PDA

View Full Version : Deep Freezer Thaw And Walleye Meat?

NUM1FIRE
08-27-2008, 06:53 PM
wife noticed today that our stand up deep freezer was partically thawed out due to the door being open about 1/2 in or so. i got in it late saturday afternoon towards evening. we have other things in there that i am not worried about but what i am worried about is the walleye meat i have in there. some bags are still fully frozen and a couple are partially still frozen and there are 2 that is totally dethawed but is still very cool to the touch. i had a bag of ice in that that wasnt totally dethawed. everything was still very cool to touch. my question is do you think the meat will be ok once everything deep freezes again or should i end up throwing the bags that was totally or partically dethawed away. alot of time and money in that meat to just throw it away. talk about being mad and upset. thanks for any input

Gju42486
08-27-2008, 06:56 PM
do no refreeze the thawed stuff, grab the deep fryer and start cooking. The mostly frozen stuff will be fine. I will give you a call in an hr or so man- i got your missed call, im at work now

misfit
08-27-2008, 07:10 PM
if the thawed fish temperature didn't get above 40 degrees you can refreeze it as well as the rest of the fish.bacteia can't grow below about 41 degrees,so it is stiff safe to refreeze to that point.
i've refrozen meats and fish before,and i'm still kicking;)

ps.................it may slightly affect quality(taste and texture)but you may not notice it,but it won't be harmful.

NUM1FIRE
08-27-2008, 07:37 PM
i dont believe it ever got over 40 degrees. the one thawed bag of fish is still really cool like when you soak fish over night in the frig. and the other bag still still had ice in the bag. plus we have been eating our fish deep fried and once over the grill but we are going to cook it baked or fried from now on. so maybe i wont even notice a difference

fishingguy
08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Fry it up!!

iam20fan
08-27-2008, 07:46 PM
for best quality eat the walleye for dinner tonight. make some fish taco's or something. rub it with a creole rub then cook in a pan with a little olive oil

coolerzfull
08-27-2008, 08:06 PM
NUM1FIRE, I know how you are feeling right now. Over the summer the kids didn't close the door all the way and thawed ours also. After that lesson I bought a freezer alarm and on of them latches that you put on a door with a lock. Works sweet and it was a hell of allot cheaper then a mess of beef or fish.

misfit
08-27-2008, 08:27 PM
sounds like it should be fine.as mentioned,the flavor quality may be slighter lower,but probably not even noticeable since it wasn't above freezing for long.

swantucky
08-27-2008, 09:09 PM
I had the same thing happen a couple years ago, exactly your situation. The frozen stuff was refrozen, the thawed was cooked that night and shared with neighbors.

Orlando
08-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Same thing happened to me a few years ago except I lost it all. Made me sick throwing out all those bags of crappie and walleye fillets

Tredder
08-28-2008, 07:01 AM
One problem with re-freezing food that has thawed is that bacteria "can" grow in any temperature above freezing. If it couldn't, then nothing would ever go bad in your refrigerator.
So, if something frozen has thawed out, it's recommended that it not be refrozen so that the product doesn't become a risk when it's thawed and left in the refrigerator a second time.

NUM1FIRE
08-28-2008, 07:28 AM
thanks everyone for the replys and after talking to george about the meat situation. i have deceided to refreeze the meat and see what happens since the freezer never thawed out completely. there was still ice in the freezer and there were still alot of things still frozen in there. so nothing ever got to room temperature. and i am going to look into one of those freezer alarms that coolerzfull mentioned.

Fish-N-Fool
08-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Last summer, I had around 75lbs of fillets and a half gallon of cheeks thaw nearly completely, but were still cold/fresh. I ended up calling a few guys I know and orgainzing a big fry out at a local tree service company. We fried all the fish and nearly 100lbs of french fries - a guy brought a keg of beer and we had a big party with horshoes/cornhole/volley ball. When morning came there was maybe one plate of fish that was not eaten and I made some new friends I had never met before.

Good luck with the re-freeze.

NUM1FIRE
08-29-2008, 06:37 PM
thanks i will let everyone know monday night how the refreeze filets are. i invited the inlaws over on monday and we are going to have a fish fry.

snake69
08-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Just holler when ya turn on the deep fryer...I'm only 20 minutes away!:p

NUM1FIRE
08-29-2008, 10:19 PM
your more than welcome to come over on monday if you want snake