PDA

View Full Version : anchor size???

jeffmo
07-12-2004, 08:19 PM
i'm looking for a an anchor for my boat and i can't seem to find any information on the internet as far as the right size.
i've got a 17' aluminum deep v,walk through with a 125 merc.,i know what type of anchor i need for lake erie but i have no idea on what weight to get.
any suggestions?
thanks guys!

zipperneck52
07-12-2004, 09:36 PM
If you already know what type of anchor needed the weight is not the issue. The best kind have a long [18"] center shaft with a good quality shackle and at least 4-6" of chain attached. Also, have at least 150' of good quality rope cause when you get a wind going the longer the lead [line out] the better your chances of the anchor holding.

DavidWS10
07-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Jeffmo, my boat is a 17' fiberglass bowrider, deep-V hull, and I use an 18 lbs. Richter anchor when out on the Ohio River. I've got 250' of rope on board, but rarely have to use more than about 120'. I've also got 18" of chain at the anchor. In my mind, and despite the fact that this is my first year boating, I'm sold on the Richter anchors. They grab solid regardles of the bottom composition, and I haven't had any problems pulling it up - even when I thought my boat was sinking. Madcatter pulled up a tree with his this past winter down on the Cumberland River, near Clarkesville.

Lundy
07-13-2004, 07:18 AM
Jeffmo,

The type I use is at West Marine and many other places also. I don't know the proper name for it but it is a center shaft with a pivoting sharp triangle shaped flute on each side. These don't really work by weight but by size. These are shown in the catalogs and at West Marine by boat length. An example is they show 17-22ft boat buy this size and so on.

I used to have trouble anchoring on Erie, even when I purchased this anchor. The problem was that even though I knew that a chain was recommended I thought it would work without one, WRONG!. I put on 5' of (Lowe's)heavy plastic coated chain, combined with 150' of rope and it grabs very quickly and doesn't break free, every time now.

A good rule of thunb is 3 times water depth for letting out rope. This will hold you even in some pretty nasty waves.

Kim

Fish Tale
07-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Jeffmo,
I have the Guardian model G-7 with 6' of heavy steel chain attached.It is rated for 17-22' boats.It works better than the 15# navy anchor I had before;and much easier to lift and pull from the bottom.This anchor holds very well in mud , sand and the clay of lake erie.
My boat is a 18' alum. Starcraft

Check this out---

http://www.ceaco.com.au/fortress.html

MAINAH
07-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Jeffmo, ZIPPER is right on, the weight is not as important as design. Each anchor is designed for different uses/bottom. LUNDY is corect about three times the depth for line length. You should have some chain between the two. The plastic coated kind is nice cause it won't damage your boat. Good luck.

jeffmo
07-13-2004, 08:57 PM
thanks guys,i sure appreciate the help.finding what i need here in central ohio is kinda tough so i'll probably end up ordering one.
i had to cancel out on our ontario trip this year so the erie trip this fall is gonna have to be my fishing trip for th year(i'll probably bring more home anyway! :) ).
lundy,i remember my older brother having the same problem getting his anchor to hold up on erie and the chain did the trick.since i always ended up on anchor duty,it made my job ALOT easier.
thanks again guys.

LakeRaider
07-16-2004, 02:44 PM
I have found anything over 10 hp. in an Evinrude works for an anchor. The longshaft mota releases easier when hung up. :D LOL Just kidden guys.
Raider<><>

Shortdrift
07-16-2004, 03:13 PM
An old Water Witch works good too, especially if you leave the tiller handle extended and the starting rope attached. :D ;) :cool:

LakeRaider
07-16-2004, 11:09 PM
WaterWitch? You know my mother-in-law? LOL :cool: Raider<><>