PDA

View Full Version : Question for the other vets here

CatfishinFreak
06-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Have any of you guys heard about ohio giving a free small game hunting/ fishing license to vets? I know in Colorado they do it for lifetime licenses but just wondering about ohio i been gone for a while and figure this is the best place to ask this question.
Thanks guys

rcjohnson
06-19-2011, 09:58 AM
That would be a great thing for Ohio to do but they would lose a lot of money. If someone sponsored a bill like that I am sure they would be very popular with the voters and the legislators against it would go on our S**t list.

I believe that Indiana at one time gave free licenses to vets but that changed when all the guys started coming home from Vietnam.

Hanging on the wall in front of me is a lifetime hunting&fishing license from the Commonwealth of Kentucky with my name on it. Unfortunately it was issued in 1955, and shows my birth year as 1889. Belonged to my grandfather.

CatfishinFreak
06-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Ok i found the link it says 100% disabled veterans get free hunting and fishing licenses I was just wondering if there was any perks to being a purple heart recipient like colorado. Guess i'll just have to do the VA paperwork and see what my rating will be.

roger23
06-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Ok i found the link it says 100% disabled veterans get free hunting and fishing licenses I was just wondering if there was any perks to being a purple heart recipient like colorado. Guess i'll just have to do the VA paperwork and see what my rating will be.

I think the only thing you get in Ohio is 10 points on a Civil service exam ,,to many of us to get anything any good. I forgot you don't have to pay extra to get it on your license plate

Sharp Charge
06-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Not sure where you're at Catfish, but welcome back. File your disability with your County Veterans Services rep, they'll submit it to the VA and also let you know what other entitlements you may receive. They're not a part of the VA but run by the State of Ohio. Don't go directly to the VA. You'll get something in the mail within 30-60 days after filing, depending how fast the VA is handling claims, to go to the screening appointments.

Take your DD214 and your medical record with you to the Veterans Services Rep and any other supporting documentation you may have regarding your purple heart.

Josh24
06-19-2011, 05:11 PM
i know when i did my VA brief cause im getting out in a few days anyone with 30% or high gets free hunting or fishing not sure

Sharp Charge
06-20-2011, 01:06 AM
i know when i did my VA brief cause im getting out in a few days anyone with 30% or high gets free hunting or fishing not sure

That's not specified by ODNR, I'm over 30%; here's the excerpt...

Ohio residents who are holders of veteran’s license plates displaying the international wheelchair symbol - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, deer permit, spring or fall turkey permits and Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

• Certain permanently disabled veterans who are Ohio residents - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, deer permit, turkey permit, and Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

• Ohio residents who are Former Prisoners of War - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, and Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp. All other licenses and permits are required. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

No disability exemption for fishing.

Found here: http://ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/exemptions.aspx

Dan44149
06-22-2011, 09:30 PM

Did you get my PM?

CatfishinFreak
06-26-2011, 10:58 AM
yeah sent ya another one also thanks dan i appreciate it

Whaler
06-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Ohio used to give anyone that turned 66 a free license for life but they changed that several years ago and now they cost $10.00 .

Dan44149
07-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Ohio has some wacky fees... And the licensing system is a lil jacked. I'm born and raised North Carolinian.... $40 + $15 federal waterfowl stamp gives you the Sportsman's License there. Small game, large game (6 deer tags, 2 turkey tags, 2 wild boar tags, 2 black bear tags) waterfowl, upland birds, and freshwater fishing in NC. Can't wait to move back. Plus, you can hunt deer with a rifle and deer season runs from Labor Day weekend through Jan 1st... Only the first month is archery. The rest is gun season. Deer herd keeps getting larger too. Now that I'm off of my soapbox.... Lol

DaleM
07-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Virginia and West Virginia are about the same. A friend that lives in Va. told me they can get 25+ deer a year if they have the correct licenses. He did say that the deer here are Bigger in Ohio, in most cases though.

Sharp Charge
07-02-2011, 12:00 PM
VA has some wacky hunting laws too. I didn't mess with it when I was stationed down there. You can use a rifle from the ground, but have to use shotgun from a 6' or higher elevated platform if I recall correctly. Then with the shotgun it's got to be buck shot too.

Eh oh well, I'm home now. lol

Dan44149
07-02-2011, 12:14 PM
VA has some wacky hunting laws too. I didn't mess with it when I was stationed down there. You can use a rifle from the ground, but have to use shotgun from a 6' or higher elevated platform if I recall correctly. Then with the shotgun it's got to be buck shot too.

Eh oh well, I'm home now. lol

Lol I don't think highly of the intelligence level of the VA Wildlife officials.

Dan44149
07-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Virginia and West Virginia are about the same. A friend that lives in Va. told me they can get 25+ deer a year if they have the correct licenses. He did say that the deer here are Bigger in Ohio, in most cases though.

Yeah deer are a little bigger here than western NC deer, and a lot bigger than eastern NC deer, that's for sure (as far as body mass). I just have to attribute a lot of the problems in this state's (OH) game laws to the abundance of tree huggers here. You can't drive a single mile down I-77 sometimes without seeing a dead deer on the side of the road.

DaleM
07-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeah deer are a little bigger here than western NC deer, and a lot bigger than eastern NC deer, that's for sure (as far as body mass). I just have to attribute a lot of the problems in this state's (OH) game laws to the abundance of tree huggers here. You can't drive a single mile down I-77 sometimes without seeing a dead deer on the side of the road.

I totally agree. I think they should open it up to more deer for sure. I was Stationed at Seymour Johnson ( Goldsboro NC) so that area was way East. Had lots of deer but smaller. Still a lot of fun was had for sure. First time I ever saw dogs used But after walking around those woods ( forest) I know why now.
A lot of great memories for sure, even after 40 + years

rcjohnson
09-08-2011, 09:56 AM
I recently tracked down a lifelong friend of mine. We lost track of each other while in the military. He now lives in New York St. and due to his agent orange exposure he is 100% disabled. New York seems to be very Veteran friendly. He pays nothing for fishing/hunting license. Free tags for any vehicle in his name, including his boat. Absolutely no taxes of any kind, state or federal.

retiredfisherman
09-16-2011, 12:54 AM
In Illinois a disabled vet gets his hunting and fishing licenses for free plus a free pass to any state park in Illinois. I also get my license plates for free for life. DISABLED VET PLATES