PDA

View Full Version : No contract , prepaid cell phone with roll over minutes ?

yonderfishin
02-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I have a cheapie verizon prepaid cell phone , I was buying $20 worth of time on it per month but since I rarely ever use it I lose the time if I dont add more by a certain time. That should be illegal, its literally stealing from me , so I am wondering if anybody knows of a deal where you can buy time on your phone but dont lose it ?

Bluefinn
02-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I've been useing tracphone for years. Prepaid & lots of options. Minutes roll over. Just have to buy more minutes before they or the time limit runs out. Buy the double the minutes option , pays for itself in no time.

krm
02-22-2011, 12:22 PM
If you've got a verizon phone, go check out http://www.pagepluscellular.com/

They use Verizon's networks, and you can use a Verizon phone, as long as it's out of contract. I had them for about a year, and the cell service was really good. (I've since gone to Walmart Family Mobile unlimited on our 3 phones for a lot less)

As long as you add another card just before the end of three months, the minutes roll over. So, you can buy a $10 card every three months, which is pretty cheap.

M.Magis
02-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I have the same thing as yonderfishin, and I don’t think those two options are any different than what we have now. He’s looking for something that never expires. Yonderfishin, have you tried buying less than $20 at a time? Maybe buy online and only get $10 worth?

yonderfishin
02-22-2011, 01:04 PM
My problem is that the cell phone is hardly ever used , if I keep having to buy more time every so often in order to not lose what I already have , I will rack up a huge amount of time that will never get used. I just like to carry a phone when driving out of town or while fishing in case of emergency , I dont like talking on the phone.

M.Magis
02-22-2011, 02:39 PM
I just thought of something, and tell me if I’m wrong. My original prepaid service was through Alltel. Now it’s Verizon since they bought them out. I mention that because I know my “plan” is not a typical Verizon option, my Alltel service was grandfathered in. You may have something different. The minutes I buy never expire. All I have to do is use my phone every so often, 90 days I think, and my phone keeps working. If I don’t use my phone in that amount of time my phone will be turned off and I’ll have to switch services. I always remember this because my Alltel plan is a lot cheaper than if I had to switch over to Verizon prepaid. Do Verizon minutes expire? I didn’t realize that they did.

M.Magis
02-22-2011, 03:08 PM
If yonderfishin uses his phone like I do, $25/month is entirely too much. On average, I spend about $5/month.

freyedknot
02-22-2011, 03:40 PM
i have boost mobile. i only have to buy time every 3 months and it does roll over. the page plus is also very good and is verizon service with rollover. with boost i can buy as little as $10.00 every 3 months to keep my service. i can reload time right from the phone w/ a credit card.

bkr43050
02-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Are these plans that everyone is mentioning only for phone calls? No texting? I am just curious because I have never looked in to any of these myself. It is at least making me curious.

yonderfishin
02-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Heres my way of thinking, though I know it may be considered "outdated". If I buy $10 worth of time and dont use it for say ..3 years , it should still be there after 3 years , and I shouldnt be told by the company that I have to buy more time or forfeit what I have. I know there is not much money to be made by a company offering a service like that but there has to be enough people like me so that there should be a market. I literally may not use the cell phone once in 6 months so its a ripoff for me , but there isnt even any pay phones anymore so its almost a necessity.

Since Im on the topic of cell phones , heres a related story. They were asking people on the radio if they would be willing to turn over their cell phones while going into a concert or sporting event if they were banned , or would they just stay home. This woman calls and says she is a wife and mother of small children and she cant afford to be without her cell phone in case there is an emergency so she will just stay home. :confused: These phone companies sure do have people fooled. Is it really THAT important to be constantly attached to a phone that you cant go 1 to 3 hours without one ? Sure, something could happen but thats life , the sky could fall or aliens could invade too but it probably wont happen in that 1 to 3 hours your hand isnt attached to that phone. No wonder cell phones are so popular , people think they really cant exist without them. We are all sheep.

M.Magis
02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Are these plans that everyone is mentioning only for phone calls? No texting? I am just curious because I have never looked in to any of these myself. It is at least making me curious.

I donít know about everyone elseís, but I can text, send pics, send and get emails and that good stuff. Iím not sure what all that costs though. My phone calls are 15 cents/minute. Since my Alltel plan crossed over, thatís all I ever pay. No lost minutes either, I just have to use my phone once every 90 days. I know with a normal Verizon prepaid plan you pay for minutes, plus $1/day every day you use the phone. That hardly seems like a deal to me.
I could no longer justify paying $90/month for the wife and I to use the phones about 10 minutes/week, if that.

iam20fan
02-23-2011, 02:32 AM
cricket paygo phones. thats what i have

ohiojmj
02-23-2011, 08:01 AM
I use Tracfone. You can buy a 1 year/400 minutes card plus get 200 minutes free for about $100. Phone was $15. Texts cost .3 minutes each. minutes roll over when you buy the next 30 day, 90 day , or 1 year card.

ironman172
02-23-2011, 08:07 AM
I use page plus....the minutes are good for 4 months before you loose them(which I have before) now I use the phone a little more and just add minutes before they expire....then good for another 4 months:D....not bad 10 or 25 dollars for 4 months of use....

and there aren't to many places that I can't use it....even up on the hill at our cabin I get reception....a friend can't get any till he is almost to Circleville with his phone