braid main line and 15# Yo-Zuri Hybrid as a leader.

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php

musikman43155
10-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Uni - uni also...but I rarely use a FC leader. The extra knot is just another thing to fail on a trophy fish. I'll use FC mainline if I'm worried about line shy fish.

That would probably be a good follow-up question...of those you use braid specifically for pitching/flipping, who uses a fluorocarbon leader & who uses straight braid?

eatwhatyoukeep
10-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Interesting website on knot tying and strength testing

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass/where-fish/2009/02/strongest-fishing-knots?photo=0#node-1001319720

nitsud
10-22-2011, 06:01 AM
I'd been using uni to uni, but I have had some breakoffs due to the knot getting beat up on casting. I'm using a bimini twist in the braid to perfection loop in the leader now. It seems to hold up somewhat better. The bimini isn't nearly as hard to tie as it's rumoured to be, especially in braid.

Tokugawa
10-22-2011, 08:56 AM
That would probably be a good follow-up question...of those you use braid specifically for pitching/flipping, who uses a fluorocarbon leader & who uses straight braid?

If I'm in the slop, I use straight braid. If I'm working hard cover or vertical cover, then I'll use FC.

lordofthepunks
10-22-2011, 09:52 AM
If I'm in the slop, I use straight braid. If I'm working hard cover or vertical cover, then I'll use FC.

this most of the time.

oarfish
11-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I did not have luck with any knots consistently with the braid to mono. The uni knot and the bimini twist held up the most but is to bulky to pass through the guides without ruining the cast with a birdsnest. blood knot is nice and small but snaps when drawn down and pulled tight to set it. I think it is just the nature of the braid to cut the mono more often than not.

nitsud
11-08-2011, 10:50 PM
One that I've tried a few times, but haven't used consistently is the slim beauty:

http://www.netknots.com/html/slim_beauty_knot.html

I'll probably get bored this winter and geek out on knots for a while, this one in particular. Another one that I've tried recently is to tie a bimini twist, then use the loop in a uni to uni connection. That seems to work pretty well, and I think the doubled braid serves to reduce leader abrasion on casting. However, if a uni to uni is too bulky for you, then the biminiuni is way too bulky. Could always do a bimini to uni on the braid side, and just an overhand on the leader side. So many options... I need a pull tester. :)

sherman51
11-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I did not have luck with any knots consistently with the braid to mono. The uni knot and the bimini twist held up the most but is to bulky to pass through the guides without ruining the cast with a birdsnest. blood knot is nice and small but snaps when drawn down and pulled tight to set it. I think it is just the nature of the braid to cut the mono more often than not.

have you tried adding a few extra twists to your blood knot?? i get pretty good results with my blood knots.
sherman