PDA

View Full Version : School Buses On Four Lane Road-Info

c. j. stone
03-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Was stopped for several minutes during "urban" rush hour behind 40-50 cars in our two East bound lanes yesterday. I figured must be an accident. Looked way up the road and saw a large school bus on the other side of the four lane headed West bound with someone wheeling a handicapped person from the bus to a house well back off the road. What all these people ahead of me(at least the first two!) did not know is that if a school bus is stopped on the other side of a four lane highway(going in the opposite direction from you), the law says you are not required to stop for it. Just for info.

Hook N Book
03-29-2011, 09:30 PM
You're absolutely correct. It sounds like the Bus service needs to change the route a bit.
I see the same thing here in the city with just regular school buses. I guess people rather be on the safe side.

krm
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
The law states that you don't have to stop on a four lane DIVIDED highway. Technically, is a yellow line considered "divided?" I'm not sure it is...

Just checked the ORC, and it looks like the rule pertaining to being "divided" has been changed. w00t!

shroomhunter
03-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Here is rule #3 straight from the Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws, it states;
If the bus is stopped on a street or road which has four or more lanes, only traffic proceeding in the same direction as the bus must stop.

When it comes to school buses I figure if I don't know for certain, err on the side of caution, those couple minutes I sit there really are inconsequential compared to the amount of time I'd be stopped if I ran over a child.

The law is different in Michigan, you must stop regardless unless it is a divided highway. Ignorance of the law is no excuse they say.

harle96
03-30-2011, 06:37 AM
Thank you mushroom, this is my biggest pet peves.... In other words.

If a bus unloads on the curb lane of a 4 lane road, the next full lane would be considered the no passage lane while stopped.

The 2 on coming lanes can pass without stopping.

No one does this, BTW.

FISNFOOL
03-30-2011, 06:59 AM
" Thank you mushroom, this is my biggest pet peves.... In other words.

If a bus unloads on the curb lane of a 4 lane road, the next full lane would be considered the no passage lane while stopped.

The 2 on coming lanes can pass without stopping.

No one does this, BTW."

CORRECT

In OHIO you can continue if the school bus is not on your side of a 4 lane highway. You can use either lane. Bus Drivers are not permitted to discharge passengers to cross a four lane highway. "Divided into four or more traffic lanes" means marked lanes. Not a physical barrier between lanes.

ORC 4511.75 Amended by 128th General Assembly ch. 7, SB 79, 1, eff. 10/6/2009.

(C) Where a highway has been divided into four or more traffic lanes, a driver of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley need not stop for a school bus approaching from the opposite direction which has stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging any school child, persons attending programs offered by community boards of mental health and county boards of developmental disabilities, or children attending programs offered by head start agencies. The driver of any vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley overtaking the school bus shall comply with division (A) of this section.

(D) School buses operating on divided highways or on highways with four or more traffic lanes shall receive and discharge all school children, persons attending programs offered by community boards of mental health and county boards of developmental disabilities, and children attending programs offered by head start agencies on their residence side of the highway.