PDA

View Full Version : Joes Flies

dadofalltrades
08-01-2010, 06:06 PM
After my experience with my UL rod on Clear Creek, I was trying to figure out a better lure than my rooster tail. I swear those blades don't spin like they used to. I like the larger Mepps, but the smaller ones don't have very attractive hair on the treble. I ran across a series of spinners today called Joes Flies. They look almost like a cross between a fly and a rooster tail and they all have trailer hooks for short strikes. Anyone have any experiences with them?

Buzzin
08-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I bought my first 2 about a month ago size 8 black gnat. I find them just as good if not better than my ole 1/8 once gold and silver rooster tails. Great for panfish! the blades do not spin as fast as a rooster tail but well worth the money imo.

bopperattacker
08-01-2010, 08:08 PM
you might just need a higher ratio reel. Some reels I have the ratio is to low, and won't get the blade to spin good in the water.. Might have nothing to do with the lure.

mike003
08-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I build my own inline spinners from components I buy from Pen-Tac, www.pen-tac.com. Their french blades, (Mepps Style) start spinning as soon as they hit the water. They run from size 000 to size 6, and it's easy to build them with a pre-tied fly in place of a hook. As far as Joe's Flies go, I found one on the bank of the Chagrin River years ago, tied it on my flyrod, and proceeded to catch a 6lb. carp, so I sure won't say anything bad about them.

andesangler
08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't know about Joe's Flies, so I can't help there. But your problem with the rooster tails is common with the style that has the blade attached to the shaft with a clevis. After casting, give it a little wrist snap just before you start winding it in, to start the blade spinning, and most of the time, it will continue to spin even if you slow it way down. If that doesn't work, then get a few Vibric rooster tails, which have a shaft-through-blade design that spins more reliably. I also like Panther Martin spinners, which are similar to the Vibrics. Cabela's sometimes has them on sale, and you can often find them on eBay as well. Good luck!

andesangler

Rybo
08-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Blue Wolf (something wolf anyway) spin MUCH more reliably. Rooster Tail brand is garbage in my opinion.

MassillonBuckeye
08-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Have a coworker who swears by em. Different sizes. I think he said he changes the blades to a bigger blade(available on their site). I know I checked out their site and they looked really nice. Stinger hooks for those short bites.
http://www.joesflies.com/

Spaniel235
08-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Our entire family have been using joeflies for trout and panfish for years..............really a great lure...................

Ohio Gas
08-02-2010, 01:49 PM
They are killer on stocked trout, 2 split shots about 18" above the spinner cast or slow troll. The little treble catches every thing, good and bad. They are also very good on steel but get mangled up. We used to catch crappies buy the ton at Pine & evans lake by row- trolling them

CrappyFisherman
08-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Are they available in any stores here?

Buzzin mentioned that the size 8 black gnat was good. Any others I should get?
I plan to use it/them on a light rod for panfish and trout.

Thanks very much.

Spaniel235
08-04-2010, 02:12 PM
I know Gander, Erie Outfitters, and Cabela's carry them....

London calling
08-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Get some bubble bee paterns in joes flys fro panfish. As for spinners a pantehr martin silver blade yellow w red dots is a killer bait for anything anywhere. I floated the hocking last friday morning from 7:30-11:30 and the following fish were brought to the yak - 1 pumpkin seed sunfish, 1 rock bass 10 inches, 9 smallmouth to 17 inches and a 4 lbs channel cat. Hows that for a mixed bag!

CrappyFisherman
08-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Thank you.

Spaniel235, using the internet, I found that a whole bunch of stores carry them, including KMart, WalMart, etc.

The article I read was about the company more than anything else, and how it all started. Nice story.

chriscreek
08-04-2010, 03:28 PM
i have used joes flies for my whole life they work great for small streams. they will catch just about anything. they also have a 1/4 oz spinner that is great for smallmouth. they do not last very long but are worth it. they dont last much longer than a season for me